Lights for night riding

Previous Page |
Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 6:44 Quote
With the nights closing in and me moving to an area where I can ride from the door, I will be more inclined to do some night riding.

I bought some eBay special Cree lights a couple of years back and whilst they are ok, I am interested in what lights you all use and what you would recommend (both helmet and bar).

I'm not interested in spending an extortionate amount of money on something like Exposure lights etc, but there must be good quality lights out there for a reasonable price.

I've read all the reviews but I think recommendations off here are more reliable!

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 11:50 Quote
I would recommend Glow Worm lights. Good quality units and work well.

I run a GW X2 on my helmet with the small battery attached to the back. They come with Velcro type straps but I have a POC Tectal race helmet and this has a handy rubber ring that is used to hold goggles which also works perfect to hold the battery.

On the bars I run a GW XSV which mounts securely to the bar with a clamp. Again battery strapped to the frame.

I run a head and bar light. If your going to run only one, get a head mount. Your bars aren't always pointing in the same direction as your head.

They do look very similar to most of the eBay specials you can get but the difference being is build quality and features. Batteries have charge indicators on them, lights come with interchangeable lenses to fine tune the light spread and lots of mounting options that are all secure. Lots of eBay mounts are rubber and the lights move whilst riding.

I have the last generation lights. They have just released some newer versions which look even better.

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 12:07 Quote
Lezyne lights are extremely popular where I am. Couldn't tell you if they're the best around, but they're priced fair and easily available at local shops. My 1300XXL does me well, though something brighter might not hurt if your trails are fast. My area is lower speed tech and 1300lumens on my bars and 450 on my helmet is adequate. Much less light will be needed once there's snow on the ground.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 0:13 Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. Those Glow worm lights look pretty good, albeit a bit pricey, but I suppose you get what you pay for with things like this and they do look quite compact and well designed.

Regarding the lezyne ones, will have a look. Depends what you mean about fast. What sort of speeds before you feel like you need something more?

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 4:20 Quote
Davec85 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Those Glow worm lights look pretty good, albeit a bit pricey, but I suppose you get what you pay for with things like this and they do look quite compact and well designed.

Regarding the lezyne ones, will have a look. Depends what you mean about fast. What sort of speeds before you feel like you need something more?

I wouldn't be able to give you any kind of firm answer, but on my steep and techy local trails my strava top speeds are usually around the 30km/hr mark on a typical ride, and areas where that's possible are few and far between. My 1300/450 lumen combo is adequate, though more couldn't be a bad thing. If you have higher speed flow trails I could see wanting more lumens to see further ahead.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 4:49 Quote
I run Gemini lights, Olympia on the helmet and a Duo on the bar. Both sync to the same remote on the bar. Great battery life and various brightness settings through the remote. This is my 4th year on this combo, and they still function as new.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 10:04 Quote
picked up a number of used Hope lights of Ebay for good prices,
shop for this stuff around summer time, your prime time now
is gonna potentially cost yah

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 21:11 Quote
run what your buddies run, then you can potentially have a backup.

i like my nightriders and usually run with 2-3

1 900 on the head
2 650 on the bars

can be found for $50 or less and just accumulate a few over a couple years

gives me options, plus if you break one your not out a ton.

i ride mostly at night

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 13:43 Quote
I've been using the niterider lumina boost 900 on my bars, and a niterider micro850 with k-edge adapter and go-pro mount on my helmet.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 19:29 Quote
Davec85 wrote:

I would suggest buying lights that have the highest output you can afford. That way you have less of a chance of feeling like you run out of light. Also recommend something with lenses you can change as it’s good to have a mix of diffused and spotted light.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 5:49 Quote
Thanks all for the suggestions, it's a minefield out there, so many different brands, types etc it's difficult to know what to get.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 7:53 Quote
Another niterider lumina user here. I have a lumina 1200 boost on the helmet with an 1800 on the bars. Like the niteriders as they are self contained and have decent output and spread. Only crank up the lumens when descending, otherwise am in medium.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 20:00 Quote
I have 2 Niterider 750's that have worked fairly well, but they create a bit of a balance issue for me using together as they create combatting shadows when using one on the bars and one on my helmet. They are too pointed, round throw. One is not enough.

My friend has the Outbound lighting Trail Edition and I will be picking one up for my bars. Research it. Damn good light.

https://www.outboundlighting.com/products/trail-edition#judgeme_product_reviews

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 1:28 Quote
Niterider Enduro 4200 and 2200.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 4:06 Quote
gmoss wrote:
I have 2 Niterider 750's that have worked fairly well, but they create a bit of a balance issue for me using together as they create combatting shadows when using one on the bars and one on my helmet. They are too pointed, round throw. One is not enough.

My friend has the Outbound lighting Trail Edition and I will be picking one up for my bars. Research it. Damn good light.

https://www.outboundlighting.com/products/trail-edition#judgeme_product_reviews

They look really good. Quite expensive shipping and taxes to UK though, but these are top of my list based on what I have seen so far.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005860
Mobile Version of Website