Shorter cranks on a Ripmo yes/No

PB Forum :: Ibis
Shorter cranks on a Ripmo yes/No
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 10, 2021 at 19:30 Quote
I have a Ripmo XL on order…I was thinking of shorter cranks. If so how short?

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 8:54 Quote
You could go with 170s if you want.

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 7:10 Quote
I have an XL v1, run 175mm Race Face Next R’s and have never considered shorter cranks. My personal theory is many of the people who complain about low BB and pedal strikes are coming from borderline retro bikes.

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 13:27 Quote
Yikes123 wrote:
I have a Ripmo XL on order…I was thinking of shorter cranks. If so how short?
I've ridden my v2 XL with 175 and 165 cranks. I liked the shorter ones.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 0:16 Quote
I can only offer a bit of an anecdote. I'm 175 cm tall. On my road bike I changed my cranks from 172.5mm to 165 mm and I'm not going back. It puts the knees and hips at a less acute angle, and increases cadence slightly all of which are easier on the knees. On a road bike it also opens up your chest. I have a Ripley AF in a large. It comes with 175 mm cranks. I'm contemplating taking that to 165 as well but I have to look at the geometry a bit. The relation between saddle height, and setback is a bit more complex on an MTB than a road bike. At the very least I'll put a 170 on there to improve position a bit and take some strain off of my knees.

What are you hoping to gain from going to shorter cranks?

Posted: Nov 19, 2021 at 10:15 Quote
On my Ripmo AF 175mm cranks I was getting pedal strikes every ride. I couple of these stopped the bike completely and I went over the bars twice. Ouch 63 years old is too old for face plants.

I installed some 165mm cranks with 32 tooth front sprocket and love it now. No more hard pedal strikes, just a few minor pedal touches now and again. And the one extra tooth on the front sprocket (from my old 31 tooth) seems to give me just a little more speed on the flats and doesn't bother me otherwise.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005645
Mobile Version of Website