Mixing Shimano BR-MT420 with BL-M7100 SLX lever or BL-M675 Lever

PB Forum :: Shimano
Mixing Shimano BR-MT420 with BL-M7100 SLX lever or BL-M675 Lever
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 4, 2021 at 18:33 Quote
Does any one knows if it is possible to mix the MT420 Calipers (4 pots) with one of this levers (BL M675 or M7100 Levers)?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Jose

Posted: Oct 5, 2021 at 1:49 Quote
I've mixed M7000 levers with 2 pot M7100 calipers and all works fine. You can use either lever even with 4 pot calipers and all use BH90 hoses.

I suggest putting on some new insert and olive hose fittings just to make sure you don't chance getting any leaks at the lever connection.

Which one you decide to use doesn't matter, except for the different i-spec brake/shifter mount standards between the M675 and M7100 levers if it's relevant to your cockpit set up.

Posted: Oct 5, 2021 at 6:31 Quote
Reaperactual wrote:
I've mixed M7000 levers with 2 pot M7100 calipers and all works fine. You can use either lever even with 4 pot calipers and all use BH90 hoses.

I suggest putting on some new insert and olive hose fittings just to make sure you don't chance getting any leaks at the lever connection.

Which one you decide to use doesn't matter, except for the different i-spec brake/shifter mount standards between the M675 and M7100 levers if it's relevant to your cockpit set up.

Thanks for your quick reply. I have just bought a new bike that came with the BR-MT420 calipers and i feel a good break power. However i don't like the brake levers, so i was wondering if i could buy the MT7100(7120) brake levers and use them with those calipers (trying to expense less).

Posted: Oct 5, 2021 at 8:27 Quote
Rucaryl wrote:
Reaperactual wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply. I have just bought a new bike that came with the BR-MT420 calipers and i feel a good break power. However i don't like the brake levers, so i was wondering if i could buy the MT7100(7120) brake levers and use them with those calipers (trying to expense less).

No worries. A little confusing but I guess where your from there might be slightly different model numbers as some MT_ _ _ _ *(T for trekking) levers are different in the U.K.

Anyway yes you could use M7100 levers with your calipers. There is no difference in levers whether they are used with 2 or 4 pot calipers.

Worth the money and a good upgrade imo as you will benefit from servowave lever action, etc. for better feel and modulation. All will go together nicely and perform well.

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 9:58 Quote
Reaperactual wrote:
Rucaryl wrote:
Reaperactual wrote:

No worries. A little confusing but I guess where your from there might be slightly different model numbers as some MT_ _ _ _ *(T for trekking) levers are different in the U.K.

Anyway yes you could use M7100 levers with your calipers. There is no difference in levers whether they are used with 2 or 4 pot calipers.

Worth the money and a good upgrade imo as you will benefit from servowave lever action, etc. for better feel and modulation. All will go together nicely and perform well.

Thank you very much!!!!! I will go with the M7100 Levers

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 11:30 Quote
No worries, you're welcome. Enjoy your new upgraded brake set up! Beer

Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 9:05 Quote
Reaperactual wrote:

Hello, just wanted to share with you that the after 3 months of using the upgrade, they worked just fine and how i was expecting. Thank you for the advise.
I also wanted to know if you think the upgrade from the BR-MT420 to the BR-M7120 (SLX) is worth it.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 9:59 Quote
Rucaryl wrote:
Reaperactual wrote:

Hello, just wanted to share with you that the after 3 months of using the upgrade, they worked just fine and how i was expecting. Thank you for the advise.
I also wanted to know if you think the upgrade from the BR-MT420 to the BR-M7120 (SLX) is worth it.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Great! Glad it worked out and you like the performance upgrade @Rucaryl. Salute

In the last month or so I've upgraded both my calipers to the SLX M7120 4 pot versions. Really happy I did but only chose them so all the components on my mtb is matching SLX stuff.

You won't gain any more braking power compared to your M420's.

You would gain Icetech compatible calipers with ceramic pistons and finned (N03A, N03C) pad compatibility.

Aesthetically the SLX's will have a banjo instead of a straight hose connection, pad retaining pins instead of split pins and a repositioned bleed nipple for the one way bleed system for (so called) improved bleed results.

Icetech is fine but to get the full benefit (as intended) of cooling with less chance of brake fade you'd be better off going all the way with the finned pads and Icetech rotors otherwise it wouldn't be worth it imo.

I personally don't require that cooling aspect so run non finned sintered pads and standard 203mm front and 180mm rear RT66 rotors. tup

Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 11:22 Quote
Hello Reaperactual,
Thank you very much for your feedback. I think i will keep my calipers, thery are working just fine.!!!! Much Appreciated!!!

Reaperactual wrote:
Rucaryl wrote:
Reaperactual wrote:

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Great! Glad it worked out and you like the performance upgrade @Rucaryl. Salute

In the last month or so I've upgraded both my calipers to the SLX M7120 4 pot versions. Really happy I did but only chose them so all the components on my mtb is matching SLX stuff.

You won't gain any more braking power compared to your M420's.

You would gain Icetech compatible calipers with ceramic pistons and finned (N03A, N03C) pad compatibility.

Aesthetically the SLX's will have a banjo instead of a straight hose connection, pad retaining pins instead of split pins and a repositioned bleed nipple for the one way bleed system for (so called) improved bleed results.

Icetech is fine but to get the full benefit (as intended) of cooling with less chance of brake fade you'd be better off going all the way with the finned pads and Icetech rotors otherwise it wouldn't be worth it imo.

I personally don't require that cooling aspect so run non finned sintered pads and standard 203mm front and 180mm rear RT66 rotors. tup

Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 22:47 Quote
[Quote="Rucaryl"]Hello Reaperactual,
Thank you very much for your feedback. I think i will keep my calipers, thery are working just fine.!!!! Much Appreciated!!!

Hey no worries, my pleasure Buddy.

I think you've made the right decision to keep what you have.

Even though I don't utilise that side of the SLX's I'm sure Icetech is a good thing for certain applications, terrain, riding styles, etc. but for most riders it's not necessary.

Happy trails Rucaryl! Beer

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2022 at 7:41 Quote
Hm, are the MT420's not ceramic pistons? I know my unbranded MT520's are (cracked one pushing pistons back in for a brake pad change).

As for the finned pads, if you can track down a set of used up pads from a friend, you can play around with getting them to fit - I've heard that you might have to grind off part of one or two of the fins to make them work. In my case I got a set of partly used H03Cs from a friend to tide me over while my pad order came in and they fit no problem (no mods) with my MT520s.

edit: ok, nevermind, the MT420's are a resin piston, that's the upgrade on the MT520's (ceramic pistons).

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010465
Mobile Version of Website