Fox 38 Grip 2 harsh rebound

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fox 38 Grip 2 harsh rebound
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 18:04 Quote
I'm trying to set up my 2021 Fox 38 Grip 2 factory fork and after two rides it's harsh as hell! I am bouncing all over the place and it feels like the rebound is way too fast.

My settings are:
Riding weight 200 lbs
PSI 95
Sag 25% (42mm of sag on 170mm fork)
Tokens installed 0
HSC open
LSC 2 clicks of damping cw from open
HSR closed (Fox recommends 2 clicks out from fully closed which I tried and was way harsh)
LSR closed (Fox recommends 3 clicks out from fully closed which I tried and was way harsh)

I have checked the air spring and made sure there is not a ton of grease in the negative chamber which Fox forks are known for. I have also made sure there is no air in the lowers by pressing the bleed buttons. I am getting about 95% travel out of the fork on big hits which makes me think the air pressure and compression are good and the harshness is not coming from there.

Anyone have any ideas? Fox does not list a slow rebound tune on their website but it looks like the rebound valving diagram lists three 17.35mm OD x 7mm ID x 0.10 thick shims that make up the rebound shim stack. I was really hoping to not have to mess with the valves though. Something just seems off.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 19:54 Quote
Harsh and bouncing aren't terms that I've heard side by side. Typically when people have said harsh, the result has been a rebound that is too slow and a fork that isnt being allowed to recover to the appropriate ride height. Have you ridden the fork in other settings to experiment?

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 20:39 Quote
Yes I have changed the settings and am going for a ride tomorrow. I've put in two tokens (Fox factory installed tokens at 170mm of travel) and have dropped the air pressure down to 90 psi to achieve the same 25% sag. I've sped up the HSR to 4 clicks out from closed and LSR to 5 clicks out from closed which are both Fox's recommended settings for my weight and psi.

I was just reading a thread on MTBR https://www.mtbr.com/threads/luftkappe-in-a-fox-38.1156401/ where @Dougal mentioned the midvalve on the Grip2 is pretty tight and running rebound closed can actually have a big effect on damping.

I am thinking there is a possibility I had the air spring too high and the rebound too slow.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 20:55 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
Yes I have changed the settings and am going for a ride tomorrow. I've put in two tokens (Fox factory installed tokens at 170mm of travel) and have dropped the air pressure down to 90 psi to achieve the same 25% sag. I've sped up the HSR to 4 clicks out from closed and LSR to 5 clicks out from closed which are both Fox's recommended settings for my weight and psi.

I was just reading a thread on MTBR https://www.mtbr.com/threads/luftkappe-in-a-fox-38.1156401/ where @Dougal mentioned the midvalve on the Grip2 is pretty tight and running rebound closed can actually have a big effect on damping.

I am thinking there is a possibility I had the air spring too high and the rebound too slow.

Good job on starting at recommended settings but be careful not to make too many changes all at once otherwise you might end up misinterpreting changes. I speak from experience. Gets very confusing and frustrating.

One thing at a time may take longer but really helps to understand how each change effects the feeling of the fork and ultimately helps to better tune it to your liking.

Changing air pressure, tokens and rebound settings all at once may make it hard to pick what adjustment made what change to the feeling of your fork. I guess if it all feels better and that's all you care about then you got lucky.

Mike also makes a valid point, sometimes the harsh feeling is the exact opposite of what people think in terms of damping and pressure. They either have air pressure that is too low and the fork is riding deeper in its travel making it feel harsh or they have too much damping and the fork or shock cannot react quick enough.

Always a good idea to "see how much worse you can make it" because you might actually be surprised when it feels better. Very counterintuitive though. Worse case, it is actually worse!

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 12:45 Quote
give it a few more rides, you might just have tight bushings and seals that are throwing it off, my 36 took a number of rides to loosen up and feel good when it was new.
PS: I use the cane creek guide (http://canecreek.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/DB_Quick-tune_Sheet.pdf) when setting up new suspension find the order it goes in gives good results

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 20:14 Quote
I figured it out. I had the settings way way off. The spring must have been way too soft so it was riding in the end stroke of the travel. The rebound was way too slow making it pack up and the compression was too soft also letting it ride deep in the stroke. I've got it pretty close to dialed now and it feels amazing!

Riding weight 200 lbs
PSI 100
Sag 34 mm 20% on 170 mm fork
1 token
HSC 6 out from closed
LSC 11 out from closed
HSR 4 out from closed
LSR 7 out from closed

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005004
Mobile Version of Website