2007 Rockhopper or new low-end bike for beginner?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2007 Rockhopper or new low-end bike for beginner?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 8, 2021 at 17:14 Quote
Beginner MTB'er here.. been a road biker for years (and new poster). I want to test the waters, don't want to spend a ton (yet). I can get a 2007 Rockhopper (v-brakes, dart 3 fork) in pristine shape for $300-$400. A new low-end bike is $500-600 (I like the Marin Bolina Ridge 2 a lot). It looks like upgrading the Rockhopper will be a pain because it doesn't have disc brakes,

Thoughts?

Thanks

Mod
Posted: Sep 8, 2021 at 18:14 Quote
do the wheels on the rockhopper have disc mounts? if so get a brake kit and rotors and itll be a better bike with higher quality components

brake kit https://www.amazon.com/JGbike-Compatible-Hydraulic-Shimano-1450mm/dp/B073YQP5R8/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=jgbike%2Bbrake%2Bset&qid=1631150202&sr=8-2&th=1&psc=1

take it to your bike shop and they'll do it

Posted: Sep 10, 2021 at 13:15 Quote
do yourself a favor and go with the newer bike. trust me! old standards and old components are just a headache for maintaining and upgrading. it's harder and harder to find 26" wheel stuff and it's getting more and more expensive for those same parts also. If you don't take to it in the end, sell the bike off to recoup the cost as the bike market is obviously very strong currently.

Posted: Sep 11, 2021 at 15:29 Quote
I would definitely go with a newer 29". I bought a older 2010 Salsa Dos 29er for $400 off CL. Cleaned it up and it's actually a awesome bike.

Posted: Sep 11, 2021 at 15:52 Quote
What type of riding are you doing? It really depends on what type of experience your looking for. If the Rockhopper has a fair resale market than you can always resell it after you get hooked. For entry level, or any level for that mater, it 95% rider 5% bike. I started with a oldschool Klien. Don't get me wrong; the newer full suspension bikes are in another league. Just realize that your probably going to love MTB and your definitely going to want a beter bike. Don't throw your money away chasing the performance of a 29er with upgrading a 26; it will never be as good.

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 16:03 Quote
Be ready to tune every bit on the older bike. Hold out for a high end bike if you insist on older bikes. You will need the rebuildable high end components. Rockhoppers were low end and always will be. If you are used to road bikes, dial back your speed and shifting performance expectations. Older bikes can be cleaned up and made to run flawlessly, but you cannot change geometry. For serious offroad, cost of entry is a problem, but smooth flow over rough terrain pays off in spades. Anything older than 2008 just gonna be a real nice town bike. Very easy to spend more on replacements and matching parts than a decent entry level hardtail with modern geo and current compenents. Looking for straight 1 1/8 fork? Or schweet 26 rims? Anything before 10 speed no clutch? It gets expensive or chinese(or front derailleur). You can rebuild and tune to nasa level, but older bike gonna be a restoration piece with attendant part cost. Get newer wheels, tapered headset, anything after 10spd clutch drivetrain, disc brakes. It will save you money on parts. (Rim brake wheels are like hens teeth...)

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 17:27 Quote
Do yourself a favor and save up for a newer bike..I dumped way too much into my 2010 hard rock pro only to sell for loss earlier this year. I did spend more for my 1st full squish bike and was Def worth it.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 11:15 Quote
bnmdad wrote:
Beginner MTB'er here.. been a road biker for years (and new poster). I want to test the waters, don't want to spend a ton (yet). I can get a 2007 Rockhopper (v-brakes, dart 3 fork) in pristine shape for $300-$400. A new low-end bike is $500-600 (I like the Marin Bolina Ridge 2 a lot). It looks like upgrading the Rockhopper will be a pain because it doesn't have disc brakes,

Thoughts?

Thanks

Bike have come a long way since the mid 2000's. My advice would be go with a new bike. It will start you off on the right path and for $500, you can get a lot of bike. I did a review of 4 bikes under $500 last year. I know depending on where you live bike are still hard to come by, but all four were solid contenders and would serve you well. They were the 2021 Giant Talon, 2021 Marin Bolinas Ridge 1, 2021 Trek Marlin 4 and the 2021 Polygon Cascade 3. I would assume for 2022 they are all still priced around the same. Feel free to check out my article at https://new2mtbiking.com/best-starter-mountain-bikes-for-under-500/

I really do think these bike offer great value and a solid base for someone looking to try out the sport and make sure it is for them. Disc brakes IMO are a must. A decent range of gears and somewhat modern geometry will make your ride more comfortable as well. Hope this helps!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008916
Mobile Version of Website