Brakes

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Aug 20, 2021 at 14:30 Quote
Hello fellow Pinkbikers

Currently I’m the happy owner of a new YT Capra. I love the bike bike, as long as I don’t have to brake.
The bike came with SRAM Code R’s. I don’t know if it’s my inability to get them to work; but I can’t get them alligned decent, can’t bleed them to get the feeling I want, the pistons are stuck after 2 rides. I really hate them at the moment.

So the question rises, what brakes should I get to replace them?
I’m looking at Magura MT5/7, but what’s the difference between those two except the price?
Maybe Hope’s? I’ve had Hope T3 V4 before and they worked like a charm.
I don’t think I want anymore SRAM brakes at the moment. I’ve had 3 pairs over the years and all had their issues that kept me off the bike.

My current weight is 110kg fully loaded, if that might be relevant.

Any advice for me?

Posted: Aug 20, 2021 at 22:57 Quote
Shimano 4pot or magura 4pot. Hopes are underpowered and your 110kgs won't like them. Another legit option is shigura.

FL
Posted: Aug 21, 2021 at 0:06 Quote
100kg here…
V4s are fine
Never ridden shigura but it seems to be what everyone on PB is obsessed with at the moment. It seems silly to buy 2 sets of brakes to cobble something together.
Get the Hayes Dominions. They are the best brake you can buy at the moment.

Posted: Aug 21, 2021 at 0:53 Quote
Fairly happy with my MT5s. Only difference with MT7 is leverage ratio so they have a shorter throw at the lever as well as the actual lever itself. Otherwise basically identical. Tons of power. Some people struggle to bleed them and they're certainly more difficult than others to get all of the air out of the system, but totally possible to do. If you're not great with tools I'd stay away from them.

For my next set I think I'd like to try the Hayes dominion A4. Means using DOT fluid but if they're good enough for Remy they're probably good enough for me too lol

Not sure if either are available ATM

Posted: Aug 21, 2021 at 1:39 Quote
TRP DHR Evos, or Trail Evos.

They’ve been getting amazing reviews everywhere lately.

The other ones that are getting good press everywhere at the moment is the Hayes dominions.

I have actually yet to see a bad, or even lukewarm review of either of those.

Posted: Aug 21, 2021 at 3:45 Quote
Everyone is going to tell you their brakes are best!

Your Srams should perform ok so there are issues there which may be solved with a clean, bleed and align. You should be able to get them to work ok. That said I have had to deal with quite a few other issues with guides and codes ( binding when hot, leaking and problematic bleeding) and the clamp is inherently fragile so I can understand the desire to replace them.

I’ve got 4 pairs of shimanos on my bikes and I’m not really a fan of them, they are ok but the wandering bite point and their seemin* to need more frequent bleeds than my other brakes means they are not my first choice. The newest is an SLX 4 pot I bought at Christmas to try and it’s a bit “meh”.

I’ve got a set of formula Cura 4s which have been brilliant over 2 years. Totally trouble free and very powerful BUT I always go back to hopes. I’ve had around 8 sets now, fit them to all my customers bikes that need a brake replacement and have never had any issues. They are plenty powerful enough when correctly set up, totally bombproof and have really good spares availability.

I do have a set of maguras on an e bike and they are ok but I’ve not been that impressed with the MT5 and 7s I’ve encountered on customers bikes due to the plasticy build quality. Power has been good though but spares availability Wasn’t as good as hope when I needed to repair a customers set.

Can’t comment on TRP, I’ve never used them.

Rotors and pads have a big impact on performance so bear that in mind and never go near your bike with an aerosol of any description. Most brake performance issues I’ve had to deal with have been contamination from sprays or an oily cleaning brush.

You pays your money, you takes your choice!

Posted: Aug 21, 2021 at 4:36 Quote
Because most brakes nowadays are decent, yea you get reliability problems with any product sometimes, you may get noise, but most 4 pots on the market are enough to stop you and lock the back wheel with a manageable amount of modulation. But some are quite a lot more powerful than others, some feel better for individuals ergonomically, some are prone to issues more than others.

