SRAM Type 3 clutch rant

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
SRAM Type 3 clutch rant
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 4:13 Quote
I recently had to let my old X01 eagle mech go in the bin after too many rock strikes.

The only mech I could get my hands on was an NX derailleur, so I wasn't too fussed about the name on it as long as it had a clutch.

First ride out was so noisy. Any significant root, drop, slight jump would result in an irritating slap/thwack as the derailleur struggled to hold back the bottom run of chain. Also, noise over general chatter was distracting.

I checked the actual resistance of the clutch by removing the cage plates and spring, and put a torque wrench on the bolt to the back of the clutch. The NX derailleur clutch was only giving 1Nm of resistance while my old (also Type 3) X01 was around 2.4Nm...obviously the spring offers more resistance to movement, but this difference in the clutch resistance alone was very obvious when riding.

I've just put a Shimano SLX mech on and it's already quieter just dropping the bike from standing, I'll see how it is out on the trail. tup

Has anyone else had a bad experience with the Type 3 clutches? I used to adjust the old Type 2, but as the resistance isn't adjustable...surely it's a warranty job?

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005278
Mobile Version of Website