Backflipping advice

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Backflipping advice
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 16:12 Quote
Alright so this is something I’ve wanted to do for a while and I want to know if anyone has insight as to what it’s like backflipping a mtb vs on skis. I have a lot of experience flipping on skis, even a few double flips, but I remember when I was learning how to jump a bike (been riding about 3 years) it was much different because of the COG being spread out over 2 wheels vs directly underfoot. On skis backflips were actually super (almost surprisingly) easy, but it seems like doing it on a bike is much different because my feet can slip off the pedals midair. I’m obviously going to have to try it in a foam pit/resi before going to dirt, but I’m wondering if any of you have experience with this and have any pointers. I’m thinking about sending it next season.
Cheers!

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 7:17 Quote
My advice is To look back off the lip and pull the bars to your chest and keep looking back till you see the landing and open up on your first few.
once you get comfortable you'll find you push into the takeoff with your legs and looking back instead of pulling the bars. Its trial and error learning them.
once you get flipping with your legs down you dont even need to look back to spin.
15efaklaris wrote:
Alright so this is something I’ve wanted to do for a while and I want to know if anyone has insight as to what it’s like backflipping a mtb vs on skis. I have a lot of experience flipping on skis, even a few double flips, but I remember when I was learning how to jump a bike (been riding about 3 years) it was much different because of the COG being spread out over 2 wheels vs directly underfoot. On skis backflips were actually super (almost surprisingly) easy, but it seems like doing it on a bike is much different because my feet can slip off the pedals midair. I’m obviously going to have to try it in a foam pit/resi before going to dirt, but I’m wondering if any of you have experience with this and have any pointers. I’m thinking about sending it next season.
Cheers!

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 7:41 Quote
Not a pro at all at doing backflip on a bike, but the few time I tried it in a foam pit, I found that all the difficulty was to" forgot" the way you do it on skis. I think the concept is to lean back, keep looking back and keep a tucked position and avoid at all cost the "banana position" where you bring the bars close to your hip.

photo

good tucked position

photo

banana, try to avoid

FL
Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 12:41 Quote
dank-caser wrote:
My advice is To look back off the lip and pull the bars to your chest and keep looking back till you see the landing and open up on your first few.
once you get comfortable you'll find you push into the takeoff with your legs and looking back instead of pulling the bars. Its trial and error learning them.
once you get flipping with your legs down you dont even need to look back to spin.
15efaklaris wrote:
Cheers!

Thanks for the input. So when you do a solid, controlled backflip do you still try to spot your landing immediately after takeoff? On skis id generally lean back and look slightly upward, wait for my body/chest to meet that point of gaze, and then look back and spot my landing. i guess if you picture a backflip motion as a circle from the side (with 0 degrees being at the lowest point of the circle as if standing upright), id take off looking at like 110-125 degrees, allow my body to reach that point, then look all the way back to spot the landing/finish the flip. The look back immediately thing makes sense to me if youre trying to get it around asap off a smaller jump, but i feel like it's be really easy to over-rotate on a bigger jump. I guess its something you figure out with practice lol

FL
Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 12:43 Quote
jurassicrider wrote:
Not a pro at all at doing backflip on a bike, but the few time I tried it in a foam pit, I found that all the difficulty was to" forgot" the way you do it on skis. I think the concept is to lean back, keep looking back and keep a tucked position and avoid at all cost the "banana position" where you bring the bars close to your hip.

photo

good tucked position

photo

banana, try to avoid
Those visuals definitely help. The banana thing is definitely something i want to avoid at all costs haha. The biggest thing for me will be figuring out how weight properly and keep my feet on the pedals.

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 10:13 Quote
15efaklaris wrote:
dank-caser wrote:
15efaklaris wrote:
Cheers!

Thanks for the input. So when you do a solid, controlled backflip do you still try to spot your landing immediately after takeoff? On skis id generally lean back and look slightly upward, wait for my body/chest to meet that point of gaze, and then look back and spot my landing. i guess if you picture a backflip motion as a circle from the side (with 0 degrees being at the lowest point of the circle as if standing upright), id take off looking at like 110-125 degrees, allow my body to reach that point, then look all the way back to spot the landing/finish the flip. The look back immediately thing makes sense to me if youre trying to get it around asap off a smaller jump, but i feel like it's be really easy to over-rotate on a bigger jump. I guess its something you figure out with practice lol
When i do flips on bigger jumps i look at my bars till im upside down and then i snap my head back to speed it up. you have alot more control doing it that way. Looking back off instantly is only ideal for mini flips. so its similar to how you do it on skis

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMuaZZtBYAy/
check these slow mos of me doing it. you can see how i compress into the lip and look back halfway around

Heres my first flips to dirt for comparison. had alot less control and just yanked back
https://www.instagram.com/p/CIVyTSjBiL9/

Hope the vids help

FL
Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 11:36 Quote
First vid looked spot on man, so sick. I totally hear what you’re saying, that’s super similar to skiing as far as head motion. Thanks again

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 15:56 Quote
It’s all trial and error really if u can find a mulch, snow, foam or resi it’s super easy. I learnt my first flips into snow and after a while u figure it out. The first flip is hard but once u get the first crash out of the way they’re pretty easy. Once u land one keep doing them until they’re consistent

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009768
Mobile Version of Website