I enjoy the 130lr more than the 150... but why? Isn't more always better?

PB Forum :: Yeti
I enjoy the 130lr more than the 150... but why? Isn't more always better?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 12:06 Quote
Hello,

I have been riding a 130lr for the better part of the past 8 months. Love my bike, no complaints. However, after a recent enduro race, I found myself wanting more. I felt like I was pushing my suspension to the limits on some larger terrain.

So, I rented a 150 this past weekend and I thought that more would automatically equate to better, but, I didn't like it as much. Climbing wasn't so bad. But I felt like I was on a "big" bike on the descents. It's hard to describe exactly, but I felt like I was waiting for my rear wheel to catch up.

I live in the PNW and so our descents tend to be a little twisty through trees and roots, etc. Rider weight is 180lb. Anyone have any thoughts on why the 150 wouldn't feel as good as the 130lr? Having difficult putting it into words.

Thank you.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 21:55 Quote
I am in the same situation. I have a Sb 130 LR with a Fox x2 coil and am tempted to get a 150 as my next bike. I ride a lot of rough stuff in Auburn/Tahoe/Downieville. I thought the 150 would be too much, but maybe the 130 is enough?

Thoughts?

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 10:20 Quote
The 150 is a “big” bike. From what I’ve ridden, and even what Richie Rude has said: size down on the 150. It will be much more manageable then. Also the geo on the 150 is meant for racing downhill pretty straight and not twisty, turny stuff. The chain stays are the same length and the wheelbase is 1.5cm longer on the 150. However, it’s that extra travel out back that keeps the wheel planted on the ground, making the 150 “feel” longer.

I had the 130lr for a couple years as my only bike. It truly rode every trail well, from bike parks, to Tahoe, Moab, Colorado, and my current trails in Salt Lake. If you only have one bike, that’d be the bike to have. The 150 is much more planted and is harder to move around. If you only want to plow, and plow a straight line, or ride mostly in bike parks, then get the 150. In this case, less is definitely more. The trade off of sluggish handling in tight terrain for “more” plowability is not worth it imho. The 130lr has enough of that for most riders to never need more than can be thrown at it.

I ended up selling my 130lr because the boss gave me permission to have another bike…since the 130lr is smack in the middle of the yeti quiver, I split it up and went 115 for the daily driver and 165 for bike park days or gnarlier trails like Moab. I don’t regret it as I have found I love to play and pop more than just plow through stuff (although the 165 does that in spades still).

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005427
Mobile Version of Website