Good trail/enduro shock?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Good trail/enduro shock?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 15:56 Quote
Hey guys,

Currently I’m riding a 2021 banshee prime with an Ohlins ttx22m coil shock. I was running an Ohlins coil fork as well but after a few issues with my local Ohlins center I’ve gone to a zeb and now I’m looking to get a new rear shock.

I’m about 185lbs, ride trail/enduro with some bike park mixed in. I like riding harder lines and taking all the side hits but I also ride some rooty cross country tails as well. My main issues with the ttx22m is the low speed compression feels over damped and the rebound is too fast (only ride the slowest rebound setting). This resorts in a completely dead feel that packs up or an extremely fast rebounding rear that feels like a pogo stick under my butt. I’ve had the shock retuned, which made it better, but I still find it dead feeling.

My options are a Mara pro, super deluxe ultimate, x2, suntour tri air, cc double barrel, or a coil shock from a different brand. I love the small bump of the coil but I also wouldn’t mind dropping a significant amount of weight for an air shock as well.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 20:25 Quote
I personally feel like the very slight weight difference of coil vs air you likely wouldn't even notice, but coil just rides so much better. Coil shock with a climb switch. I just got on a new bike with an EXT Storia and it's awesome

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 2:17 Quote
sdaly wrote:
I personally feel like the very slight weight difference of coil vs air you likely wouldn't even notice, but coil just rides so much better. Coil shock with a climb switch. I just got on a new bike with an EXT Storia and it's awesome

Going from the Ohlins coil to say a super deluxe ultimate for example saves 1.25lbs from the bike. I wouldn’t say that’s a slight difference. Especially not when my trail bike is weighing almost 35 pounds

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 5:49 Quote
I just think the weight penalty is worth it to have suspension that works and is reliable. I suck big time on climbs and 1.25 lbs ain't gonna make enough difference to justify the sacrifice on DH

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 6:48 Quote
Keegansamonster wrote:
Hey guys,

Currently I’m riding a 2021 banshee prime with an Ohlins ttx22m coil shock. I was running an Ohlins coil fork as well but after a few issues with my local Ohlins center I’ve gone to a zeb and now I’m looking to get a new rear shock.

I’m about 185lbs, ride trail/enduro with some bike park mixed in. I like riding harder lines and taking all the side hits but I also ride some rooty cross country tails as well. My main issues with the ttx22m is the low speed compression feels over damped and the rebound is too fast (only ride the slowest rebound setting). This resorts in a completely dead feel that packs up or an extremely fast rebounding rear that feels like a pogo stick under my butt. I’ve had the shock retuned, which made it better, but I still find it dead feeling.

My options are a Mara pro, super deluxe ultimate, x2, suntour tri air, cc double barrel, or a coil shock from a different brand. I love the small bump of the coil but I also wouldn’t mind dropping a significant amount of weight for an air shock as well.

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 9:26 Quote
I currently ride a Banshee Titan with a super deluxe air with a light compression tune and am very happy with the suspension performance. I prefer it to the stock 2020 x2 which I believe had a medium tune which didn't feel as compliant or lively.

I have also ridden a friend's Prime v3 with a Zeb and 2020 dhx2 coil, and was really impressed with the performance. His build was also around ~35 lbs but it honestly didn't bother me as it felt as capable as most brand's enduro bikes. If you were trying to go with a more trail focused build I could see trying to save weight but seeing as you picked a Zeb over a Lyrik it might not make much difference. I will note my friend with the Prime did end up switching over to a Titan

I also had a Phantom v3 (great bike), which I tried with the stock DPX2 and DHX2 coil. I had it built up relatively light wheels and parts (~31lbs) and didn't really notice any difference climbing when switching to coil. That said I ended up going back to air as 115mm is really to short for coil as I had to run a firm spring and the bumper ate up some travel

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 12:20 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
I currently ride a Banshee Titan with a super deluxe air with a light compression tune and am very happy with the suspension performance. I prefer it to the stock 2020 x2 which I believe had a medium tune which didn't feel as compliant or lively.

I have also ridden a friend's Prime v3 with a Zeb and 2020 dhx2 coil, and was really impressed with the performance. His build was also around ~35 lbs but it honestly didn't bother me as it felt as capable as most brand's enduro bikes. If you were trying to go with a more trail focused build I could see trying to save weight but seeing as you picked a Zeb over a Lyrik it might not make much difference. I will note my friend with the Prime did end up switching over to a Titan

I also had a Phantom v3 (great bike), which I tried with the stock DPX2 and DHX2 coil. I had it built up relatively light wheels and parts (~31lbs) and didn't really notice any difference climbing when switching to coil. That said I ended up going back to air as 115mm is really to short for coil as I had to run a firm spring and the bumper ate up some travel

Only reason I ended up with a zeb was because I could get a better deal on one at the time and it was already lighter than my Ohlins rxf36 m.2 coil that I was running. Even at 35ish pounds the bike doesn’t feel bad at all, just not sure if it’s worth it for me to stay with coil or not. And this Ohlins coil has kind of left a bad taste in my mouth and I don’t know if I want to go to another coil and screw around with finding a good coil weight again. I would love a titan but 85% of my riding doesn’t justify a titan at all lol.

Also how much do you weigh? Trying to figure if I should go with a lighter compression tune or not.

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 23:04 Quote
175lbs, and yeah the Prime is definitely a bit more lively and versatile than the Titan. Fortunately I have a 21 stumpy for the mellower stuff

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005710
Mobile Version of Website