Altitude Chain Stay Damage

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
Altitude Chain Stay Damage
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 6, 2021 at 9:46 Quote
Hey everyone, I have a new alloy Altitude and my son has a new Instinct. I have noticed the right chainstay right behind the front ring is getting absolutely shredded. Like it looks like on both bikes we will be through the metal by the end of the year. Anyone else having this problem? Both bikes are bone stock A30 and A50. I can't tell if the damage is the chain ring hitting or chain slap but it is definitely a problem that is inherent with the bike.

I am just wondering if this will be a warranty issue if all the new bikes this year are having this problem.

Posted: Aug 6, 2021 at 15:40 Quote
Whoa, post a picture of you can!

Posted: Aug 7, 2021 at 9:29 Quote
I have a bit of paint chipped off on my C50. Sounds like the same place, right behind the chainring. I'm going to put a bit of tape there.

Posted: Aug 7, 2021 at 12:06 Quote
I've had the same problem on my 2020 carbon a 70 thunderbolt. Even with the chain guide, my chain dropped on janky downhill stuff, and the chain would get jammed in the tight spot between the chain ring and stay.
Turns out the clutch on the derailleur needed fixing by my lbs; within minutes he had it working again. Also, it appeared that the derailleur b tension screw needed adjusting. The 'fix' only happened yesterday, so I can't tell you wether this will cure it, but in my case it seems obvious what the problem(s) were.

Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 14:15 Quote
One of the guys I usually ride with has been experiencing the same issue in the exact same spot on his Altitude Alloy 30 and he just solved it by purchasing a roll of chainstay armor tape from RideWrap and applying it to the entire right hand chainstay. Hope this helps!

Posted: Feb 10, 2022 at 15:12 Quote
I may be having a similar issue. I have a 2021 instinct a50 and it is shredded in the same place. I took it to 7 shops and the shop where I bought it has it now. The shop contacted Rocky Mountain and they said I can buy a new chain stay from them but there is no talk of fixing it other than adding an aftermarket chain guide that keeps the chain from getting sucked down. I am pretty disappointed in Rocky Mountain's customer service with this issue and am sadly turned off of the company as a whole. Mine happens when I backpedal (which isn't something I do often and I need to do it sometimes on the trail). I have tried rubber as well as tape and the chain just eats through it.

I created a thread about mine

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=234320

Damage from reverse chainsuck
Damage from reverse chainsuck

reverse chainsuck. The tape is there to prevent further damage. This happens when riding on the trail without the tape and without the tube wrapped around the chainstay.
reverse chainsuck

Posted: Mar 8, 2022 at 13:28 Quote
Yep thats the one! Exactly the same as mine and my sons.

Posted: Mar 12, 2022 at 9:21 Quote
Hello i am considering buying a altitude any issues except this?

Posted: Mar 12, 2022 at 12:25 Quote
No such issues on my 2021 carbon Altitude, but I've only used a 30t chainring so far (completes come with 32t)

There are a couple of very small nicks in that area from chainslap/debris but nothing even close to what is pictured here.

Pretty much every frame I've owned gets marked up in that area of the chainstay, usually I just wrap it in electrical tape or something if it looks like it's going to get worse

Posted: Mar 12, 2022 at 15:53 Quote
has anyone tried servicing or replacing the rear hub?

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 7:41 Quote
Hi, I have a 2022 Instinct C70 and have a similar issue. This started at my second trail ride. I was getting chainsuck that seemed to be caused by rear drivetrain resistance when freewheeling or backpedal that causes the chain to drop at the front chain ring and also causing damage. After that ride I brought to a mechanic that I believe found the issue. After doing multiple diagnosis he showed me and explained that the cassette doesn't rotate properly when the thru-axle is properly torqued.

The problem is with the raceface rear hub. Now I'll try to explain in my non technical terms. There's a small part in the hub that maintains the proper distance between bearings. The part/ring is too narrow and bearings are too close and gets worse when wheel is torqued. He says sometimes he sees this in older bikes since the part is aluminum and when wheels get over torqued by the owner the part compresses a bit and causes the exact same issue.

I think (unsure here) for now he reversed that part to gain a few mm and its much better. They are contacting Raceface for warranty and I hope to get news in coming week. I was blessed to find this very knowledgeable mechanic at my first visit.

I'll keep all posted when I have more news. But hopefully gives you a potential solution.

Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 15:16 Quote
How is Rocky Mountain not responsible for this problem? They spec’d the bikes with the parts, so if your mechanic is correct, it is still their fault. Didn’t they just get a new CEO? She should be paying attention. I went from YT to RM this year, but given just an offer to purchase a new rear triangle is disgraceful customer service, especially with their pricing. YT did everything to help me each time I contacted them.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007323
Mobile Version of Website