Fox polymer eyelet bushings wear out very fast.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fox polymer eyelet bushings wear out very fast.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 13:41 Quote
Two bikes, same problem.
2019 YT Jeffsy 29 with DPX2 and 2020 YT Capra with the DHX2.
On both of these bikes the shock bushings wear out very fast! Anything from 75 to 250 miles, and I can hear/feel they have slop. Pick up the bike, suspension unweights, clunk, put the bike down, suspension weights down, clunk.

I got the TF Tuned heavy duty kit for the rear of Capra, so far so good. But front failed 3 times over. I replaced the bushings, it's nice and tight. And it fails fairly quickly.

I tried the bushings only, and the whole kit. Same results. Bushings: https://cambriabike.com/products/fox-suspension-polymer-flanged-eyelet-bushing?variant=37966995587254&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplpGM013121-05&sc_intid=GM013121-05&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1ouKBhC5ARIsAHXNMI_e6MOej4axW-hLW_Z9NMioy0FM_5Ib8tTnkK2bTY3wHTlwfeNExAcaAiJFEALw_wcB

Anybody else has this problem, and maybe found the solution?

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 15:02 Quote
Pop out the bushings and add a narrow strip of tape on the inside bore of the shock. Start with like 3-4mm wide. leave the tape a little long so inserting bushings doesn't push it out of the way. Reinsert the bushings check for slop, add more tape if necessary.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 6:49 Quote
I think it would have to be REALLY thin tape. Fit is tight already. Maybe a teflon tape, the plumbing one could work....
eshew wrote:
Pop out the bushings and add a narrow strip of tape on the inside bore of the shock. Start with like 3-4mm wide. leave the tape a little long so inserting bushings doesn't push it out of the way. Reinsert the bushings check for slop, add more tape if necessary.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 7:20 Quote
I wear them out too in muddy western Oregon. I switched to roller bearings and it hasn’t been a problem. Better small bumps too

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/shock-eyelet-bearing-kits/6mm-8mm-thru-bolts/

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 8:38 Quote
The tape is going to have to be thick enough to take up the play, Teflon might work but it's fragile.

It's super easy to try, there was a YouTube video on it, essentially the issue can be cause from wear and tear or sometimes bores or pins can be sightly out of spec, and cause the issue.

The tape is just there to shim things up.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005006
Mobile Version of Website