2020 Norco Sight - FOX or ROCKSHOX shock

PB Forum :: Norco
2020 Norco Sight - FOX or ROCKSHOX shock
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 15:12 Quote
Hi all, I'm looking for the best shock option from my 2020 carbon Sight. I had the 2021 X2 factory first. Very good shock, felt lively and smooth, didn’t bottom out harshly, but had a tendency to eat up the travel quite easily. Usually, even on mellower trails, I used up 90% or more of the rear travel and not more than 70% upfront. I’ve been playing with c/r settings to find the best balance but struggled to find it. Until... the shock exploded (the main stanchion cracked). As there are huge shortages in the spare parts, I have to wait for months to get the shock back.

I decided to try RS Super Deluxe Ultimate (55mm stroke, no other option available here). It eats up the travel as easily as X2, even with the higher pressure than suggested by Norco. It also feels less plush, the bike is less stable and harsher. Installed 3 tokens, tried different compression options, still worse than FOX. On both shocks, the bike feels like it has less travel than the other 150/160 bikes I tried.

I'm about 86kg/190lbs fully kitted so I'm not on the end of the pressure scale to struggle with the overpumped shock.

What's your experience with those two shocks? Which one suits better to this frame and suspension design? How to find a sweet spot between the rear suspension being plush and has a bottomless feeling?

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 16:18 Quote
This is a common complaint about the '20+ Sight. I fixed it by getting this:

https://cascadecomponents.bike/collections/norco-linkages/products/sight-link

IMO despite the marketing the Sight's suspension is not designed for aggressive riders or really harsh terrain; it's a bike for the masses, bike park flow trails and dads. Fair enough... that's where they money is. Thankfully the Cascade link saves the bike from this fate!

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 18:13 Quote
im at 98kg and getting dangerously close to over pressurising the shock(on a fox x2 sight 21), my understanding is the cascade link requires more pressure to get back to sag etc.
Mr Kendall-weed has a good video on the links.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 19:30 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
im at 98kg and getting dangerously close to over pressurising the shock(on a fox x2 sight 21), my understanding is the cascade link requires more pressure to get back to sag etc.
Mr Kendall-weed has a good video on the links.

I'm not sure if that applies to the Sight - if the frame has less leverage on the shock across the whole curve you'd need less pressure overall.

Cascade recommends 30% sag. If I ran that on the stock link I'd be bottoming out constantly... I'm running the same pressure as I had with the stock link and it's massively different.

Sight curve:

The Evil curve (like they talk about in the Kendall-Weed video) is very different:

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 22:08 Quote
i would be under the impression based on that curve it would require more air pressure to hold the shock up at sag,

Lets take one of my previous bikes as an example, it had a 2.3 leverage ratio and low progressivity, i ran a 400 coil spring/or 165 psi in a super duluxe - for a 98kg rider thats a very light setup for a 150mm AM bike.

The sight stock and with the cascade link leverage ratios of 2.85 and 2.95 one with lower and one with slightly more progressivity, avg leverage ratio will generally effect the suspension as it first pushes into the sag area, which is around 15mm of shock stroke, and based on the curve you've posted for the two links, its leverage is higher at 15mm stroke which would require more pressure to hold the back up...

Cascade's link for the sight is deceiving and is more about giving that little more travel to bring the progressivity up, you can get similar results and feel by running a 55mm shock. (coil)

I looked at a review of the sights cascade link and for lighter riders it works very well but for heavier riders it doesnt really change the bike much.(their opinion and cant remember where i saw it)

Based on my previous experience with other bikes and leverage ratios i dont think i could bring myself to spend $300USD(now 35Cool on that link when im basically at the limits of the X2 now.

