2021-22 Rocky Instinct or Devinci Troy

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2021-22 Rocky Instinct or Devinci Troy
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 9:53 Quote
I thought I would make a new thread because my original thread was way too long and cluttered as I was going through a more lengthy decision process. Thanks to everyone who helped me out there, I really appreciate it. The wealth of knowledge here is truly excellent. I am down to the final two bikes and hoping to get some input on the bikes mentioned in the subject line - Troy or Instinct.

I am 5'9" - 5'10", 170lbs. Riding will be primarily in & around Calgary (Canmore Nordic, Beaumont, WestBragg, COP Bike Park, etc.) I won't be doing any double blacks or 15ft drops but I like to ride hard on the greens, blues, and smooth jump trails. Techy blacks are OK. Basically a lot of climbing and descending. If I go to a big bike park like Whistler, I will rent a proper DH bike.

The Troy has the best spec I think, possibly a stronger frame, and appears to be slightly better value for the money:

https://www.devinci.com/en/bikes/mountain/troy-carb-alu-gx12s-black-edition/

Devinci Troy Carbon/Alu GX12S
Fox36 Performance GRIP 150mm
Fox DPX2 Performance Elite 140mm
Carbon front / Aluminum rear
RaceFace AR35 wheels
Factor Hubs
Full SRAM GX Drivetrain
Code R brakes w/200mm rotors
SDC Tellis dropper post, 34.9mm
65/77.5 HTA/STA (adjustable by half a degree)
Sizing chart puts me in a medium with 465mm reach
33.95lbs
$5699

The Instinct just seems like a really great all-round bike with no real downsides either, but componentry looks to be slightly worse value:

https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/instinct/2021?tid=72

Rocky Mountain Instinct A50
Fox36 Performance GRIP 150mm
Fox DPX2 Performance (non-elite) 140mm
Aluminium frame
WTB ST Light i30 Wheels
House brand front hub, DT Swiss 370 rear hub
XT rear derailleur, SLX/Deore everything else
SLX Brakes with 180mm rotors
RaceFace Affect R Dropper, 30.9mm
65.1/76.1 HTA/STA (adjustable by 1.1 degree)
Sizing chart puts me in a large with 493mm reach
33.7 lbs
$5649

Both bikes look like they will be 2022 models with delivery late 2021 or early 2022.

What would you guys choose? Devinci Troy or Rocky Mountain Instinct in the above specs? Both are brand new designs as of 2021.

Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 12:26 Quote
Two things,
- do you have a preference for Shimano vs SRAM drivetrain/brakes? Aside from frame that's the main difference.
- the Med Troy has a shorter reach than the Large Instinct, so I'd strongly recommend you test ride a Large Troy to confirm sizing.

Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 12:54 Quote
brianl wrote:
Two things,
- do you have a preference for Shimano vs SRAM drivetrain/brakes? Aside from frame that's the main difference.
- the Med Troy has a shorter reach than the Large Instinct, so I'd strongly recommend you test ride a Large Troy to confirm sizing.

Thanks for your reply. I have been out of the game for so long that I don't have enough experience with with the new stuff to have a preference. I currently ride Shimano XT/LX from 2008, which I understand is very different than it is now. I get the impression people prefer Shimano drivetrains and SRAM brakes, kind of a Ford vs Chevy type deal. As long as there are no major operational or reliability downsides to either, I don't think I have a preference. I will be paying someone to do my bike maintenance regardless.

Re: sizing - Unfortunately whatever I buy will be sight unseen. Nobody has any stock anywhere and I'd be ordering a 2022 model. I can sit on it when it arrives, but there won't be a Medium and Large side by side for me to compare for a very long time. I did see an XL Troy in person and it was definitely too big, but that wouldn't have been my size regardless. I rented a 2020 Rocky Thunderbolt last weekend and it felt good in Large, consistent with their sizing guide. According to Devinci's sizing guide, I am on the upper range of a Medium or the low end of a Large. I certainly agree it would be better to try before I buy but I won't have that luxury unfortunately.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005709
Mobile Version of Website