Hightower XL feels like noodle !

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Hightower XL feels like noodle !
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 6:59 Quote
2016 XL Hightower feels real soft laterally.

Set-up:

XL carbon frame (brand new bearings and sleeves kit);
i9 trail 270 29 wheelset with new rear bearings;
2.4 DHR tires at 25-26psi, standard casing
Rear DPX 2 150mm (LT stye), 1 volume spacer, 20-30% sag.
Frame set-up in "High" position

Frame has a lot of miles, but can't believe it's that soft now.

Any thoughts on this ? Where to start from ? Swapping wheels didn't help.

Cheers !

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 2:44 Quote
Feels soft, or is soft? Is there actually any play in the linkage?

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 3:05 Quote
TimMog wrote:
Feels soft, or is soft? Is there actually any play in the linkage?

I'd say it is soft compared to other bikes. Rear wheel has a lot of "side play" when force is applied. All bearings are new.

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 4:50 Quote
If there is actual play even after replacing the bearings, you need to make sure your pivot bolts are all done up properly, no washers have been missed, etc.

All bikes will flex somewhat if you're applying force to them in a way that doesn't normally occur. We've all stomped on one pedal and noted how much the bottom bracket sways. On the bike, you'll NEVER be applying force like that.

Is the side flex you're experiencing happening whilst riding, or when pushing on it in your garage?

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 17:37 Quote
TimMog wrote:
If there is actual play even after replacing the bearings, you need to make sure your pivot bolts are all done up properly, no washers have been missed, etc.

All bikes will flex somewhat if you're applying force to them in a way that doesn't normally occur. We've all stomped on one pedal and noted how much the bottom bracket sways. On the bike, you'll NEVER be applying force like that.

Is the side flex you're experiencing happening whilst riding, or when pushing on it in your garage?

Yes, I can feel it when riding, a feeling like it the wheel was flexing in a weird way.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 14:33 Quote
Try another wheel, see if it still does the same thing

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005151
Mobile Version of Website