Tubless Tires for DH? What are your thoughts?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Tubless Tires for DH? What are your thoughts?
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 22:02 Quote
lol
levigardiner wrote:
for tubless tires i have the best setup...cut the stem off the tubless tire and then put a tube in it...double the protection

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 22:02 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
levigardiner wrote:
for tubless tires i have the best setup...cut the stem off the tubless tire and then put a tube in it...double the protection

Confused

its possible...try it, you'll like it

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 22:08 Quote
levigardiner wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:
levigardiner wrote:

Confused

There's no valve on a tubeless tire dude.

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 22:10 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
levigardiner wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:

Confused

There's no valve on a tubeless tire dude.

and how do you get air into it?

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 22:12 Quote
levigardiner wrote:

The valve is on the rim. The tire is pretty much just a normal tire.

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 22:13 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
levigardiner wrote:

i know im just f*ckin with yaMoon

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 22:13 Quote
levigardiner wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:
levigardiner wrote:

i know im just f*ckin with yaMoon

SureeeeeRolleyes

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 23:40 Quote
schwimble wrote:
i dont run tubless and heres why.

the main reason is because at a race weekend i might change up to six or 8 tyres, with a DH bike thats a pain in the ass anyway, but with tubless it becomes a nightmare. without a compressor seating a tubless tyre is really difficult, and there is no way i can bring a compressor to a DH race.

tyres are more expensive and if you put a rip in them theyre shot.

rims are more expensive too, i know this is a very minor detail, after all how mainy rims do i go through in a year, 2? maybe 3?

anyway i rarely get any flats so i dont see much of an advantage for me anyway, yea yea i know theyre lighter, but not much, my tubes only weigh 105 grams. the only light weight parts on my bike....

acutally, they make mini pumps that are charged with a small co2 pack which woulf ill the tire well and quickly

Posted: Mar 9, 2011 at 14:00 Quote
any experience with the schwalbe space? or continental rubber queen?
at the time there are some discounts on these tires, so that's the time maybe Big Grin

that's for a rear tyre all conditions, i need something which rolls quite fast, good grip and also a solid casing and sidewall as I plan to mount them tubeless with sealant
thanks !

Posted: Mar 10, 2011 at 9:44 Quote
bollocks you can seat tubeless tires easily with a good track pump !
schwimble wrote:
i dont run tubless and heres why.

the main reason is because at a race weekend i might change up to six or 8 tyres, with a DH bike thats a pain in the ass anyway, but with tubless it becomes a nightmare. without a compressor seating a tubless tyre is really difficult, and there is no way i can bring a compressor to a DH race.

tyres are more expensive and if you put a rip in them theyre shot.

rims are more expensive too, i know this is a very minor detail, after all how mainy rims do i go through in a year, 2? maybe 3?

anyway i rarely get any flats so i dont see much of an advantage for me anyway, yea yea i know theyre lighter, but not much, my tubes only weigh 105 grams. the only light weight parts on my bike....

Posted: Mar 10, 2011 at 15:12 Quote
I seated my Stans tubeless 729/non-UST Minions with a regular floor pump. wasn't difficult at all, to my surprise. my Mag30s took a bit more work.
have been running them for 2 years, not a single flat in the time period. and I run low pressures (2.7 front, 2.5 rear, usually 18-25psi depending on the hill and conditions).
will never go back to tube setups on any of my DH bikes. if you're changing tires alot, go UST instead of Stans/ghetto and invest in a good 12V air compressor to seat the tires. my $0.02.

Posted: Mar 12, 2011 at 14:54 Quote
Tubeless waste of time its not for saving weight its not for anything but the 'feel' of how bike rides, good old reliable tubes and a standard tyre everytime... also normal tyres weigh less than tubeless so infact you can actualy add weight

Posted: Jun 29, 2011 at 11:46 Quote
Jcougarred wrote:
Tubeless waste of time its not for saving weight its not for anything but the 'feel' of how bike rides, good old reliable tubes and a standard tyre everytime... also normal tyres weigh less than tubeless so infact you can actualy add weight

That's not true you lose the weight of two inner tubes, the the bike feels noticeably lighter and more nimble. The only difference between tires the coating which seals them. The only reason I don't use them is because the trails I ride consists of jagged slate which puts holes in them.

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 at 6:43 Quote
I was running a tubeless set up for a while (UST highrollers on Deemax rims) and I found I was burping air in the corners when I was running below 30PSI, so I ended up having to inflate to 35 minimum. This pretty much negated the point of tubeless for me.

I have moved back to tubes now, and weirdly, on the same tyre / rim combo, the bike feels much more confident, like it has more grip, and drifts more predictably. With tubeless the bike felt really 'bouncy' like the tyres were skitting over stuff instead of maintaining good contact. Maybe the tyres rebound slower with tubes in or something? Maybe it's just because I can run them at ~30PSI?

I've got no explanation for it, but I'm definitely going faster with tubes, even if my bike is half a pound heavier.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025265
Mobile Version of Website