Best and cheapest zones in South America/ Asia

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best and cheapest zones in South America/ Asia
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 9, 2021 at 10:58 Quote
I'm looking for ideas for a place to live and ride for the next 6-12 months. I'm an American so most countries have tourist visas available to me. Must have reliable internet as I work remotely and low cost of living. Bonus points for expat communities, vegan food and public transit to visit neighboring zones.

I'm most interested in inexpensive places with good trail networks that can be pedaled from the city as I will have no car. Some places I'm considering: Chang Mai, Oaxaca, and Santiago. What else is out there?

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 9:24 Quote
shrednbreakfast wrote:
I'm looking for ideas for a place to live and ride for the next 6-12 months. I'm an American so most countries have tourist visas available to me. Must have reliable internet as I work remotely and low cost of living. Bonus points for expat communities, vegan food and public transit to visit neighboring zones.

I'm most interested in inexpensive places with good trail networks that can be pedaled from the city as I will have no car. Some places I'm considering: Chang Mai, Oaxaca, and Santiago. What else is out there?

I lived in Macae, Brazil last year and maybe going back in December. There are 2 short DH trails near to the town that volunteers have been working on. The other trails you will need a car.

Sanandu Park
Montanha Azul
Vale das videiras in petropolis
some waterfalls near (Cachoeira da fortuna)
Paraty (south of rio de janeiro)

Trails here aren't as good as united states or maybe other places, but there are some beautiful beaches and small mountains. Rio de janeiro also is an interesting place, but you need to be careful not to carry expensive phones or anything that attracts attention. The same can be said for almost all of Brazil or south american countries.
It is inexpensive here and food delivery is less than $10.
Expat communities exist here because there are offshore oil rigs, but still is difficult to find english speakers.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 9:55 Quote
I've visited a bunch of countries in South America, but it was a long time ago. Cost of living is lower than the USA just about everywhere.
The cheapest living (according to Google): The following countries have the lowest cost of living: Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru. The most expensive countries to live in are Argentina, Chile, Brazil and Uruguay.

The place with the most trails ((looking at Trailforks): Brazil.
The most trails are located in one particular region. Check out Belo Horizonte.

Good luck.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 10:34 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
I've visited a bunch of countries in South America, but it was a long time ago. Cost of living is lower than the USA just about everywhere.
The cheapest living (according to Google): The following countries have the lowest cost of living: Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru. The most expensive countries to live in are Argentina, Chile, Brazil and Uruguay.

The place with the most trails ((looking at Trailforks): Brazil.
The most trails are located in one particular region. Check out Belo Horizonte.

Good luck.

I have never been to Belo Horizonte because the drive is long and difficult. But i've been told that it's good. Also, a lot of trails aren't on Trailforks. It's possible to discover trails on strava or google maps.

A lot of the customers at the brazil bike shop go to either Argentina or whistler. Argentina should be cheap because the economy isn't good there - some Argentinians go to brazil for work.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 11:17 Quote
i-squared-r wrote:
... Also, a lot of trails aren't on Trailforks. It's possible to discover trails on strava or google maps.

A lot of the customers at the brazil bike shop go to either Argentina or whistler. Argentina should be cheap because the economy isn't good there - some Argentinians go to brazil for work.

True - TF isn't the be all and end all in trail mapping. It's a good start.

Attached picture shows cycling heatmap from Strava. The 'hottest' region is southern Brazil - probably roadies.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006808
Mobile Version of Website