close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

I'm likely never going back to analog

PB Forum :: eMTB
I'm likely never going back to analog
Author Message
Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 16:14 Quote
jbrown-15 wrote:
Slapnutz wrote:
Sounds like a big person blaming it on the cookies.

So what happens if someone rides an eBike as hard as their regular bike?

For me it’s a harder workout because you are more inspired to climb things a person would normally step off for. Many pluses for the proper person. I feel it’s no fault of the bike if you simply give in to the “easy” way.

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 21:20 Quote
I can ride my ebike flat out everywhere. But not feel tired afterwards.

The same can not be said for a mtb.

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 22:08 Quote
Slapnutz wrote:
jbrown-15 wrote:
Slapnutz wrote:
Sounds like a big person blaming it on the cookies.

So what happens if someone rides an eBike as hard as their regular bike?

For me it’s a harder workout because you are more inspired to climb things a person would normally step off for. Many pluses for the proper person. I feel it’s no fault of the bike if you simply give in to the “easy” way.

I would still ride both of my bikes, regular and ebike. You can definitely cheat a little if you ride in boost or turbo the whole time and just stay in the easiest gears. But if you actually hammer on the pedals you can still get a good workout in. I went for a quick ride this afternoon before it got dark, rode 9km's in an hour with 630 meters of gained elevation with an average heart rate of a 147bmp and peaks of 185bmp.

When I'm on my ebike I try to ride non stop with no stops or rests.

I guess it just depends on how you ride them. I still enjoy riding a regular bike if I'm not in a hurry to squeeze a quick ride in.

Posted: Nov 9, 2021 at 5:17 Quote
Book There are thing called e-moto's, i heard you don't even need to pedal. I could never go back to an e-bike Razz

Posted: Nov 11, 2021 at 10:59 Quote
I have several bikes in my garage including a YT Decoy (eBike)
and a brand new Yeti SB130LR. I also have a Yeti ARC hardtail
which I'll probably sell but that's not the point. The point is each
bike is for a different purpose and each one excels in it's own way.
The Decoy is the most fun bike I've ever had period! It can do
literally anything from big jumps to XC trails. I can also use the
power settings to tailor my ride to make it harder or easier
depending on how I feel. Lately I ride 98% in eco and it's a hell
of a workout!

The SB130 excels at riding with others who don't have eBikes
and also going to the occasional park day. It requires more of
a commitment because there is only one way to ride it and it
doesn't matter how you feel, you have to give it your all.

Point I'm trying to make is each bike is different and each one
of us is different so just go out and have fun and don't be afraid
to mix it up with different styles of bikes, it'll only make you a
better rider!

Posted: Nov 11, 2021 at 16:53 Quote
armeniandave wrote:
I have several bikes in my garage including a YT Decoy (eBike)
and a brand new Yeti SB130LR. I also have a Yeti ARC hardtail
which I'll probably sell but that's not the point. The point is each
bike is for a different purpose and each one excels in it's own way.
The Decoy is the most fun bike I've ever had period! It can do
literally anything from big jumps to XC trails. I can also use the
power settings to tailor my ride to make it harder or easier
depending on how I feel. Lately I ride 98% in eco and it's a hell
of a workout!

The SB130 excels at riding with others who don't have eBikes
and also going to the occasional park day. It requires more of
a commitment because there is only one way to ride it and it
doesn't matter how you feel, you have to give it your all.

Point I'm trying to make is each bike is different and each one
of us is different so just go out and have fun and don't be afraid
to mix it up with different styles of bikes, it'll only make you a
better rider!

That's one thing I don't get and another reason that I think most that say it's "cheating" or "I prefer to earn my turns" haven't really put a good ride in on an ebike. You want a great workout, ride the whole time in Eco....lol

I enjoy riding my ebike, dirt jumper and enduro mountain bike all equally for different reasons.

Posted: Nov 13, 2021 at 14:26 Quote
jbrown-15 wrote:
Slapnutz wrote:
Sounds like a big person blaming it on the cookies.

So what happens if someone rides an eBike as hard as their regular bike?

I don’t buy into this “it’s not as good of a workout” nonsense. I’ve compared my heart rate on both types of bikes and it’s nearly identical on average. Cardio-wise, at least, I’m getting the same workout. Probably a little better because I’m inclined to ride longer.

Posted: Nov 14, 2021 at 23:57 Quote
gnarlysipes wrote:
jbrown-15 wrote:
Slapnutz wrote:
Sounds like a big person blaming it on the cookies.

So what happens if someone rides an eBike as hard as their regular bike?

I don’t buy into this “it’s not as good of a workout” nonsense. I’ve compared my heart rate on both types of bikes and it’s nearly identical on average. Cardio-wise, at least, I’m getting the same workout. Probably a little better because I’m inclined to ride longer.

I agree, your heartrate stays about the same on both types of bike, but you're using a lot more muscle power on a regular pedal bike, and there comes the feeling of not having done a workout.

