Yeti SB150 large frame balancing issues

PB Forum :: Yeti
Yeti SB150 large frame balancing issues
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 21:28 Quote
Hi Pinkbike family,

This is my first post so first of all: welcome everybody.

I ordered my dream bike Yeti SB150 T2 couple days ago. Since then I read more and more reviews/forums... and I'm thinking to return it back. Is that short chainstay in size L and XL really such a big issue, making bicycle hard to balance and almost impossible to get fast through corners? Is aggressive/forward position really a cure or just a workaround? I tend to use on a back wheel due to my current, pretty old setup.

I live in Switzerland, need enduro bicycle for Alp rides + bike parks. Actually I demoed Yeti SB150 L during test day 2 weeks ago and found out that it's easy to wash out the front wheel. The guy from Yeti said that's all about balancing and I need more practice. That day I did the fastest lap on Strava on Megatower M (too small though).

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 0:50 Quote
kubus181818 wrote:
Hi Pinkbike family,

I ordered my dream bike Yeti SB150 T2 couple days ago. Since then I read more and more reviews/forums... and I'm thinking to return it back. Is that short chainstay in size L and XL really such a big issue, making bicycle hard to balance and almost impossible to get fast through corners? Is aggressive/forward position really a cure or just a workaround? I tend to use on a back wheel due to my current, pretty old setup.

I live in Switzerland, need enduro bicycle for Alp rides + bike parks. Actually I demoed Yeti SB150 L during test day 2 weeks ago and found out that it's easy to wash out the front wheel. The guy from Yeti said that's all about balancing and I need more practice. That day I did the fastest lap on Strava on Megatower M (too small though).

Seeing as you are coming from an older geo bike I would definitely spend more time playing with setup before you move on to another bike. Many modern geo bikes require a more forward riding style which takes some practice to get used to. Also while demos are great you won't always get a good setup, and you can drastically change the balance of a bike just from altering the suspension or cockpit setup.

You mention you were faster on a md Megatower, how tall are you? Maybe you are better off on a medium, most sizing charts put me on a xxl's but I almost always prefer xl's. Longer chain stays naturally place more weight on the front, which means you don't have to actively shift your weight as much when cornering. The downside is it is harder lift the front end up

Most importantly don't read too much into reviews/forums

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 6:42 Quote
kubus181818 wrote:
Hi Pinkbike family,

All I can report is my own experience , I'm 175cm and had a SB130 medium, according to the sizing suggestion 175cm is exactly in the middle.. fantastic..

But, on flatter corners I had big trouble getting enough weight over the front wheel.. I realised the short chainstay and long reach /front centre was giving a weight bias towards the back.. I tried riding excessively forward but it never felt natural..

So , I swapped the frame for a Medium SC tallboy ( which has a longer setting for the chainstay and a shorter reach ) and I'm loving it , No weight forward issues at all... plus some strava PBs :-)

h.

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 10:16 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:

Seeing as you are coming from an older geo bike I would definitely spend more time playing with setup before you move on to another bike. Many modern geo bikes require a more forward riding style which takes some practice to get used to. Also while demos are great you won't always get a good setup, and you can drastically change the balance of a bike just from altering the suspension or cockpit setup.

You mention you were faster on a md Megatower, how tall are you? Maybe you are better off on a medium, most sizing charts put me on a xxl's but I almost always prefer xl's. Longer chain stays naturally place more weight on the front, which means you don't have to actively shift your weight as much when cornering. The downside is it is harder lift the front end up

Most importantly don't read too much into reviews/forums

183cm or 6'.

I wouldn't say an older geo bike, currently I have Trek Fuel EX 2019, which is a fun bike but got not enough travel for high mountains. The fact is I've never read anything about weight forward techniques, netiher geo specs. I was just riding a bicycle. Until now. Because enduro bicycles are pretty expensive, I thought that I should invest some time and acquire a knowledge. Now I regret, cause it seems to me that every bicycle I look at got some serious problems:
- Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 -> delivery date unknown, hard to buy in Switzerland
- Specialized Enduro Expert -> I could have one tomorrow, size S4 looks like perfect match, but I read too much about broken frames
- Yeti SB150 T2 -> perfect spec, looks awesome, childhood dream. But the balancing issues freak me out.

Moreover I tested recently SC Nomad (not a big fan of 27.5), Megatower (the bicycle was superb on descent mainly due to too small frame I suppose, moreover it climbs like a pig) and Norco Sight (but it was the cheapest setup thus it's hard to judge...).

hermichut wrote:
All I can report is my own experience , I'm 175cm and had a SB130 medium, according to the sizing suggestion 175cm is exactly in the middle.. fantastic..

