Hightower LT rock strike

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Hightower LT rock strike
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 13:54 Quote
I was riding mildly fast and my front wheel decided to eject quite a big rock from the ground whitch subsequently struck the downtube of my Santa Cruz Hightower LT. The annoying part is that it just barely missed the bash plate/frame protector.
The damage doesnt feel particularly soft but I can see what appears to be broken carbon fiber strands. I imagine that this area of the frame is in great tension during compressions so im not really comfortable riding the bike at anything other than slow pace any more.. Does anyone here have experience with similar damage? Did you get it repaired or replaced? Would you ride it?

Im the second owner of this bike so im not even going to bother contacting Santa Cruz about a possible warranty claim.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 18:50 Quote
Even though you are not going to claim warranty, you could send the pictures to Santa Cuz and they may or may not give you advice. They might also be able to suggest a repair shop that works with them regularly.
Looks looks a good ding, mostly paint but clearly some carbon damage also. If it were mine, I would probably still ride it and look to get it repaired in the off-season. Clearly only judging by this one picture and no other info. Use your best judgement.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006206
Mobile Version of Website