No right hand! How to shift?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
No right hand! How to shift?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 10, 2021 at 19:34 Quote
dI'm asking for an acquaintance who lost his right hand in a moto accident a long time ago. He has a stationary prosthetic hand that he uses to ride. He rides with his wife in the city on a cruiser styled e-bike with the rear shifter (grip shift) on the left side. I'm fairly sure that the rear brake lever was switched to the left-hand side as well.

The issue: he would like to do some flatter/mild trail riding and would like an entry-level (ish) hardtail e-bike. It's the shifting and braking that have me stumped here... Any ideas would be appreciated!

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 1:51 Quote
seans wrote:
dI'm asking for an acquaintance who lost his right hand in a moto accident a long time ago. He has a stationary prosthetic hand that he uses to ride. He rides with his wife in the city on a cruiser styled e-bike with the rear shifter (grip shift) on the left side. I'm fairly sure that the rear brake lever was switched to the left-hand side as well.

The issue: he would like to do some flatter/mild trail riding and would like an entry-level (ish) hardtail e-bike. It's the shifting and braking that have me stumped here... Any ideas would be appreciated!

You could use an AXS shifter and flip it around to the left side. Also Hope do a lever which operates both brakes with 1 finger.

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 5:54 Quote
With the risk of sounding stupid: a torpedo brake could help. Don't know if that is the right name though, you know, the kind where you backpedal ever so slightly to brake.
A similar, old fashioned, solution might be possible for the gears: the old timey kind of gearlever that sat on the downtube, much like a stickshift.
I'm probably not much of any help though, all I can suggest is to look into specific bikes that were altered to fit the same issues as your friend has.

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 6:58 Quote
"It's the shifting and braking that have me stumped here..."

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 7:04 Quote
I don't have anything helpful to offer other than I believe there is a Youtuber that uses a prosthetic hand you might be able to gather some help from. I think his name is No Front Brakes?

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 14:18 Quote
Archer components makes a electronic shifter with buttons and a cable pull that attaches to the derailleur, it's cheaper than AXS and can be programed to work with whatever existing derailleur is on the bike.
Hope makes a brake lever called the DUO specifically for one handed people that puts the front and rear brake on the same side using different fingers for each, it's not cheap but probably the best option. Sram and formula both have pretty thin brake lever/reservoir bodies that can be run next to each other on the bars to give two-finger front+rear braking as another option if Hope is out of the budget.

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 15:06 Quote
if they are willing to spend, hope tech 3 duo lever for brakes

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 7:02 Quote
some companys make shift levers for the other side. ive seen a guy with the same problem/setup you describe. he has a kind of cup that fits to the handlebars that his stump slides into.

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 8:27 Quote
You looked at running a twist shift bass ackwards?

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 14:50 Quote
Thanks, everyone! Lots of options here, which is encouraging. I will pass this info along!

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 2:38 Quote
Hope tech for brakes. Archer Components for shifting.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 5:22 Quote
You could also pick up some older Shimano dual-control shifters, where the brake lever also controlled the shifting. The left hand does the 3-speed front derailleur, but there might be a way to set it up to have the left hand do the full 9-speed rear derailleur:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1851153/

Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 19:03 Quote
If your buddy hasn't seen this, it is a super cool prosthetic hand / bar mount. I have worked on a local guy's moto that used one. It's designed by Mert Lawwill, a badass Moto Racer, and bike / moto frame designer, and genuinely great guy.

http://www.mertshands.org

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006244
Mobile Version of Website