Boost frame with non boost cranks!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Boost frame with non boost cranks!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 14:09 Quote
Hi guys i bouth a specialized enduro sworks frame with a shimano xtr non boost crank m9100, this cranks will work with the frame? and iwch is the max T chaingring to put the 32 or 34?

PLS HELP ME!

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 22:37 Quote
The M9100-1 1x12 crankset is Boost with a 52mm chainline so it will fit your frame. As far as I know there isn't a 'non Boost' version except for the 2x crankset.

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 9:07 Quote
Reaperactual wrote:
The M9100-1 1x12 crankset is Boost with a 52mm chainline so it will fit your frame. As far as I know there isn't a 'non Boost' version except for the 2x crankset.

the is 2 versions the 9100 with a 162 q factor and the 9120 with a 168 q factor, so the 9100 won't fit.

thx any way!

Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
Unless the Enduro has a super wide chain stay for some reason, or you want to run a really big chain ring, I don't see why non-boost cranks wouldn't work.

I run non-boost cranks on a boost frame with no issue and I have plenty of clearance with a 30T or even a 32T chainring. The chainline is better aligned to the bigger cogs that work the hardest.

Posted: Aug 6, 2021 at 0:59 Quote
danxbike wrote:
Reaperactual wrote:

the is 2 versions the 9100 with a 162 q factor and the 9120 with a 168 q factor, so the 9100 won't fit.

thx any way!

As above a non Boost crankset will fit and could give you an improved chainline but maybe not on a 1x12 drivetrain? Q factor will rarely cause a clearance issue.

If you have a 12speed drivetrain you'll need a little more chainring offset compared to 10 or 11speeds so possibly a Boost crankset would be better if that's the case?

I've got an older non Boost SLX M7000 crankset (49mm chainline) to fit onto my Boost mtb, 2.4" rear tyre and I'm fitting a bigger 32t chainring too. I still have plenty of all round clearance with this set up.

I don't know about your clearance for a 32 or 34t chainring specifically but maybe your bike could work with a non Boost crankset depending on your set up?

Posted: Aug 6, 2021 at 9:56 Quote
I have not consumed the 12 speed kool-aid yet so I am not intimately familiar, but I am not sure why 12 vs 11 would make a difference to whether a couple mm variation of chain line makes a difference. The distance between the smallest cog and largest cog are the same, they are just smushed closer together. I think different chainrings have different chain lines depending on manufacturer too, but maybe that is not the case with 12s

I would assume Q factor is only relevant if it was so narrow your foot or crank arm started to hit the chainstay.

Posted: Aug 6, 2021 at 11:54 Quote
Yeah, 12 speed cassette cogs are closer together and even though the chains are also narrower it can rub on the next big cog up on the small end of the cassette so typically 12speeds needs 5mm of offset compared to 3mm for 11speeds.

I've sipped at 12speed a couple of times, spat it out and decided 11speed is the one I like best. Wink

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005269
Mobile Version of Website