AC Separation

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 22, 2021 at 23:55 Quote
Experienced a level 3 AC separation a few months back (on 3/27/21). Kept it in a sling for a few weeks and then began recommended movement followed by regular activities. I am back to normal strength and speed in my enduro mtb/moto riding however I have a huge deformity on my shoulder. Has anyone else experienced a lasting deformity where the clavicle never really settles back down on to the scapula?

Posted: Aug 23, 2021 at 12:52 Quote
Ouch sorry man! yeah the deformity you are describing is result of an ac joint separation.Grade 3 is usually diagnosed as a tear of the ligaments connecting the scapula and clavicle. Bad news, your shoulder is going to always look that way. Good new, full recovery is pretty fast. Make sure you do specific exercises to rebuild the muscle around the shoulder. You're going to need the muscles to do the job that your ligaments used to do.

Posted: Aug 23, 2021 at 13:37 Quote
Thanks for the info! Any specific exercises you have in mind that would be most beneficial?

O+
Posted: Apr 24, 2022 at 12:21 Quote
Yep, I had a grade 3+ separation in 2017. Two doctors told me there was nothing that could really be done using surgery, and that physical therapy was the only route. It was very helpful in recovering, but later a shoulder surgeon told me that if he's seen me within 1-2 weeks of the injury, he could likely have repaired it arthroscopically. I've had that "bump" since then.

I had been back to riding like normal, and even had improved my endurance and speed somewhat. Now 5 years later, despite my best efforts at continuing to do PT at home, that shoulder is noticeably atrophied and now is so unstable and growing painful again that I'm likely headed for surgery anyway.

The shoulder joint is one of, if not the most unstable joints in the body, and mine are especially unstable/flexible. Keep up with your PT! Keep them stable! Hopefully you can continue riding for many many years!

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2022 at 8:50 Quote
Grade 3 can go either way, I wish I would've gotten surgery on mine. If I don't work out for a while I can start to get shoulder pain, basically other muscles in the area have to make up for the loss of stability in the joint.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021374
Mobile Version of Website