Posted: Nov 15, 2021 at 0:09 Quote
xxinsert-name-herexx wrote:
gnarlysipes wrote:
jbrown-15 wrote:


So what happens if someone rides an eBike as hard as their regular bike?

I don’t buy into this “it’s not as good of a workout” nonsense. I’ve compared my heart rate on both types of bikes and it’s nearly identical on average. Cardio-wise, at least, I’m getting the same workout. Probably a little better because I’m inclined to ride longer.

I agree, your heartrate stays about the same on both types of bike, but you're using a lot more muscle power on a regular pedal bike, and there comes the feeling of not having done a workout.

Again, I’ll ask the same question I did before. What happens when someone pedals as hard as they do on a regular bike?

Posted: Nov 15, 2021 at 1:07 Quote
jbrown-15 wrote:
xxinsert-name-herexx wrote:
gnarlysipes wrote:


I don’t buy into this “it’s not as good of a workout” nonsense. I’ve compared my heart rate on both types of bikes and it’s nearly identical on average. Cardio-wise, at least, I’m getting the same workout. Probably a little better because I’m inclined to ride longer.

I agree, your heartrate stays about the same on both types of bike, but you're using a lot more muscle power on a regular pedal bike, and there comes the feeling of not having done a workout.

Again, I’ll ask the same question I did before. What happens when someone pedals as hard as they do on a regular bike?
You go really really fast until you hit the speed limit and then you're on your own.

Posted: Nov 15, 2021 at 14:29 Quote
As much as I hate to say it, Might have to agree with this one

Posted: Nov 15, 2021 at 15:21 Quote
xxinsert-name-herexx wrote:
gnarlysipes wrote:
jbrown-15 wrote:


So what happens if someone rides an eBike as hard as their regular bike?

I don’t buy into this “it’s not as good of a workout” nonsense. I’ve compared my heart rate on both types of bikes and it’s nearly identical on average. Cardio-wise, at least, I’m getting the same workout. Probably a little better because I’m inclined to ride longer.

I agree, your heartrate stays about the same on both types of bike, but you're using a lot more muscle power on a regular pedal bike, and there comes the feeling of not having done a workout.

After riding regular bikes and eBikes for the last 3 years if you don't feel it after riding the eBike
then that's on you. If you blast around in boost the whole time then yeah you aren't going to feel
like you got a workout in but if you keep it in eco and do more miles you will most definitely feel
it after. My eBike rides are on average 1.7 times as long as my standard bike rides and I feel it!

Posted: Nov 19, 2021 at 17:23 Quote
Yeah, I think it all comes down to the rider and the support mode they’re in. But for me, even in turbo mode (level 3 of 3) I still come away with quads really feeling it. This is comparing rides of similar time between my two bikes. That said, I can see how it’s easy to take the easy way out (up?) on an ebike. I can put it in turbo, reduce my power and/or cadence and not get a great workout.

Posted: Dec 21, 2021 at 14:56 Quote
I never mountain biked for exercise it just happens to be a by product of the fun. If a doctor told you to bike or you would die most would not do it. We all do it for the fun. When I got my first ebike. A Haibike all mountain I fell in love with e mountain biking.. because of peer pressure i actually built up 2 high end carbon bikes about 7 months apart only rode one for 27 miles and sold it rode the second one 17 miles and sold it. Now I have a 2021 trek Rail and love just ebikes. Yes some of my friends say I’m cheating but who cares I always come home with a smile on my face. I rode today and it was. So cold. But on the ebike I still had fun. I probably would not ride a regular bike in this cold who wants to huff and puff climbing up steep hills in below 40 degrees on a regular bike. But on a ebike woo hoo. Ok but I think I’m falling into the same crap again. I found a nice cheap carbon bike here on Pinkbike that I might buy as a backup bike. One good thing if I don’t like it I know I can sell it and even make money on it. But I would never get rid of my ebike. Just too much fun.

Posted: Dec 21, 2021 at 16:05 Quote
badley88 wrote:
I never mountain biked for exercise it just happens to be a by product of the fun. If a doctor told you to bike or you would die most would not do it. We all do it for the fun. When I got my first ebike. A Haibike all mountain I fell in love with e mountain biking.. because of peer pressure i actually built up 2 high end carbon bikes about 7 months apart only rode one for 27 miles and sold it rode the second one 17 miles and sold it. Now I have a 2021 trek Rail and love just ebikes. Yes some of my friends say I’m cheating but who cares I always come home with a smile on my face. I rode today and it was. So cold. But on the ebike I still had fun. I probably would not ride a regular bike in this cold who wants to huff and puff climbing up steep hills in below 40 degrees on a regular bike. But on a ebike woo hoo. Ok but I think I’m falling into the same crap again. I found a nice cheap carbon bike here on Pinkbike that I might buy as a backup bike. One good thing if I don’t like it I know I can sell it and even make money on it. But I would never get rid of my ebike. Just too much fun.

I still don't get this "cheating" mentality, who am I cheating by riding an ebike....lol

I'm having fun, and if having fun is cheating then fine call me a cheater.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007605
Mobile Version of Website