Kona Hei Hei Al 2022

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Hei Hei Al 2022
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 19:27 Quote
Does anyone have experience with the last couple versions of the Kona Hei Hei? Particularly the aluminum version with 100/120mm travel back/front from model years 2020 & 2021. I can't find any solid reviews on the more recent aluminum version of this bike. There was a decent geometry update and parts upgrade from the 2019 model, but input from older users would still be helpful.

I'm looking at ordering a 2022 Kona Hei Hei to compliment a 33lbs, 130/150mm Devinci trail bike I already have and sell my hardtail. Riding the hardtail fast on single track is just too rough on my back and joints even on some relatively mellow trails. I've really been enjoying longer cross-country rides this year of 3-6 hours (40-100 km) and when I use the trail bike I'm way less efficient and when I use the hardtail I'm beat up. I think the Hei Hei will be a good compliment to the Devinci for longer, faster, less demanding rides. Let me know if you think I'm ridiculous for buying 2 full suspension bikes or if this makes sense for a 45 year old who only started mountain biking 5 years ago but is now completely hooked on the sport.

I posted this in the XC, trail & AM forum, but it might be more appropriate here.

Jay

Posted: Nov 24, 2022 at 11:52 Quote
Hey Jay,

I have the 2019 Hei Hei AL. Got it on closeout from Sweet Petes in late summer 2019 just before the market got crazy and I subsequently waited months for a gravel bike. It has the same suspension and frame geo as the '20 and '21 so I think I can help you.

Prefacing that this bike is my first full suspension bike so I might have some bias there. I was an XC rider on a coil 100 mm entry-level hardtail before the upgrade.

I am still on paper an XC rider and I have raced the Kona in 10 - 60 km XC courses, multi-hour relays, and in ON enduros like the 9 Lives and the Ganny. I also ride it at Horseshoe, 3-Stage, and Loree as I have nothing more aggressive. Reflecting this range of riding I moved the stock front tire, the Maxxis Ardent to the rear (FYI there is very little frame clearance at the back to get the tight chainstay, so you have limited options for more tread and width in the rear if you want it). I also added a 2.4" Onza Aquila to the front. This overly aggressive setup (for an XC bike) reflects my personal shift in riding interest away from XC racing. I joke the bike is having a quarter-life crisis as this setup is no longer chasing the fast line, rather the fun line. The bike is so fun in the flow at the modern GORBA trails, for example.

With a few years on it, I do wish I had 120 mm in the rear as I tend to bottom it out on some drops if I use poor technique or smash into a root at speed at the park. Other than that, no complaints about the bike. I am a better rider because of it, and the price point and frame material mean I can do my own work on it without breaking the bank. If I wanted to chase top times, I suppose I or anyone on this bile could reduce weight by converting to tubeless, upgrading the wheelset and/or put a Canis or other XC tire on the front again. The old rear Ikon tire sits unused.

I am considering a 120/120 or even a 130/120 if I were to upgrade in a year or two. The CR and CR/DL are on the radar!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008155
Mobile Version of Website