close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Lights for night riding

Author Message
Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 8:37 Quote
csvetich wrote:
run what your buddies run, then you can potentially have a backup.

i like my nightriders and usually run with 2-3

1 900 on the head
2 650 on the bars

can be found for $50 or less and just accumulate a few over a couple years

gives me options, plus if you break one your not out a ton.

i ride mostly at night

Do you feel like you have enough light with this setup? I've been thinking about trying some night riding. I have two Lumina 650's already for mine and my wife's commuter bikes. Been thinking about using both of those and getting a light for my helmet too. How do you mount your 900 on your helmet?

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 1:32 Quote
I have an exposure axis or something that was nearly half price on crc. Keep your eyes peeled.

A couple of mates run the moon meteor storm pros which seem really good for the money. I've been eying up some magicshine rn 3000 to replace my eBay Cree lights for my bars.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 1:57 Quote
Dartmoor365 wrote:
I have an exposure axis or something that was nearly half price on crc. Keep your eyes peeled.

A couple of mates run the moon meteor storm pros which seem really good for the money. I've been eying up some magicshine rn 3000 to replace my eBay Cree lights for my bars.

Yeah, been looking at the Magicshine RN3000 for the bars, with the Allty for my helmet. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet. They seem really good value, just not sure if the RN3000 will be bright enough?

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 3:48 Quote
I just picked up 3 RN 1500's. Two on the bars, one on the helmet. I was considering an RN 3000, but doubling up on the 1500's instead gives me some redundancy.

Really happy with the lights. Colour and beam are way better than what I was using before. Medium power is bright enough that I can ride for 3+ hours if I want.

Only downside, a 1500 lumen self contained light is about as big as you'd want to put on your helmet.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 5:36 Quote
Davec85 wrote:
Dartmoor365 wrote:
I have an exposure axis or something that was nearly half price on crc. Keep your eyes peeled.

A couple of mates run the moon meteor storm pros which seem really good for the money. I've been eying up some magicshine rn 3000 to replace my eBay Cree lights for my bars.

Yeah, been looking at the Magicshine RN3000 for the bars, with the Allty for my helmet. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet. They seem really good value, just not sure if the RN3000 will be bright enough?

Brightness is not the most important aspect. Throw, projection are just as important. Main reason I am going to spend a little more on the Outbound.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 7:14 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Davec85 wrote:
Dartmoor365 wrote:
I have an exposure axis or something that was nearly half price on crc. Keep your eyes peeled.

A couple of mates run the moon meteor storm pros which seem really good for the money. I've been eying up some magicshine rn 3000 to replace my eBay Cree lights for my bars.

Yeah, been looking at the Magicshine RN3000 for the bars, with the Allty for my helmet. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet. They seem really good value, just not sure if the RN3000 will be bright enough?

Brightness is not the most important aspect. Throw, projection are just as important. Main reason I am going to spend a little more on the Outbound.

Yeah, I really like the look of the outbound lights but the taxes for import to the UK are quite expensive.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 7:51 Quote
Davec85 wrote:
Yeah, I really like the look of the outbound lights but the taxes for import to the UK are quite expensive.

I just made a point about exactly this just the other day:

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=232546&pagenum=1#commentid7053571

Is it really expensive if you'll be happy once you get it, install it, and then use it with 5 star comments? Big Grin

Being part of pb forums implies being involved in this "expensive" religion.

Never be ashamed at how much you spend on your bikes. You can skip silly essentials like food for a few days if it will balance out the budget.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 8:12 Quote
Gotcha. Something that takes consideration, for sure.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 23:34 Quote
If you’re UK based you can’t go wrong with Exposure lights.

Work as advertised and good warranty support when needed in my experience.

Joystick helmet light and a Diablo on the bars will be all the light you ever need.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 0:11 Quote
Exposure Lights every time.
Self contained, utterly bomb proof. You get what you pay for.

I have been using one of the Strada Mk1s on my commuting bike for about 12 years now. Okay the battery life is slightly less but it is still plenty running 4 hours with some in hand on a mix or low an high power.
I also use an Axis on the bars for a really dark bit of my commute (old railway line with no lighting) and on my helmet when off-road. For a small light the amount of light is insane plus I like the "Tap" control on the helmet.

For the MTB I have a Max-D that is about 5 years old, again it is faultless.

I like the design with no external battery packs and unnecessary wires trailing around. There are booster batteries and you can get a remote switch (the Strada came with this as standard)

Yes, you can get some with extra run time or more lumens but to be honest, it becomes a willy-waving exercise.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 11:04 Quote
Most of us around my area are using Magicshine 6500 or 8000 on the handlebar only. We do not run alot of jumptrails in the dark as that would be terrible without a helmet light. We stick to the trails we usually run during lighter hours.

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 7:33 Quote
I think Outbound and Light & Motion are tops. I had 2 (out of 3) Niterider 650 micros's stop working within 2 years. They fixed one...

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 7:44 Quote
I've used Niteriders for years and never had any issues. Recommend the simple, rechargeable ones. I'm not a fan of little LED displays showing battery life, power, etc on a headlamp. Seems unnecessary and just one more thing to break.

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 9:40 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
I've used Niteriders for years and never had any issues. Recommend the simple, rechargeable ones. I'm not a fan of little LED displays showing battery life, power, etc on a headlamp. Seems unnecessary and just one more thing to break.


Mine are all night rider micro 650s. So maybe they just have an issue with that specific model

Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 7:45 Quote
dieskim wrote:
I run Gemini lights, Olympia on the helmet and a Duo on the bar. Both sync to the same remote on the bar. Great battery life and various brightness settings through the remote. This is my 4th year on this combo, and they still function as new.

Have you had any issues with the remote and syncing? Mine were working fine when I headed out for my evening ride. About halfway through they stopped working and I had to use the button on the lights. I think it didn't like the cold but I am unsure. Interested if you have had any similar experiences.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006275
Mobile Version of Website