Installing new XT brakes

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Installing new XT brakes
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 16:38 Quote
Just got a rear XT brake and it came with the lever not hooked to the hose.

Can I just connect these without cutting the line? There seems to be a barb on the end of the line already but it also seems like there is a little black plug in the opening of it. Can this just be taken out and used as is?

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 21:55 Quote
Shimano call a newly supplied brake with the lever not attached a J kit (Junction kit). This is ideal for internally routed frames but still handy for cutting hoses to custom lengths before fitting. Sometimes, but not always these J kits come with spare hose fittings in the box.

The hose and lever is full of fluid (pre bled) so they have a plug or just a round sticky disc over the insert/barb. There should also be a yellow plug in the end of the lever too.

The barb once inserted into the hose is meant to be difficult if not impossible to get out so not worth the hassle trying.

As long as you're happy with the length of your hose as it is then take out the plug/s and fit everything together as normal. Likely you'll lose a very small amount of fluid which is just about acceptable but personally I still do a bleed afterwards to make sure.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 8:30 Quote
Reaperactual wrote:
The hose and lever is full of fluid (pre bled) so they have a plug or just a round sticky disc over the insert/barb. There should also be a yellow plug in the end of the lever too.

So there seems to be a little black piece acting as a plug in the pre installed barb, like I’m talking it’s 1-2mm wide in the hole of the barb.

You’re supposed to pry that out with like a toothpick or something?…

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 8:38 Quote
Chances are you're going to have to cut the hoses to the proper length. Might as well do it all at once.

Post I pic of the plug, I'd assume you'd remove it. Any word about that in the instructions?

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 15:56 Quote
I recently noticed the same thing installing XT brakes. The barb has a rubber like seal inside the barb.
I decided not to chance trying to remove the rubber piece from the barb(if it's even possible?) I just cut and inch of hose, then installed the spare barb that they usually include with your brakes.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 20:08 Quote

interesting

So at this point I already went to a shop and they cut it and attached for me, however I was fine with the long length if I could of done it myself

according to that manual I could of just stuck in the pre installed barb as is and tightened it up, still doesn't really explain to me how that tiny black plug in the barb comes into play.

does working the lever just blow it out? ha

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 1:57 Quote
coadymacmillan wrote:

interesting

So at this point I already went to a shop and they cut it and attached for me, however I was fine with the long length if I could of done it myself

according to that manual I could of just stuck in the pre installed barb as is and tightened it up, still doesn't really explain to me how that tiny black plug in the barb comes into play.

does working the lever just blow it out? ha

I haven't looked at the fitting instructions but believe some road bike drop bar j kit brake hoses are supplied with just a sticky tab that gets pierced by the in-line connector it goes in. I've only ever seen j kit brakes with the same sticky tab, even on mtb brakes.

Maybe it's different with XT's but reckon a plug is still only simply to stop pre bled fluid leaking out and contaminating pads when boxed and in transit.

Personally I would have tried using a blade to drag out the plug making sure it's in one piece, if not then I'd have cut the whole thing off and fitted a new insert.

Whatever the instructions say I definately wouldn't leave a plug or section of it in there that I assume would block fluid and/or cause some kind of issue.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005177
Mobile Version of Website