But, on flatter corners I had big trouble getting enough weight over the front wheel.. I realised the short chainstay and long reach /front centre was giving a weight bias towards the back.. I tried riding excessively forward but it never felt natural..

So , I swapped the frame for a Medium SC tallboy ( which has a longer setting for the chainstay and a shorter reach ) and I'm loving it , No weight forward issues at all... plus some strava PBs :-)

h.

Yeah, so this is exactly what I'm talking about... I had the same feeling when I was testing Yeti, that weird feeling of driving a car from the back seat. I thought that it can be managed by aggresive position/forward weight, but your experience is opposite.

So yeah, I stuck Smile

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 23:00 Quote
I am 182cm and bought an L size in December.
Had to adapt to the bigger bike and lower my frontend.
Front: Fox 38 170mm, Fatbar 30mm rise, 5mm space under stem.

But now i'm really happy.

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
I ride a medium, and I am 1.75m. I have zero problems with what you and a bunch of reviewers describe. Coming of a orbea rallon I find the yeti easier to corner and have never had front grip issues. I use a 50 mm stem.

In size L the balance front and rear is slightly different, so I would not go shorter than 50 mm stem, but I’m sure the bike will still ride well

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
Thank you all for help, the bike has arrived some days ago, I already did couple rides and PRs and totally love it! I suspected very good downill capabilities, but on uphill it's amazing too.

Regarding washing out issue, yeah it exists, you need to work more and be aggressive, especially in tight corners, but it's managable and after some warming up period, super fun. Obviously it's a long bicycle, so it's netiher nimble nor very agile. I will lower the stem as suggested by "its-all-about-bikes".

For me the only disadvantage is that it doesn't like to go slow. Really, it's just this weird feeling that there is so much reserve that you need to keep pushing. It's a dangerous bike in that sense, I need to upgrade my personal protection.

Cheers,
Jakub

Previous Page | Next Page

Active Forum Threads
2 mins ago - Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
4 mins ago - Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
11 mins ago - YT Jeffsy 29 Thread
15 mins ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"
19 mins ago - HOW TO GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK {☎} +27735257866 in South Africa,UK,USA,Spain,Sweden,Canada,UAE,Malta,Brunei,Japan
21 mins ago - Love Spells Which Manifests In 24 hours {☎} +27735257866 in South Africa,UK,USA,Spain,Sweden,Canada,UAE,Malta,Brunei
22 mins ago - Tallboy v4 Lower link
23 mins ago - Best Online Love Spell Caster to get your Ex Lover +27735257866 in South Africa,UK,USA,Spain,Sweden,Canada,UAE,Malta
23 mins ago - Strong And Powerful Love Spell To Win Your Ex Back +27735257866 in South Africa,UK,USA,Spain,Sweden,Canada,UAE,Malta
25 mins ago - Money Rituals That Really Work +27735257866 in South Africa,USA,UK,Canada,Lesotho,Zambia,Zimbabwe,UAE
26 mins ago - Most Effective Money Spells to Get Rich in South Africa +27735257866 USA,UK,Canada,Lesotho,Zambia,Zimbabwe (BMX)
28 mins ago - High Quality SSD Solution for Cleaning Black Money in South Africa +27735257866 Zambia,Zimbabwe,Botswana,Lesotho
33 mins ago - Crank question…need a little help
34 mins ago - The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
37 mins ago - SSD Chemical for Defaced Notes in South Africa +27735257866 Zambia,Zimbabwe,Botswana,Lesotho,Swaziland,Kenya
38 mins ago - Ssd Super Automatic Solution in South Africa +27735257866 Zambia,Zimbabwe,Botswana,Lesotho,Swaziland
40 mins ago - DX-1 SSD Solution and Activation Powder in South Africa +27735257866 Zambia,Zimbabwe,Botswana,Lesotho
41 mins ago - Black Money Cleaning SSD Chemicals suppliers +27735257866 in South Africa,Zambia,Zimbabwe,Botswana
41 mins ago - Trek Slash 2021 ?
42 mins ago - Burnaby Biking
1 hours ago - All Things Meta 29er!
1 hours ago - Osta gamma-butyrolaktoni GBL verkossa, Osta fenyyliasetoni verkosta, (BMX)
1 hours ago - Kjøp gamma-butyrolakton GBL online, kjøp fenylaceton online, kjøp GBL online, (BMX)
1 hours ago - Cumpărați gamma butirolactonă GBL online, Cumpărați fenilacetonă online, (BMX)
1 hours ago - Køb gamma butyrolacton GBL online, Køb Phenylacetone online, Køb GBL online, (BMX)

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005578
Mobile Version of Website