Pike RC 29+ rides fairly harsh

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Pike RC 29+ rides fairly harsh
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 14:30 Quote
I am sure this may have been answered before, but does anyone have any insight into the pike rc29 with a charger 2 rc damper? I got this thing a few months ago and swapped out my recon with it. I had the travel changed to 130 from 120 with a new debonair c1 spring. The first ride on it was pretty intolerable. I had the pressure and sag set to the recommended spec. Examining the volume spacers, the shop that built it up has 6 spacers in it. I reduced the amount of spacers and psi and it rode somewhat better, but blasting though rock gardens, roots, and sustained rocky terrain causes the bike to bounce all over the place. It damn near rides like a rigid bike. Is the damper in this thing just shit and need to be replaced with the 2.1 or do I need further adjustment? I'm 220lb, 85 psi in the fork with 3 volume reducers.

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 19:12 Quote
At 85 psi what is your sag %?

Sounds like your rebound may be way too fast. You may also have too many volume spacers and too low of psi.

Make sure that the negative and positive air springs are equalized. Let all the air out, pump up to 30 psi, cycle fork from full top out to compressed, air up more, repeat.

Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 5:28 Quote
I also tried a cheapo ebike with Recon fork and it put my Yeti with ZEB Select to shame in both comfort and control, I was pretty shocked. I think the Charger 2 / rc dampers are just shit tbh, then combined with the increased stiction from larger stanchions it's just a recipe for a harsher ride at low speeds where the increased stiffness or travel doesn't become an advantage but the overly preloaded damper and sticky wide stanchions becomes a disadvantage. I believe the Charger 2.1 is a big improvement but still it's not perfect either and most of these larger stanchion forks could do with the bushes burnishing to reduce stiction and a rebuild with more oil from new. Actually that reminds me, try rebuilding your air spring and do a lowers service, my ZEB needed a lowers service and more oil adding when I first got it. SRAM quality control is utter shite.

Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 14:16 Quote
I’ve got a Pike Ultimate which I assume has the C1 spring in it and a charger 2.1 damper. I also have what started life as a Yari but is now essentially a Lyrik - with a charger 2 rct3 damper and a C1 airspring.

I like both - I’d say the Pike is slightly livelier on the rebound if anything.

Some people have found they don’t get on with the C1 airspring and find it harsher than the B1. I can’t say I’ve noticed too much difference in use - but it does ride a bit higher more of the time. I haven’t found it harsh but at 166lbs I’m probably right in the sweet spot for average weight forks are aimed at. If you’re heavier you’re probably having to use a lot more pressure to get the relevant sag and it could be making the fork harsher. I’d say it’s more likely to be the C1 making it harsh than the charger 2 damper. Just IMO.

Posted: Aug 14, 2021 at 18:12 Quote
Thanks for the information. I took out 2 volume spacers and increased the psi to around 110. After I changed the fork travel I dont know if I ever had the sag set properly. Stupidly, I relied on the sag gauge on the stanchion instead of realizing it was off by 10% My 20% was actually 30% with the changed travel. So I was sagging too much and creating a harsher ride with all those reducers.I also adjusted the rebound to a middle ground, and may dial it back a little more.One thing I did notice when playing with the tokens was the grease used on the new airshaft. It is blue in color and not at all like the sram butter grease. I'm wondering if this may be contributing to the increased stiction. Oh well, I suppose at some point I will do a lower leg service as the manual suggests.

Posted: Aug 15, 2021 at 7:36 Quote
The first thing to do when you get a new rock shox fork is a lower leg service. They are often coming dry and it usually solves the issues you are describing (on top of proper sag and number of tokens for you).

Posted: Aug 15, 2021 at 12:56 Quote
TibZ wrote:
The first thing to do when you get a new rock shox fork is a lower leg service. They are often coming dry and it usually solves the issues you are describing (on top of proper sag and number of tokens for you).

I would hope the shop that rebuilt it and lengthened the travel would have done this.. Given the issues, I'll probably pull it apart and relube everything with the proper stuff.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005203
Mobile Version of Website