Desperate for options

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 11, 2021 at 7:41 Quote
Hello all. I have a 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC and after taking the old girl out for the first time in 10+ years, the Fox Float RL rear shock is leaking oil but held air at 215 PSI. I sent it in for repair but was told it might not be fixable due to the age and I REALLY cant afford another MTB right now. Im curious as to why I cant replace that 6" shock with a 6.5" one and maybe add a little more sag? Am I now stuck with a heavy hard tail? Its going to be hard to sell without a rear shock. Thanks.

Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 2:23 Quote
Half an inch of eye to eye will put the geometry out of whack, it will raise the bb, steepen the head angle etc.
Increasing the sag will work to make your suspension even more unbalanced, your rear end will be really soft.

If you want a replacement there is one shock I have seen out there that might work, the DNM AO-6 does come in the right size but I dont know if it is any good.

Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 4:10 Quote
dogboy1066 wrote:
Half an inch of eye to eye will put the geometry out of whack, it will raise the bb, steepen the head angle etc.
Increasing the sag will work to make your suspension even more unbalanced, your rear end will be really soft.

If you want a replacement there is one shock I have seen out there that might work, the DNM AO-6 does come in the right size but I dont know if it is any good.

Those DNM shocks are good, AFAIK they are reversed engineered Fox shocks.

Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 6:35 Quote
The main problem with the increase in eye to eye length is that the swingarm linkage may strike the frame when extending. Try looking into offset bushings for you shock. 1/2" translates into 12.7mm which is alot. You can check your max clearance by removing the frame side shock bolt with the bike off the ground. Obviously the best way would be to get the correct length shock. I put a 6mm longer shock on my Santacruz with the flip chip in low (4mm effective length increase) and still had 1mm of clearance from linkage to frame. In my case the I had lots of peddle striking so I was looking for more bottom bracket hight.

Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 7:06 Quote
The linkage is behind the frame unlike on a SC, which is typically in front (of the seat tube), so it wont be a problem. Putting on a longer shock will force the swing arm down, so maybe there could be an issue by the pivot point at the BB, where the arm could hit the BB, but looking at photos it would have to be a really long shock to do that.

Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 8:47 Quote
I would suggest look into a used shock here on pinkbike so you don't spend too much money. There may be a drop off in the suspension arch caused by running the travel so far out of range. This may result in undesirable stability issues when using the upper end of the travel; like jumping. A 12mm increase is substantial; I only went 4mm so I cannot say with confidence it will give you satisfactory results. In my case the leverage curve for my bike is completely linear so, for small outliers, it didn't affect the handling. If the used shock works for you, it can always be resold. Dogboy1066 ultimately has the best advise; which in the long run will save you a lot of trouble due to unforeseen consequences. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, it's the law.

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 12:39 Quote
I have an '01 FSRXC and I did mount a 6.5" shock.

Yes, it drastically changes the geometry. I used a Float AVA so I could adjust the air can volume, and used an adjustable-height fork. It was still a bit funky but the original 6" shock was super progressive and wallowy.
No, there's no binding or contact of linkages/stays,
Yes, it likely causes increased stress, my original shock linkage cracked, but I found a replacement which is still working (retired the frame a few years ago).

I agree it's best to repair/replace the original 6" shock.
When you say it's leaking oil is that out of the rebound adjuster, or is there just oil on the stanchion?
Like was said, an air can service is cheap and easy, why not remove the air can and take a look?

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 15:18 Quote
Fox rebuild kit a good option at twenty bucks. Just pick the seals with a dentist tool carefully. No need buy fancy new shock not fit yer frame. Or ride the piss out of it and go hardtail. Im still on 2002 labeled marz forks. They spew some schmutz, but i swap in motor oil once a year. Still needs a rebound adjust, but it is in there deep on those old forks and im lazy. My dentist tool picks my teeth too. Not buyin 300 buck replacement. But i dont mind beatin the crap out of my old gear. Just pull it apart and muck around with it. Whats the worst? You get a hardtail frame with better geo if it goes south. Maybe a good thing?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006615
Mobile Version of Website