Buy or Build Dirt Jump for Kids

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Buy or Build Dirt Jump for Kids
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 15:53 Quote
I want to build a couple of Dirt Jump bikes for the kids (13 yo boys), but am finding it difficult to source all of the parts online. I want to keep the budget to below AUD$1000 per bike. Am I better just to buy pre-built bikes like the Norco Ryde 26 or Mongoose Fireball Moto? It would be great if I could get some advice on where to source (compatible) parts or recommendations on a good pre-built. I have built a few road and track bikes in the past, but not MTB bikes, so it would also be helpful if someone can steer me to a resource for what standards are used for wheel axle sizes/styles and BB types, so I can make sure I am getting parts that will fit together. One last thing, one of my kids is a bit smaller, so I was wondering if there are any good 24" dirt bikes or builds/frames, that could be a good option.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 14:23 Quote
PrehistoricGeek wrote:
I want to build a couple of Dirt Jump bikes for the kids (13 yo boys), but am finding it difficult to source all of the parts online. I want to keep the budget to below AUD$1000 per bike. Am I better just to buy pre-built bikes like the Norco Ryde 26 or Mongoose Fireball Moto? It would be great if I could get some advice on where to source (compatible) parts or recommendations on a good pre-built. I have built a few road and track bikes in the past, but not MTB bikes, so it would also be helpful if someone can steer me to a resource for what standards are used for wheel axle sizes/styles and BB types, so I can make sure I am getting parts that will fit together. One last thing, one of my kids is a bit smaller, so I was wondering if there are any good 24" dirt bikes or builds/frames, that could be a good option.

Buying a good-brand complete bike is always a better deal than trying to build a bike up from frame fork and parts. And an even better deal is buying a lightly used bike. At age 13, they are probably, what around 5'3"-5'6" (1.6m)?

Here is a good listing of bikes:
https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/category/Bikes,3/riding_type/dirt_jump_slopestyle

I would recommend NS BIKES, CANYON, COMENCAL, NORCO, any of those in that chart.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004869
Mobile Version of Website