Do RM suspension bearings require more maintenance than other brands (due to suspension design)?

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
Do RM suspension bearings require more maintenance than other brands (due to suspension design)?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 17:37 Quote
I'm switching from Santa Cruz to a brand new Altitude, and my buddy who was a shop guy in a previous life remembers his fleet of rental RM's requiring far more suspension bearing service than other brands. He is telling me to not buy this bike (too late Big Grin ).

I'm wondering if he's just a SC fanboy, if his memory is cloudy, if this is something RM improved on, or just patently false?

Thanks!

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 7:21 Quote
I have a 2018 Altitude and I am on my 3rd set of lower shock eyelet bearings. It really seems to eat those. I may try to see if RWC makes a kit that would work for it next time. All the other bearings are original although the bearings near the dropout are getting a little crunchy.

I had a 2006 Slayer for 5 years which I had to replace the main pivot bearings once and shock bushings once.

Compare that to my 2013 Yeti SB66 and all the bearings turned to dust every 9 months. Of course, the rear swingarm broke just about as frequently...

When I worked in a bike shop, I replaced 2002-2006 SC Superlight and Heckler bearings all the time. Conversely, a buddy of mine had a 2014 Heckler for 6 years and only had to replace bearings once.

In the end, it comes down the the model more than the brand. My 2 Rocky Mountains had pretty normal levels of bearing wear in my opinion. Except the lower shock bearings seem like they wear too fast. Keep an eye on those.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005003
Mobile Version of Website