Headset angle adapters

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Headset angle adapters
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 14:09 Quote
I tried searching but didn't find this topic... Given the direction XC bikes are going with geo and travel, I feel my yeti asr-c is still very relevant. 2 questions about putting headset angle adapters on a 69.5deg HTA rig:

At what point would the bike feel like a completely different bike? -1? -1.5? -2.0?

Besides the geo and handling changes, from a mechanic's perspective, are there other considerations to think about when making a bike's front end less steep?

any thoughts/opinions appreciated

JC

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 2:26 Quote
I've just put a Works -2 headset into my FlareMax. Admittedly I've not ridden it in anger yet but it definitely feels different just sitting on it. I suppose how different it feels will be entirely dependent on user, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to notice a 1⁰ difference so went big with 2.

As a mechanic, the only consideration was making sure it went in perfectly straight, which frankly was a pain in the arse. Once fitted, it feels like any other headset

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 16:46 Quote
Thanks @TimMog for sharing.

When you say "straight", do you mean vertical alignment btwn the top and lower parts? I was thinking of shooting a laser but that implies getting BOTH the bike and laser perfectly vertical, which may be trivial, but that's why I ask this knowledgebase.

As an aside, any particular reason you opted for Works Components vs, say, 9point8 or Wolf Tooth?

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 23:45 Quote
jcrr wrote:
Thanks @TimMog for sharing.

When you say "straight", do you mean vertical alignment btwn the top and lower parts? I was thinking of shooting a laser but that implies getting BOTH the bike and laser perfectly vertical, which may be trivial, but that's why I ask this knowledgebase.

As an aside, any particular reason you opted for Works Components vs, say, 9point8 or Wolf Tooth?

Exactly, alignment of the cups with the headtube, AND each other. It's not until you need a headset to go in perfectly aligned with two points do you realise how f*cking easy it is to install a regular headset!

I went with Works as they seemed to be given the thumbs up by other Cotic owners and staff, plus I was able to get it at trade cost

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005481
Mobile Version of Website