Unknown part came off while cleaning

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Unknown part came off while cleaning
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 7:18 Quote
This little plastic clip came off my bike while I was cleaning either my fox 36 or front shimano brake.

Can you please help me identify:

Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 10:52 Quote
It wraps around the head of a brake caliper bolt. A piece has snapped off but don't worry about it. Make sure the bolt it came off is tightened correctly to around 8Nm. I never worry if those clips are fitted or not as regular safety checks will ensure bolts aren't loose.

Imo it is one of those unnecessary extra pieces for bolt security to keep the lawyers happy. Wink

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 15:23 Quote
He's right. It's a mechanical device to prevent caliper mounting bolts backing out. Same idea as the plate washers that come with Shimano 6-bolt rotors. I haven't figured out if Shimano is actually that afraid of being sued or if it's a campaign to make all the other brake manufacturers look irresponsible.

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 18:12 Quote
Not needed at all. Not really even a safety feature either, as they just clip into the bolt heads and aren't secured to anything else like the caliper or adapter. I always fugured they were just to ease installation and removal

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006375
Mobile Version of Website