2021 Rift Zone 1 - RockShox Yari 170mm

PB Forum :: Marin Bikes
2021 Rift Zone 1 - RockShox Yari 170mm
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 10:10 Quote
Hey all,

I've had my (medium) RZ1 29er since June and been doing lots replacements and overall pretty happy with the bike! However I was wanting a bit more adjustments on the rear shock and to hopefully perform better. Not much pop even on the highest rebound setting (which the dial is reversed??).. I was also finding the 130mm RS Recon starting to feel a bit harsh and bland.

So, I was able to upgrade the XFusion to a Fox Float DPX2 and the fork with a 2020 Rockshox Yari RC 170mm with a C1 upgrade I both found here on PB. We just got the DPX2 on and will be trying it this weekend, but I'm also looking at changing out the Fork's air spring to go a bit lower travel (140 or 150mm) to help match the medium travel of the bike.

But before I do.. would the 170mm travel throw this geometry way off with the travel being so disparate between the two? 170mm vs 130mm.. Friend did a test fit of the new fork and he said its pretty noticeably more slack cause of the extension..

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 12:56 Quote
Leaving the fork at 170mm is going to ruin the geometry. Yes you may get a slacker head tube angle but you will also make the reach shorter and the seat tube angle slacker which is not ideal. The BB height will also be higher which is going to make the bike feel tippy at low speeds. By doing this you will void the warranty on the frames because a longer fork is going to put more stress on the headtube. The main rule of thumb is not to go more than 10mm in travel.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 14:54 Quote
HuckingKiwi wrote:
Leaving the fork at 170mm is going to ruin the geometry. Yes you may get a slacker head tube angle but you will also make the reach shorter and the seat tube angle slacker which is not ideal. The BB height will also be higher which is going to make the bike feel tippy at low speeds. By doing this you will void the warranty on the frames because a longer fork is going to put more stress on the headtube. The main rule of thumb is not to go more than 10mm in travel.

Good to know since i was looking to upgrade my recon rl fork (130mm] on my 21 rift zone 27.5 2 to a 150mm...I may just also remove one spacer from fork based on the sram tech manual and turn into 140mm travel

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 13:03 Quote
HuckingKiwi wrote:

Appreciate the info, THANKS! Right now going 150 with spring as its what I got on hand.. will see how that feels and then move down to 140 with a RC2 or RCT upgrade when they get available ..

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 15:54 Quote
I’m running a bomber z1 with 160mm travel on my 2021 rift zone 3. It’s running great at bike parks. But on trails the climbs took some getting used to.

Previous Page | Next Page

Active Forum Threads
40 mins ago - northstar entry needed
48 mins ago - Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
55 mins ago - Bosch kiox 3000 connection issues
2 hours ago - Continental Kryptotal Enduro Soft - your experience?
2 hours ago - Family BC trip next summer
2 hours ago - When to replace sealant?
2 hours ago - Trailforks Website Feedback & Suggestions
3 hours ago - Riders with V1 sentinel and cascade components link
3 hours ago - ColoRADo DH riders
3 hours ago - Buy a 2018 Mach 429 in 2022?
3 hours ago - Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
3 hours ago - Banshee Titan Owners
4 hours ago - TLD D3 Pad Liner
4 hours ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"
4 hours ago - Transition Sentinel
4 hours ago - 100 (or more) days of biking in 2022!
5 hours ago - Best Bike for the Price?
5 hours ago - Herbalist To Bring Back Lost Lover +27768521739 Springs Love Spells Caster
5 hours ago - Sangoma To Bring Back Lost Lover +27768521739 Durban Love Spells Caster
5 hours ago - Sangoma To Bring Back Lost Lover +27768521739 Cape Town Love Spells Caster
5 hours ago - Sangoma To Bring Back Lost Lover +27768521739 Soweto Love Spells Caster
5 hours ago - Sangoma To Bring Back Lost Lover +27768521739 Pretoria Love Spells Caster
5 hours ago - Sangoma To Bring Back Lost Lover +27768521739 Johannesburg Love Spells Caster
6 hours ago - Elite/expert racers of pinkbike...what is your mindset when racing. How fast are you going?
6 hours ago - Sangoma To Bring Back Lost Lover +27768521739 Tembisa Love Spells Caster

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006055
Mobile Version of Website