Id be keen to hear cascades comments on this.
Ive been using a sight alot for my all-round bike I take while I travel for work and i absolutely love it at home base, heaps of "plushness" and uses its travel up nicely, but when i go to a bike park, i usually adjust everything a little like i would normally and the bike just doesn't feel right, to get the bike to not hard bottom out i need to up tokens and pressure and then i lose all sensitivity, loss of grip and it becomes harsh, which is what the reviews tell us (enduro-mtb and pinkbike) - I do believe for lighter riders they can tune alot of that out, but for us heavier, chunkier guys we are at the limits of the suspension.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 0:43 Quote
The charts do confuse me a little - I would expect the blue line is the Cascade link and the range is stock but my understanding of what a high and low leverage ratio is could be upside down.

Your comment about the extra travel being what introduces more progression is intriguing... If the whole curve is different rather than just being 'longer'... then I think that might disqualify the idea. I dropped out of engineering at uni to do software though!

I can definitely say the stock suspension design isn't optimal for heavier or super aggressive riding. Either way though, my bike feels very different and it's different in the way that I had hoped. I'm already like $8k deep in to a bike I bought for $4.6k so what another $500 Madder There still isn't another bike that suits my needs as well as the Sight I don't think now that I have the link.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 2:31 Quote
al-syd wrote:
The charts do confuse me a little - I would expect the blue line is the Cascade link and the range is stock but my understanding of what a high and low leverage ratio is could be upside down.

Your comment about the extra travel being what introduces more progression is intriguing... If the whole curve is different rather than just being 'longer'... then I think that might disqualify the idea. I dropped out of engineering at uni to do software though!

I can definitely say the stock suspension design isn't optimal for heavier or super aggressive riding. Either way though, my bike feels very different and it's different in the way that I had hoped. I'm already like $8k deep in to a bike I bought for $4.6k so what another $500 Madder There still isn't another bike that suits my needs as well as the Sight I don't think now that I have the link.

the more travel lets them start the leverage higher and end up at the same in the case of the sight, In theory their target looks to make coil a more viable option for the sight, however id think you'd need to jump up spring rates to overcome the extra initial leverage.

Personally Im Not a huge fan of high leverage bikes due to my weight an riding style, I kind of impulse bought this sight as a frame so decided to buy it, i do really love it for the local stuff and the climbing position suits my preferred uprightness so i just seem to keep on riding it lol.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 8:18 Quote
The overall idea with cascade link is interesting but there is another problem pushing me back from this solution - the price. Here in Europe, it costs around 500$. That's crazy expensive.

Do you have any experience with setting up 2021 X2 Factory shock in this frame? There are tons of adjustments, maybe someone found some nice settings improving mid stroke support?

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 20:17 Quote
I've tried the 2021 X2 on an A2. Definitely better but isn't the silver bullet.

If you're truly interesting in solving the problem the the linkage is the most cost effective way of doing it. A '21 X2 costs twice as much and upgrading to a new bike costs double that again.

That's the way I justified it any way; I love everything else about my C2 and replacing it is basically impossible. It has a great spec that climbs, jumps, and now ploughs. I paid AUD$4600 for it and an equivalent bike costs around $8000 (if I could even find a bike in stock).

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 7:50 Quote
I have the RS Super Deluxe. A couple of months ago I had my shocks 200hr service at Fluid Function (Squamish BC). The head suspension guy there rides the Sight as well, for an extra $20 he tuned the shock for me.

It's made quite the difference, the mid stroke is much better, the high speed chop is gone and better traction. The end stroke.... I haven't bottomed out yet!

All my riding buds have commented how much faster I've been riding, I don't feel like I'm pushing it, I guess because it's smoother and I'm able to carry more speed through the rough stuff. The shock still remains poppy on jumps, etc.

Best $20 I've ever spent!

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 13:41 Quote
I've got a RS super deluxe with a meg neg fitted. I'm really struggling with setup, there is 3 tokens in the positive side to stop excessive bottom out but I've lost all small bump sensitivity.
I'm going to keep playing around with tokens and clickers but I might switch to coil.

Posted: Oct 4, 2021 at 20:53 Quote
Vorsprung tuned superdeluxe is what you want.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005881
Mobile Version of Website