So far for me and many others Shiguras are the best I have tried, having tried, Shimano, Hope and Sram. They have the most power by a big margin, good initial bite, decent modulation, nice ergonomics of Shimano and so far have been trouble free.

Moat people will say their brakes are the best if they are happy with them and they are the best they have so far tried...

Who knows I may try some Trickstuff and think they are better than Shigura, but I've never tried them, so, so far imo Shigura are the best.

Posted: Aug 21, 2021 at 4:37 Quote
I got so used to wandering bite point that I don't even notice it..

Posted: Aug 21, 2021 at 12:35 Quote
My Code RSC’s were purchased after market and while they do work well enough they were pretty finicky and I had to warranty both pairs due to sticky MC. I did find the optimal setup was for sure either Trickstuff pads or Galfer (green) pads paired with Magura’s Storm HC rotors. That combo I feel like gave the best performance those Codes could provide. I’ve since spent the money towards Shigura and my oh my they have been flawless. Ridiculously easy bleed procedure (coming from sram), incredible power and so far have been 100% reliable. Say what you want about this being a waste of money, I can blast into corners faster than ever knowing I have complete faith that I can brake at the last second to be able to enter a corner with enough control. Super pleased and will run this brake on every bike i plan to get wild on the downs with

Posted: Aug 21, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
MT5 with HC1 levers and Storm rotors is the best combo withouy breakimh the bank. Mt7 has plastic levers Frown

Posted: Aug 23, 2021 at 19:12 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Because most brakes nowadays are decent, yea you get reliability problems with any product sometimes, you may get noise, but most 4 pots on the market are enough to stop you and lock the back wheel with a manageable amount of modulation. But some are quite a lot more powerful than others, some feel better for individuals ergonomically, some are prone to issues more than others.

So far for me and many others Shiguras are the best I have tried, having tried, Shimano, Hope and Sram. They have the most power by a big margin, good initial bite, decent modulation, nice ergonomics of Shimano and so far have been trouble free.

Moat people will say their brakes are the best if they are happy with them and they are the best they have so far tried...

Who knows I may try some Trickstuff and think they are better than Shigura, but I've never tried them, so, so far imo Shigura are the best.

I feel the same way. I’ve had Guide RE’s, Code R’s and didn’t like them at all. Then I tried the newest 4-piston XTR’s and they were great, but as I got faster and faster I found they didn’t have the stopping power I was looking for.
They I recently picked up some Magura MT5 Thirty’s and used the calipers to do a Shigura setup and I’m so bloody impressed. I’m almost speechless at the difference. I hate the Magura levers and loved the feel of the Shimano one finger lever.

I did place an order for some Trickstuff Maxima’s this past February but I won’t get those till May 2022. But my current setup will definitely hold me over till then.

Once Shimano has some stock on XT levers again I’ll order some to use with my Magura calipers and that way I can keep my XTR stuff as a complete set of brakes.

Posted: Aug 23, 2021 at 23:15 Quote
jbrown-15 wrote:

I did place an order for some Trickstuff Maxima’s this past February but I won’t get those till May 2022.

Don’t hold your breath. Ordered some in March 2020, been delayed twice now, be lucky if I get them this year.

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 0:25 Quote
Shimano= glorified road bike brakes. Code= small motocross brakes. Just keep frtzin with them till they are dialed. Cant speak to boutique brands.

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 1:25 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:
jbrown-15 wrote:

I did place an order for some Trickstuff Maxima’s this past February but I won’t get those till May 2022.

Don’t hold your breath. Ordered some in March 2020, been delayed twice now, be lucky if I get them this year.

I'm not in a rush now anyways after getting my Shigura setup going....lol
But they'll be a pleasant surprise when they finally do ship out.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008792
Mobile Version of Website