Enduro wheelset

• Next Page
O+
Posted: Aug 28, 2021 at 21:57 Quote
getting back on topic to help the OP make their decision. Im a believer that if a hub is running good and has good maintenance than you dont need to spend the money to upgrade them...so to save money probably re-use your old hubs and have a shop lace them to new rims will save a ton of money than just buying a new wheelset. thankfully blank rims are pretty plentiful on the market still. below are some comparisons for ya. i dont know what size wheel you have so i just went with 27.5

Spank 359 (non-vibrocore) $100, 505g
DT Swiss EX 511 $144, 535g
Raceface ARC 30, $100, 514g

hope this helps!

Posted: Aug 28, 2021 at 21:58 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:

Basically the ex511 is the wider 471
No lol, they are a different base profile design, cut each in half and youll see.

And yes engle, i know the 471 is popular in the DH world, we used them for a long time on ours. its more popular because its basically the strongest 25mm alloy.

What's the difference?

Posted: Aug 28, 2021 at 22:15 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:

No lol, they are a different base profile design, cut each in half and youll see.

And yes engle, i know the 471 is popular in the DH world, we used them for a long time on ours. its more popular because its basically the strongest 25mm alloy.

What's the difference?

Madder

Back on track through, 350/359/ex511 or if you want 25mm then always 471.
theres the e1700-1900 series that are pretty good aswell an quite often specced on ebikes

O+
Posted: Aug 28, 2021 at 22:24 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:

photo
photo
Uhhhh like this...
According to DT
The are more similar than not.

Posted: Aug 28, 2021 at 22:32 Quote
someone doesnt understand wheel construction. this is like saying "its looks like a session" but it isn't. - there is considerable volume difference inside each wheel with no material added to support it, its like your saying that im saying the 511 is weak, which its not, theres just a reason than even the 30mm dh guys dont often use 511.

the arguement should be about why is so many on 25mm when 30mm "provides more grip" bet youve got the wrong answer for that too.

Posted: Aug 29, 2021 at 2:01 Quote
So it's the same profile but wider.

Posted: Aug 29, 2021 at 2:22 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
The above images would show they are not the same profile, the 471/25mm is more upright and the groove is much more stout - the design idea was the same and they altered the profile to suit 30mm but added no strength to cope with the extra volume.

Posted: Aug 29, 2021 at 7:50 Quote
So for a newbie 25mm is stronger. And works fine on a 2.4 or 2.5" tire

Posted: Aug 29, 2021 at 8:11 Quote
I have owned DT EX511s laced to Onyx Classic J bend and now own Stans Bravo 26mm internal carbon rims laced to Carbon Ti straight pull hubs.

DT wheelset was warped and out of true within a few months of hard square edge hits. Current wheelset perfectly true after a years use. EX 511 or any alloy rims are not that durable and become out of true and deformed after a short while. Carbon rims stay true, offer a more precise ride, but unfortunately also provide more trail buzz and feedback.

If I was going to go alloy I would get Spank Vibrocore simply for the comfort benefits as in my opinion all alloy rims becomes out of true and warped over time but at least you can reap the comfort benefits and hopefully the Vibrocore keeps things more sturdy for longer term durability.

As for Onyx hubs I'm not going to get into my issues with those. I will say with my current wheelset I have knocked off 0.5kg on the rear wheel alone....

Posted: Aug 29, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
The above images would show they are not the same profile, the 471/25mm is more upright and the groove is much more stout - the design idea was the same and they altered the profile to suit 30mm but added no strength to cope with the extra volume.

I see they have the same depth, and thickness all around and 511 has some sort ridges near the spoke holes, so the same but wider and a bit heavier. If you have a cut away from both will help though.

Wider vs narrow rims, I heard some pros prefer more direct and precise feedback of narrow profile tires/rim combos than the comfort of bigger volume tires used with wider rims, if it was about getting a stronger wheel at 30mm they could opt for the fr560, some do, but everyone chooses what thinks will get him faster down the hill.

I own ex511 and fr560 fr's are indeed more stout and the weight difference between them at 30mm width is an indication. 471 are just the narrower edition of 511,

Posted: Aug 29, 2021 at 10:06 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
I have owned DT EX511s laced to Onyx Classic J bend and now own Stans Bravo 26mm internal carbon rims laced to Carbon Ti straight pull hubs.

DT wheelset was warped and out of true within a few months of hard square edge hits. Current wheelset perfectly true after a years use. EX 511 or any alloy rims are not that durable and become out of true and deformed after a short while. Carbon rims stay true, offer a more precise ride, but unfortunately also provide more trail buzz and feedback.

If I was going to go alloy I would get Spank Vibrocore simply for the comfort benefits as in my opinion all alloy rims becomes out of true and warped over time but at least you can reap the comfort benefits and hopefully the Vibrocore keeps things more sturdy for longer term durability.

As for Onyx hubs I'm not going to get into my issues with those. I will say with my current wheelset I have knocked off 0.5kg on the rear wheel alone....

I doubt vibrocore offers any comfort over non foam filled rims, I don't see how rim "vibrations" is a thing and not a gimmick marketing bs. if that was the case, they would fill every carbon hoop with foam and call it good.

Posted: Sep 8, 2021 at 21:45 Quote
Is it worth upgrading the front wheel as well, to match and improve ride quality if your already upgrading the rear? I am in the same predicament as well, looking for a new enduro rear wheel.

Despite the back and forth differences, all these rims mentions are good, high quality.

O+
Posted: Sep 9, 2021 at 9:26 Quote
Well I might add a new update. Took a rough crash yesterday and side loaded the front rim a bunch. My bars were 90deg from normal and I keep my stem pretty tight. I was unable to straighten the bars without loosing the stem (shows how much side force the rim took) but through all that my Spank 359’s are dead straight and no flat spots. I honestly was suspecting a pretty good wobble after the crash, but good they were perfect. Very very impressed

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011902
Mobile Version of Website