Hightower 2021 with the new Float X

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Hightower 2021 with the new Float X
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 30, 2021 at 2:52 Quote
Hey,

I've been searching the net but can't find anyone that runs the new Fox Float X on their Hightower. Since the bike has some shock limitations I was wondering did aynone try the new shock on the Hightower and does it fit with no issues?

Thanks

O+
Posted: Aug 30, 2021 at 14:15 Quote
Yes, the 2022 Float X fits, I have a 210mm x 55mm. I personally like it better than the RS Super Deluxe that was on it. I installed mine with the Fox roller bearing kit as well.

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 at 4:25 Quote
REZEN wrote:
Yes, the 2022 Float X fits, I have a 210mm x 55mm. I personally like it better than the RS Super Deluxe that was on it. I installed mine with the Fox roller bearing kit as well.

Hey thanks for the info, would you mind sharing the exact bearing kit you used? I will probably do the same on mine, just ordered the Float X.

O+
Posted: Aug 31, 2021 at 20:58 Quote
It's the only roller bearing kit that Fox sells. Even as someone brand new to biking, a little googling goes a long way:
Fox Roller Bearing Kit 8mmx30mm: part# 812-06-096-KIT

or RWC needle bearing kit, easier
https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/shock-eyelet-bearing-kits/6mm-8mm-thru-bolts/NEEDLE-BEARING-30.html

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 at 23:23 Quote
REZEN wrote:
It's the only roller bearing kit that Fox sells. Even as someone brand new to biking, a little googling goes a long way:

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/shock-eyelet-bearing-kits/6mm-8mm-thru-bolts/NEEDLE-BEARING-30.html

Thanks for your answer and the comment

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 5:55 Quote
Their website:

bigquotesI want to change my rear shock. Any limitations?

The Hightower fits most shocks on the market, with some exceptions. Fox Float X2, Cane Creek DB Air, and all coil shocks are not compatible. We recommend the Rockshox Super Deluxe, Deluxe, Fox DPX2, Fox Float DPS.

I'm wondering if this is a size limitation to the smaller frames shock tunnel, so SC just posted a blanket comment for warranty purposes?

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 17:38 Quote
Did you guys rake your forks to 160mm? Also is the float x that much better I’m interested in making the swap. Would do it if it’s worth it.

Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 19:43 Quote
REZEN wrote:

Does the Fox bearing kit fit at both positions holding the 2022 Float X?
Only document I found didn't mention the Float X

And also after more time how do you like the Float X on the Hightower?
I just got a 2021 frame and already have Float X and Cascade LT link on order so I can't wait for spring!

Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 19:46 Quote
Ryancoy1985 wrote:
Did you guys rake your forks to 160mm? Also is the float x that much better I’m interested in making the swap. Would do it if it’s worth it.

I got a 160mm fork since it seems pretty widely recommended, especially with the Cascade link.
Did you end up going 160? how do you like it?

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2022 at 10:25 Quote
Visor wrote:
Ryancoy1985 wrote:

I got a 160mm fork since it seems pretty widely recommended, especially with the Cascade link.
Did you end up going 160? how do you like it?

I added a Cascade Link to my Nomad. It raised the BB and steepened the HTA. These weren't actually bad things since its fairly rocky where I live, but I did end up installing some offset bushings to bring it back to stock HTA. Just something to be aware of.

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 17:56 Quote
I brought my Hightower back to stock except I am keeping the float x on that I put on since it is nicer than the rockshox select I had. I was tweaking on my bike so much and chasing perfection, constantly correcting changes I had made. Bike is riding great still tuning the float x I have never had a shock with low speed compression I would honestly say it’s not much better than the rockshox. I had the cascade link and was bottoming out overywhere even off the lip of some jumps at times and the raked out fork made my front end wander when climbing. The bike isn’t blowing my mind but I’m gonna give it more of a chance with it’s stock geometry since the engineers know more then me.

FL
Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 18:08 Quote
Ryancoy1985 wrote:
I brought my Hightower back to stock except I am keeping the float x on that I put on since it is nicer than the rockshox select I had. I was tweaking on my bike so much and chasing perfection, constantly correcting changes I had made. Bike is riding great still tuning the float x I have never had a shock with low speed compression I would honestly say it’s not much better than the rockshox. I had the cascade link and was bottoming out overywhere even off the lip of some jumps at times and the raked out fork made my front end wander when climbing. The bike isn’t blowing my mind but I’m gonna give it more of a chance with it’s stock geometry since the engineers know more then me.

That's strange that you were bottoming so easily after putting the Cascade link on. How much did you raise the air pressure after installing it?

Based on the leverage curve, it should be much harder to bottom the HT with a cascade link than without if sag is set the same.

photo

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2022 at 2:29 Quote
Progressive (Cascade) links, larger volume shocks and compression adjustments all go out the window if you dont set your sag properly. Sounds like a case of under inflating the rear shock for rider weight. No doubt that will make you wallow in travel, slack out the HTA causing a wandering front end.

FL
Posted: Jan 29, 2022 at 13:04 Quote
My thoughts exactly.

I'm on my 3rd C Link on 3 different bikes and they have all functioned as claimed.

Posted: Feb 19, 2022 at 14:26 Quote
Will be trying out the Float X with my 22 Hightower in about a week when all the parts I had to order come in.

Had to get aftermarket bushings and bearing to make it work. Part of what I am waiting on. Proper size Fox bushings on backorder.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011731
Mobile Version of Website