Trek remedy = FREERIDE?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Trek remedy = FREERIDE?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 26, 2021 at 14:19 Quote
Hello. Am looking to buy a new freeride mtb, and have researched thuroughly. I want a 27.5 bike that is nice and poppy, a good climber, but still good smashing through teck, while still decently cheap. I narrowed it down to the trek remedy 8 and the Santa Cruz nomad r build. I am leaning toward the remedy because of price, but am not sure if a) it's a good freeride bike or more of a trail bike, and b) if the nomad will just serve me better.

Thanks all!

Posted: Aug 27, 2021 at 9:09 Quote
Demonshreder7 wrote:
Hello. Am looking to buy a new freeride mtb, and have researched thuroughly. I want a 27.5 bike that is nice and poppy, a good climber, but still good smashing through teck, while still decently cheap. I narrowed it down to the trek remedy 8 and the Santa Cruz nomad r build. I am leaning toward the remedy because of price, but am not sure if a) it's a good freeride bike or more of a trail bike, and b) if the nomad will just serve me better.

Thanks all!

I own the Remedy, but have ridden the Nomad a couple times, and the Bronson many times. You'll probably appreciate the Bronson more than the Nomad if you're looking for poppy. The Nomad felt more like a 27.5 race bike than a fun and playful all-around freeride bike.

Between SC and Trek, the best value is easily the Remedy. You definitely pay a Santa Cruz premium on all of their bikes.

In terms of ride quality, I had a really hard time choosing between the Remedy and Bronson. I had the same requirements as you. Bronson hugs the ground a little better in tech, Remedy is a little more poppy (often described as a "big bmx bike"), both are good climbers. The Nomad was, comparatively, planted to the ground. I ultimately decided on the Remedy due to the better value. The Bronson is a sick bike, though.

I ride fairly gnarly stuff in Santa Cruz, CA and both bikes work really well. These are mostly steep, soft, and loamy trails. But, outside of braking bumps, there isn't much chunky/rocky stuff. When I do ride rocky trails, I'd lean toward a 29er.

You can't go wrong with either. I chose the Remedy because of the value, but I would be equally happy on the Bronson. If you're leaning toward the Nomad over the Bronson, however, you might want to consider many other bikes that I think perform the task better -- playful 29ers and mullet bikes.

Posted: Aug 29, 2021 at 13:38 Quote
Yessss, absolutely, ive rode mine on freeride lines around the uk for a while and its great!

Posted: Aug 29, 2021 at 15:25 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
Demonshreder7 wrote:

Thanks all!

I own the Remedy, but have ridden the Nomad a couple times, and the Bronson many times. You'll probably appreciate the Bronson more than the Nomad if you're looking for poppy. The Nomad felt more like a 27.5 race bike than a fun and playful all-around freeride bike.

Between SC and Trek, the best value is easily the Remedy. You definitely pay a Santa Cruz premium on all of their bikes.

In terms of ride quality, I had a really hard time choosing between the Remedy and Bronson. I had the same requirements as you. Bronson hugs the ground a little better in tech, Remedy is a little more poppy (often described as a "big bmx bike"), both are good climbers. The Nomad was, comparatively, planted to the ground. I ultimately decided on the Remedy due to the better value. The Bronson is a sick bike, though.

I ride fairly gnarly stuff in Santa Cruz, CA and both bikes work really well. These are mostly steep, soft, and loamy trails. But, outside of braking bumps, there isn't much chunky/rocky stuff. When I do ride rocky trails, I'd lean toward a 29er.

You can't go wrong with either. I chose the Remedy because of the value, but I would be equally happy on the Bronson. If you're leaning toward the Nomad over the Bronson, however, you might want to consider many other bikes that I think perform the task better -- playful 29ers and mullet bikes.

Thanks a lot for the advice, just have a few comments/questions. 1. When riding the remedy, were there any harsh bottom outs? 2. Since I have ridden the remedy, and was not sure if it was enough travel, does the nomad do dirt jumps well?

Posted: Aug 29, 2021 at 23:07 Quote
Demonshreder7 wrote:
iliveonnitro wrote:
Demonshreder7 wrote:

Thanks all!

Thanks a lot for the advice, just have a few comments/questions. 1. When riding the remedy, were there any harsh bottom outs? 2. Since I have ridden the remedy, and was not sure if it was enough travel, does the nomad do dirt jumps well?

I own a remedy and have been riding it for a year. I have absolutely loved the bike. I ride tons of freeride stuff and it holds up well, besides a few bent rims. The bike rarely bottoms out even when I do big road gaps and large drops. The lyric on it just feels like butter. I have never ridden a Nomad so I couldn't answer your second question, but I can tell you the remedy has plenty of suspension. Even on bike park days, it holds up well on double black tech., but to be honest I do wish for a downhill bike going down those trails. But I only go a few times a year so it works out! The remedy is a super fun bike with plenty of travel and I would definitly recommend getting it.

Posted: Sep 5, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
Demonshreder7 wrote:
iliveonnitro wrote:
Demonshreder7 wrote:

Thanks all!

1. I never quite understood the harsh bottom discussion. For every bike I've owned, demo'd, rented, or borrowed, I've been able to bottom it out on sufficient terrain. After that, all bikes become rigid. Being more/less progressive just changes the terrain the bike is better at managing. If you have a harsh bottom-out on any bike, you can change your suspension to fix it.

2. Sorry, not sure on the Nomad's ability to dirt jump as I don't usually demo/rent bikes and dirt jump them.

You can buy a 230x60mm rear shock (from the stock 230x57.5) to increase the travel from 150mm to 157mm without changing the bike's geometry. Anyone who goes coil/replaces the stock shock on the Remedy will do that exact thing.

FL
Posted: Sep 7, 2021 at 13:38 Quote
I ride a trek remedy 8 2021. Except for the wheels it's an awesome freeride bike. I ride dirtjumps most of the time and from all the enduro bikes I've ridden there, the remedy felt the most playful. The (kind of) short reach and wheelbase make it less stable but more fun in the air.
About the wheels: both, mine and the wheel of my friend broke in under 6 months. The bearings of the hub are completely destroyed and I guess they make their rims out of butter. They are sooo instable. But: a simple wheel upgrade will make the bike work like a dream. I got my hope Fortus 35 wheels a few days ago and really Love them

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 13:17 Quote
Hey all. One more question on the bikes. I eliminated the nomad for price, but am now looking at the trek slash and remedy, and having an extremely tough time deciding. What is the opinion?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009884
Mobile Version of Website