FS to Hardtail

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 17:39 Quote
I'm thinking about going from RM Thunderbolt 27.5 to a all mountain HT 29.Something like a canfield Nimble 9. I bought a old Salsa DOS 29 on CL and enjoy riding it more than my Thunderbolt, and it's faster. Has anyone else gone back to hardtail and liked it or regretted it?

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 18:28 Quote
I like having both and choosing what to use depending on the ride. Pimp

I enjoy the direct feel of a hardtail and the instant feedback that helps you improve your riding.

Hardtails are good for muddy winter riding too, easier to clean and lower maintenance (I find I tend to be riding easier trails in slippery winter conditions anyway). That one may depend on where you live.

But you do feel the impacts more from drops or rough stuff (even just high speed chatter), which can tire you out faster or make for sore joints if the years are creeping up and making you feel old.

I'm more likely to try features on the edge of my skill/experience level with the more forgiving nature of FS.

Both have their advantages.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 20:39 Quote
I went from FS to a hardtail and love it. Built a Ragley Mmmbop first. Decided to sell my YT Jeffsy CF Pro Race and build a custom Marino Hardtail then sold my YT Tues29 to build an Enduro Marino Hardtail. For me it’s more fun and more control especially on really steep, technical downhills.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 5:21 Quote
I built a pipe dream moxie hardtail with comparable geo to my full susser for winter riding, more mellow XC type rides and as a spare.

Having not ridden a hardtail for a while I was actually shocked how much slower it was on rough terrain. The back wheel literally gets checked every time it hits feature and it’s really noticeable if you are coasting through rocks and roots.

It’s also much more fatiguing on my ageing bones, again on fast rocky terrain. That being said, it’s great in the winter, faster with low profile tires on for mellow terrain and it’s nice to have a competent spare.

It will tackle everything the enduro will, just a bit slower and harder on the joints. In fact I saw more Moxies than any other hardtail at a recent local enduro.
Do I like it? Yes. Would it be my only bike? No.

Depends on your riding and terrain I suppose.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 13:18 Quote
I just started riding a Honzo ESD with a steepened HTA using the Works 1.5 headset.. makes it more normal 65.5deg. It’s a f*cking riot!
And I have been amazed at how much farther I ride on this without being as tired. Been about 15 years on fullys…
Love the HT. Definitely worth trying. It’s kind of addictive

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 17:56 Quote
i'm starting to like what I'm hearing i wanna change my name to hardass. Never eat Buffalo wings the day before riding

i could just mount a roll of TP to the seat

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 3:33 Quote
Guys, you all just described riding a hardtail like you've never ridden a bike before

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 18:48 Quote
I can probably give you some insight here.

I went from a FS to a hardtail for 2 years. Then I added back a FS, but kept the hardtail (RSD middlechild). I'm lucky to have both.

When I ride solo i usually prefer the hardtail. I guess I like the added challenge! And the satisfaction of being smooth and getting a hard section ''right''. It is definitely fun, just a different kind of fun than the FS.

But then when riding with groups...The hardtail was holding me back, especially on longer rides. It is not that slower than a FS at first, and it can do everything, but it is a lot more work to keep the same speed on the descents. You have to be sharp on a hardtail, you can't be lazy. Never a dull moment. I tend to take the hardtail on shorter rides, usually solo. I will take the FS for group rides and longer days.

Bonus: you feel like a hero when getting back on a FS from a hardtail. It teaches a lot.

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 20:29 Quote
Depends on the trails you ride and what riding feel you're after. Modern aggro ht's are extremely capable but the rigid rear hasn't changed. Bigger wheels, wider tyres and inserts remove some of the sting and increase traction but certainly not to rear suspension level.

I enjoy my ht on all kinds of terrain but there are some trails that are long, steep, rough and can't really be ridden at lower speed. This is where riding a ht becomes incredibly difficult, fatiguing and ultimately not fun anymore.

All other scenarios I'm having a blast. Esp. on natural hiking/shepherd trails that I'm riding for the first time. Doesn't have to be all smooth flow to be fun on a hardtail.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005332
Mobile Version of Website