Is my rim dead or fixable?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Is my rim dead or fixable?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 6:27 Quote
While riding a downhill track I’d ridden many times before I came across this log in the middle of the trail. I was going to fast to stop, so I attempted to jump over it. My back wheel couldn’t quite clear it as it was a pretty big log, and I went flying over the bars. After inspecting my bike, I found that the rim was bent, and I’d gotten a flat. Spokes we’re super loose as well, and the rear rim wasn’t completely true.

Pictures of rear rim, both sides:
https://imgur.com/a/oOvOmZk

How fixable is this? And if so, how would I go about it? Or am I just better off getting a new rim? I’m trying to go tubeless as well and don’t know how well it’s going to work on this rim.

Any help is seriously appreciated!!!

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 8:18 Quote
It's fixable, but you'll need to bend it back to being round and the rim isn't going to be close to the original strength. I'd price up a new rim to be honest.

Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 3:02 Quote
mjoelk wrote:
While riding a downhill track I’d ridden many times before I came across this log in the middle of the trail. I was going to fast to stop, so I attempted to jump over it. My back wheel couldn’t quite clear it as it was a pretty big log, and I went flying over the bars. After inspecting my bike, I found that the rim was bent, and I’d gotten a flat. Spokes we’re super loose as well, and the rear rim wasn’t completely true.

Pictures of rear rim, both sides:
https://imgur.com/a/oOvOmZk

How fixable is this? And if so, how would I go about it? Or am I just better off getting a new rim? I’m trying to go tubeless as well and don’t know how well it’s going to work on this rim.

Any help is seriously appreciated!!!

This rim is toast, it's not only side bend but it looks also up-down bend or even little chip-off which is almost impossible to repair (not to mention possible tubeless leak). New rim it is Smile

Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 6:41 Quote
This rim is toast. You can bend out dents in the bead/hood area but you CANNOT bend out a flat spot. The alloy is work hardened and will not be safe again...
You can look for a rim with a very similar ERD and reuse the spokes and nipples to build it up.

Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 7:14 Quote
Even if you manage to hammer it back to the original shape it will stay a weak spot because of metal fatique you get after bending alloy.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005223
Mobile Version of Website