Trek Remedy vs Transition Scout

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trek Remedy vs Transition Scout
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 2, 2021 at 21:00 Quote
I'm in the market for a new bike and down to two models: Trek Remedy 8 and Transition Scout NX Alloy

Anyone have any experience riding either, or both, of these bikes? Any thoughts?

Here are some of the basic specs:
Frame: Remedy 8 / Scout NX Alloy
Fork: RockShox Lyrik Select+ (160mm) / Fox Float 36 Rythm (150mm)
Shock: RockShox Super Deluxe Select+ (150mm) / Fox Float X Performance (140mm)
Groupset: SRAM GX / SRAM NX
MSRP: $4,099 / $3,899

Side by side specs and geo here:
https://99spokes.com/compare?bikes=trek-remedy-8-2021;*z.LG%20Low|w.27.5,transition-scout-alloy-nx-2022;*z.LG|w.27.5

I would love to test ride both, unfortunately it's difficult to demo anything these days. Thanks in advance!

Posted: Oct 6, 2021 at 8:43 Quote
Bump. Anyone have any thoughts on these two bikes? Thanks!

Posted: Oct 6, 2021 at 13:03 Quote
Dunno much about the trek, but my buddy with a (carbon) scout claims it’s the most playful bike he’s had. The 210 post means you can drop the seat so far that it almost feels like a dj bike with the seat all the way down. They look like they have a compatible spec, aside from the trek having a gx drivetrain (which isn’t a small thing).

Oh and the transition is apparently 3 pounds heavier and has a head tube angle 1.5 degrees slacker (65.6 v 64).

Posted: Oct 6, 2021 at 15:48 Quote
I have no bad things to say about either. I have a 2017 Remedy 8 and upgraded to a Lyrik Ultimate 160mm in the front, so it's very similar to the current model. It's a great do-it-all bike, and I've used it on long XC-type rides, shuttles in Downieville, and at the bike park.

My friend has a 2018 Scout GX and absolutely loves it. Another riding buddy has the Sentinel and also loves it. I really don't think you can go wrong with either, but the Lyrik up front on the Remedy I think tips the scales in its favor.

Posted: Oct 7, 2021 at 8:05 Quote
Dragonfly- wrote:
Dunno much about the trek, but my buddy with a (carbon) scout claims it’s the most playful bike he’s had. The 210 post means you can drop the seat so far that it almost feels like a dj bike with the seat all the way down. They look like they have a compatible spec, aside from the trek having a gx drivetrain (which isn’t a small thing).

Oh and the transition is apparently 3 pounds heavier and has a head tube angle 1.5 degrees slacker (65.6 v 64).

Yeah, I'm wondering about the difference between NX and GX and if I would even notice it.

I haven't really ridden a modern geo bike on the trail yet (my current is from 2014). I added my current bike measurements to the 99 Spokes comparison with the other bikes. It looks like both the Remedy and Scout are much longer and slacker (who woulda thought!), even though they are both 27.5 vs my current 29.
[https://99spokes.com/compare?bikes=trek-remedy-8-2021;*z.LG%20Low|w.27.5,transition-scout-alloy-nx-2022;*z.LG|w.27.5,$My%20Bike;*z.Custom|w.29|s.607|r.426|st.440|sa.74|ht.100|ha.68|bb.35|cs.446|wb.1135]

benuntu wrote:
I have no bad things to say about either. I have a 2017 Remedy 8 and upgraded to a Lyrik Ultimate 160mm in the front, so it's very similar to the current model. It's a great do-it-all bike, and I've used it on long XC-type rides, shuttles in Downieville, and at the bike park.

My friend has a 2018 Scout GX and absolutely loves it. Another riding buddy has the Sentinel and also loves it. I really don't think you can go wrong with either, but the Lyrik up front on the Remedy I think tips the scales in its favor.

