Banshee V3 frame shock choice?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Banshee V3 frame shock choice?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 15:33 Quote
I’m trying to decide what shock to run in the rear of my prime. I’m not too happy with what I’m running right now but I can’t decide between a different coil shock or go back to air. If I went to air I’d be looking at a used topaz, a new suntour tri air, super deluxe ultimate, or a Mara pro.

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 16:59 Quote
What’s wrong with what you’ve got?

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 17:35 Quote
DHhack wrote:

Just not getting along with it. Rebound tune was way too fast and low speed compression is overly damped leaving it feeling dead. I had it retuned to a “better” tune which helped with rebound speed a little (went from closed to using 2 clicks from closed) however, it didn’t help my low speed compression issue very much. So after spending $800 on the shock, $200 on a retune, and $300 on different coils trying to find the right fit, I’m just sort of done with it at this point.

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 18:26 Quote
Keegansamonster wrote:
DHhack wrote:

Just not getting along with it. Rebound tune was way too fast and low speed compression is overly damped leaving it feeling dead. I had it retuned to a “better” tune which helped with rebound speed a little (went from closed to using 2 clicks from closed) however, it didn’t help my low speed compression issue very much. So after spending $800 on the shock, $200 on a retune, and $300 on different coils trying to find the right fit, I’m just sort of done with it at this point.

Makes sense. DVO has really good customer support and if you have the tools and the patience you can tune it yourself and they will provide you with suggestions on what to do.

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 22:05 Quote
Topaz and tri air are siblings but mara pro is head and shoulders above. I replaced my rs sdu with a topaz t3, miles ahead performance wise, I would say avoid rs but whatever you choose between the other 3 you are covered, all user friendly, manitou and dvo excellent cs. Can't comment on sr cs though

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 1:49 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Topaz and tri air are siblings but mara pro is head and shoulders above. I replaced my rs sdu with a topaz t3, miles ahead performance wise, I would say avoid rs but whatever you choose between the other 3 you are covered, all user friendly, manitou and dvo excellent cs. Can't comment on sr cs though

I found a Mara pro but it’s well over $200 more than the suntour. Is it worth the extra $200?

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 6:52 Quote
I had a prime v3 for a few months before going to a titan. I didn't get along too well with the stock dpx2, so tried a DHX2 and it totally transformed the bike, it was crazy how much i could get away with on that thing. but i eventually went with a titan as i was riding more demanding stuff that was long climb/long descent, and the prime was more of a compromise.

That being said if i were to do it all again i'd probably go with a super deluxe + megneg, or a float x2. the coil on a short stroke like that isn't ideal cause you have to run a relatively firm spring to get the sag at the zone where banshee's are designed for. ive heard a few people putting mara pros on their primes, could be good, but some of the DVOs won't fit the frame, and the DVOs that ive used have been shit out of the box, so i would try a mara pro if you have to get something other than rs/fox.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 13:04 Quote
Interested in what people are saying here. I’ve run the megneg on a super deluxe on both my ‘19 Commencal meta and ‘21 Kona process 134 and they’ve made the superdeluxe work so much better. I swapped to a MRP hazzard coil on the meta and coils have won me over. I’m selling the Kona to build up a banshee prime frame with either a 150/160 lyric and am keen on ditching the dpx2 for a coil to make the prime l an all round burly trail bike and keep the meta for park days/races, maybe throw a Zeb on it down the line.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.004842
Mobile Version of Website