2022 Fox Float X

PB Forum :: Fox Racing Shox
2022 Fox Float X
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 10, 2021 at 18:43 Quote
I just got the new Niner Jet 9 last week and have two rides on it. Everything seems great so far with the exception of a click I cannot seem to get rid of. It happens on the topout of the shock. I have isolated it to either the pivots or the shock.

At the link below you can find a video of me sitting on the bike, standing up and pulling up on the frame. This simulates the sound I hear on every topout. I have done this experiment without the front wheel on the ground to ensure it is not the headset. I have also pulled the dropper out to ensure that it is not causing the sound.

What I have done to remedy the issue:
- Lubed all pivot bolts and torqued them to spec
- Greased the rear through axle in case that is what is causing the issue.
- Held the cables while cycling the shock to see if I can feel the tick through them. I could not .
- Backed off the trunnion bolts a turn or two and used hand pressure to cycle the shock (still had the click)
- Backed off the lower shock bolt a turn or two and used hand pressure to cycle the shock (still had the click)
- Backed off every pivot bolt independently and tested to see if the click still occurred (Still had the click)
- Adjusted the rebound, it seems the slower the shock the less it makes the noise
- The last thing I did was pull off the air can and put a small amount of slickoleum on the shaft of the shock with the hope that it would provide some lubrication into the top out circuit. This seemed to help the noise but the top out still sounds a bit odd.

Has anyone heard any issues with the new Float X's that matches this issue? Since I have gone through every pivot bolt on the brand new bike I am fairly confident that it is the topout of the shock.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zrd8JYg7ZYAXhm5y5

Posted: Oct 10, 2021 at 20:39 Quote
Tfinses wrote:
I just got the new Niner Jet 9 last week and have two rides on it. Everything seems great so far with the exception of a click I cannot seem to get rid of. It happens on the topout of the shock. I have isolated it to either the pivots or the shock.

At the link below you can find a video of me sitting on the bike, standing up and pulling up on the frame. This simulates the sound I hear on every topout. I have done this experiment without the front wheel on the ground to ensure it is not the headset. I have also pulled the dropper out to ensure that it is not causing the sound.

- Held the cables while cycling the shock to see if I can feel the tick through them. I could not .
- Backed off the trunnion bolts a turn or two and used hand pressure to cycle the shock (still had the click)
- Backed off the lower shock bolt a turn or two and used hand pressure to cycle the shock (still had the click)
- Backed off every pivot bolt independently and tested to see if the click still occurred (Still had the click)
- Adjusted the rebound, it seems the slower the shock the less it makes the noise
- The last thing I did was pull off the air can and put a small amount of slickoleum on the shaft of the shock with the hope that it would provide some lubrication into the top out circuit. This seemed to help the noise but the top out still sounds a bit odd.

Has anyone heard any issues with the new Float X's that matches this issue? Since I have gone through every pivot bolt on the brand new bike I am fairly confident that it is the topout of the shock.

just remove the shock and cycle the suspension lol

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 3:28 Quote
noideamtber wrote:
Tfinses wrote:

just remove the shock and cycle the suspension lol

I should have included that in the list of what I've done. Suspension is smooth and quiet as can be without the shock.

Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 18:04 Quote
Hi,
I got this shock, but for some reason it lose PSI after a ride. I usually ride with 130 psi, after a long day ride, the shock has 80-70 psi. A service Fox expert told me that it needs service every 50 hours. This is gonna brake my wallet. Any advise? is there any upgrade to solve this problem? I bought the shock 3 months ago Frown

Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 18:21 Quote
It could be seat post clamp or saddle clamps, thats typically where I find strange clicks i think are suspension related. I wanted the new float X but after lots of experience with new vehicles I tend not to buy the first few years of a new product until the manufacturer can iron out the details. It seems like they beta their new tech right away advertising like its good to go, then deal with the issues later after the problems pop up.

Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 22:25 Quote
the float x is really good, i recieved one on a new bike and bought 2 more to replace dpx2's, the bike manfs talk in high regards about the float x.

Posted: Feb 9, 2022 at 11:17 Quote
Nice, glad they are working out. I’m still gonna wait for a bit. OP get the noise sorted?

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 5:38 Quote
zombiejack33 wrote:
Nice, glad they are working out. I’m still gonna wait for a bit. OP get the noise sorted?

I have the click located and it seems to be very dependent on the torque of the trunnion bolts. If I recall correctly the right bolt (while seated on the bike) is the one that is causing trouble. If I torque it to spec it clicks. If I torque it at about half the spec it seems to go away.

The threads have been cleaned and greased several times. I haven't ridden the bike since the fall. Now that the snow is going away I need to get back to looking into the issue and getting it fully resolved.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 5:40 Quote
salavarrieta wrote:
Hi,
I got this shock, but for some reason it lose PSI after a ride. I usually ride with 130 psi, after a long day ride, the shock has 80-70 psi. A service Fox expert told me that it needs service every 50 hours. This is gonna brake my wallet. Any advise? is there any upgrade to solve this problem? I bought the shock 3 months ago Frown

This sounds like a warranty problem. Your shock should not lose that much pressure.

FL
Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 7:20 Quote
salavarrieta wrote:
Hi,

a lot of air shocks state an air can service every 50 hrs.

Buy the seal kit and learn to do it yourself and it's not so bad Smile

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 16:01 Quote
Tfinses wrote:

Did you find a fix for this?

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 20:15 Quote
For all who may be interested…

Just had this exact issue on my new 2022 Transition Sentinel, did everything and could not find it. Turned out to be the shock, there was no grease applied to the threads of the can when it was screwed on to the rest of the shock. Unscrewed it, little bit of suspension grease and no more noise!

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 18:04 Quote
I just bought a 2022 Float X and it has the same issue, super loud clank at top out.
I took the can off and noticed it is a not very tight, I will throw it back together and see if it fixed the issue.

Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 9:01 Quote
Same thing here. The pressures of the combs were not equalized there.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.035478
Mobile Version of Website