Good point about the Lyrik. I don't see much about the Fox Rythm, maybe since it's an oem only fork? So I guess the biggest things are the suspension and also the drivetrain. I also noticed the Scout has a threaded bb vs the pressfit on the Remedy. I've never had bb issues, but I've read that threaded is a good thing? Idk.

Posted: Oct 7, 2021 at 8:21 Quote
pshindig wrote:
benuntu wrote:

Good point about the Lyrik. I don't see much about the Fox Rythm, maybe since it's an oem only fork? So I guess the biggest things are the suspension and also the drivetrain. I also noticed the Scout has a threaded bb vs the pressfit on the Remedy. I've never had bb issues, but I've read that threaded is a good thing? Idk.

Never had any issues with the pressfit on my 2017 Remedy, but it is a bit more of a pain to swap out. I fashioned myself a bearing press from some carriage bolts and big washers but it wasn't as simple as turning a BB wrench. Fingers crossed Trek moves to threaded like they've done on the new Slash.

Posted: Oct 8, 2021 at 9:53 Quote
Where do you live and what sort of trails do you ride?

The main difference is the geometry of the frame. The scout is a long bike with a slack headtube angle and steep seat tube angle. The remedy is a compact bike, with a more moderate headtube and seat tube angle. The scout will be more comfortable on steep climbs and have more confidence going downhill fast.

I haven't spent much time on a remedy but I did own the carbon scout for a while (favorite bike I've had except I'm not a 27.5 guy so on to new things). The scout is really good if you are riding actual mountains (AKA pedaling up steep hills and ripping back down) or in a bike park.

The remedy is probably more balanced for flatter or rollier bits. However, honestly if that is your situation, I wouldn't be looking at bigger 27.5 bikes at all. I'd get a shorter travel 29 with good geo (Ibis Ripley, SC Tallboy, Specialized Stumpjumper). Unless you ride a size S or XS, then I'd get a 27.5

So I'm pretty firmly in the scout camp if you're dead set on 27.5.

Posted: Oct 8, 2021 at 15:13 Quote
Kruton wrote:
Where do you live and what sort of trails do you ride?

The main difference is the geometry of the frame. The scout is a long bike with a slack headtube angle and steep seat tube angle. The remedy is a compact bike, with a more moderate headtube and seat tube angle. The scout will be more comfortable on steep climbs and have more confidence going downhill fast.

I haven't spent much time on a remedy but I did own the carbon scout for a while (favorite bike I've had except I'm not a 27.5 guy so on to new things). The scout is really good if you are riding actual mountains (AKA pedaling up steep hills and ripping back down) or in a bike park.

The remedy is probably more balanced for flatter or rollier bits. However, honestly if that is your situation, I wouldn't be looking at bigger 27.5 bikes at all. I'd get a shorter travel 29 with good geo (Ibis Ripley, SC Tallboy, Specialized Stumpjumper). Unless you ride a size S or XS, then I'd get a 27.5

So I'm pretty firmly in the scout camp if you're dead set on 27.5.

I live in western Washington, in Tacoma. I've been riding more mtb specific trails with some moderate tech and some medium drops and jumps-- stereotypical pnw stuff I guess. I'm looking to upgrade from an outdated 29" 120mm trail/xc bike from 2014 that doesn't feel very well suited for the types of trails here (I recently relocated from northern AZ-- Flagstaff/Sedona).

I'm hoping to get something a little more in the nimble/playful category. I've been having fun trying out some jumps recently, but my bike is not very confidence inspiring. I'm hoping for something a little more agile, but could also hold it's own in some faster root sections. My current bike has always felt a little tough for me to maneuver, so I'm curious about trying a 27.5 setup. On the other hand, the Scout and Remedy are both considerably longer in wheelbase than my current.

Fwiw, I'm 5'11" and about 165-170 lbs. What size are you and what size was your Scout?

Posted: Oct 8, 2021 at 15:31 Quote
I’m 5’11 and I ride a size large. I wouldn’t want to downsize at all.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006108
Mobile Version of Website