2021 RIP 9 RDO Creaking

PB Forum :: Niner Bikes
2021 RIP 9 RDO Creaking
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 22, 2021 at 10:27 Quote
Lot's to like about this bike except the creaking that's driving me insane! Here are the details:

It occurs only when the pedals are under load. For example, steep hill in high gear or when pushing on pedal to wheelie/manual. It doesn't occur when cycling through the suspension.

I've removed, cleaned, greased and re-installed cranks/BB, rear cassette, rear derailleur, derailleur hanger, and thru axle-- all numerous times and nothing seems to make it go away. In fact, it only seems to have gotten worse. I can't find any cracks and the frame is essentially brand new and been doing this since my first real ride. Any ideas or similar experience? I'm convinced it's from the rear triangle/drivetrain area. I suppose I can replace the DUB BB, but I'm pretty sure that's not gonna do it. Oh and I know it's not the pedals or seat post. Drive train is GX Eagle if that helps. DT swiss wheels and hubs.

Thanks for any advice.

Eric

O+
Posted: Aug 25, 2021 at 5:22 Quote
Replace the bottom bracket. Speaking from years of experience as a Clyde here...

Posted: Sep 7, 2021 at 9:13 Quote
tfdhusker wrote:
Replace the bottom bracket. Speaking from years of experience as a Clyde here...

Thanks. Swapped out BB just to check it off the list. I'm leaning towards creaky pivot bolt or bad pivot bearing (hard to believe on such a new bike).

O+
Posted: Sep 9, 2021 at 8:06 Quote
I also had some creaking and it ended up being that my cassette wasn't on tight enough.

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 17:20 Quote
Same bike and started having creaking this year (second season on the bike, although the first was short since I got the bike mid-season). Took out the cranks, bottom bracket, and disassembled the linkage. The lower linkage bearings were toast.. they must not have enjoyed the MucOff bike cleaning every so often. Had all the linkage bearings serviced and the creak was gone for one ride… then right back.

I think I’ll l replace the bottom bracket next, and then keep going. Some other easier things to check: headset and seat collar/seat tube. Might be worth pulling out the dropper, cleaning, and reinstalling.

Unrelated, but when I first got the bike a loose rear through axel was causing quite the annoying creak. Maybe check that out too.

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 12:13 Quote
liner33 wrote:
Lot's to like about this bike except the creaking that's driving me insane! Here are the details:

It occurs only when the pedals are under load. For example, steep hill in high gear or when pushing on pedal to wheelie/manual. It doesn't occur when cycling through the suspension.

I've removed, cleaned, greased and re-installed cranks/BB, rear cassette, rear derailleur, derailleur hanger, and thru axle-- all numerous times and nothing seems to make it go away. In fact, it only seems to have gotten worse. I can't find any cracks and the frame is essentially brand new and been doing this since my first real ride. Any ideas or similar experience? I'm convinced it's from the rear triangle/drivetrain area. I suppose I can replace the DUB BB, but I'm pretty sure that's not gonna do it. Oh and I know it's not the pedals or seat post. Drive train is GX Eagle if that helps. DT swiss wheels and hubs.

Thanks for any advice.

Eric

My terrible creak like this on my 2020 RIP turned out to be the frame cracked around the bb shell. Niner warrantied it easily.

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 13:04 Quote
foppe wrote:

My terrible creak like this on my 2020 RIP turned out to be the frame cracked around the bb shell. Niner warrantied it easily.

@foppe-- was the crack obvious? easy to detect?

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 13:46 Quote
liner33 wrote:
foppe wrote:

Far from obvious. I found a picture from someone else's RIP 9 BB crack on Pinkbike and compared it with my BB and it was in the same exact spot, just harder to see cause it was under the paint.

photo
photo

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 13:46 Quote
foppe wrote:
liner33 wrote:
foppe wrote:

Far from obvious. I found a picture from someone else's RIP 9 BB crack on Pinkbike and compared it with my BB and it was in the same exact spot, just harder to see cause it was under the paint.

photo
photo

photo
photo

Posted: Jan 9, 2022 at 13:02 Quote
>>Far from obvious. I found a picture from someone else's RIP 9 BB crack on Pinkbike and compared it with my BB and it was in the same exact spot, just harder to see cause it was under the paint.

Thanks for the response and the pics. That was definitely pretty subtle. One more question- was there any moment during a ride where you knew you did some damage or just general riding and the creak/popping sound that lead to your investigating the source?

Posted: Jan 10, 2022 at 5:15 Quote
liner33 wrote:
>>Far from obvious. I found a picture from someone else's RIP 9 BB crack on Pinkbike and compared it with my BB and it was in the same exact spot, just harder to see cause it was under the paint.

Thanks for the response and the pics. That was definitely pretty subtle. One more question- was there any moment during a ride where you knew you did some damage or just general riding and the creak/popping sound that lead to your investigating the source?

The creaking was just so bad, I knew something was off. It's not like any other creaking I've had in the past, and it's distinctly from the BB area. It never goes away.

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 7:40 Quote
foppe wrote:
liner33 wrote:

The creaking was just so bad, I knew something was off. It's not like any other creaking I've had in the past, and it's distinctly from the BB area. It never goes away.

Hey Foppe, just responded on another thread, but servicing pivot bolts solved it for me-- all removed and re-greased. Most were shockingly dry (no pun intended). I can't believe I waited this long to get this done, but there it is...problem solved and bike is as quiet as ever...for now!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012924
Mobile Version of Website