Enduro bikes gone crazy?

| Next Page
Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 6:17 Quote
Just look back what talented (...and slightly crazy!...) riders did back in the Kranked days with sh*tty 90's bikes. If we take this as a reference, most of us would not be allowed to upgrade bikes for many years (if at all). So I agree: drawing parallels from Rampage is maybe not very appropriate.

On the other hand - if you can afford a big enduro bike, and pedal it uphill, then why not. A new fellow rider in our group asked for advice to upgrade from his XC Hardtail, and as he is super fit I suggested an Enduro bike. Uphill he is still faster than I am on my trail HT, going down I stay ahead but at least he can now ride trails with us that would have required few seasons of training with an incapable bike. We're no longer 20, so with limited time, kids etc. I have no bad feelings suggesting a shortcut.

For me personally, yes I do think Enduro bikes gone crazy has a point. But we have great choice today and if we don't need "Enduro" for our ego, who stops us from buying "smaller" bikes. I really like the Downcountry idea (not so much the Marketing however) to build bikes with smaller travel but an aggressive geo and capable tyres. Unless you have the luxury to live near a bike park or at the North Shore (sadly I do not), these bikes seem spot on to me, especially if you have already developed good skills/finesse.

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 7:11 Quote
You live in Austria, surely there should be some amazing trails near you, or are you not close to the mountains?

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 2:27 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
You live in Austria, surely there should be some amazing trails near you, or are you not close to the mountains?
Lots of nice trails in my home area, amazing trails and bigger mountains or bike parks however are at least 1 hour car drive away

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 4:24 Quote
good topictup

i live in switzerland and i ride everything from bikepark to steep freeride lines to singletrails, also in the summer i go to the portes du soleil and i have to say a super enduro suits me the best. 180/170 front and 170/160 in the rear is perfect for me. i would like to have a full dh bike but for the offseason its shit and it limits my riding style. so yeah super enduro is my fav type of bike

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 16:26 Quote
I want more bike than I need, so I can live to tell about the times I accidentally rode into sections gnarlier than my skill set was prepared for. Big Grin

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 13:45 Quote
@Falcon991
I'll second that! Salute

~JSV

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 14:11 Quote
Regarding the original post; it is not at all a bad thing what has happened to enduro bikes. It sounds like you may be too hung up on the term "enduro"

The enduro bikes have undoubtedly progressed a ton and I do not doubt that they probably do not fit what you're looking for. They absolutely do not fit what I'm looking for either. Just buy a trail bike. I went from a full on crazy enduro bike with my first generation process 153 to a 2020 norco sight. Travel is almost the same and the norco is a little longer and slacker. But the norco is a "All Mountain" bike. What they label it as doesn't make a difference in the bike, the way it is designed does.

Ignoring what a bike is labeled as being and just boiling it down to the actual numbers, be that geometry or travel, is the right way to go. The semantics of bike labeling is taken very seriously and it shouldn't be that way.

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 14:32 Quote
Yeah you're totally correct, and there's even those riders that like a slack DH head angle and they're riding it for an enduro bike. The "general" classification is fair, but the actual usage of the bike ends up being determined by the rider and their choice.

Hey if we saw a trend in coming few years of riders going less and less travel, for instance, maybe it won't be uncommon for some riders to start considering bikes w/140r travel as enduro bikes, or maybe the trend in geo' will change that and more trail bikes will have slack HT or ST angles or something

~JSV

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 14:49 Quote
Yeah. I'm a big fan of a little bit less travel than current full on enduro bikes but with the full on enduro type geometry. Bikes like the sight and the stumpy evo are a lot of fun and let you go fast but the 150mm travel still helps it feel not to spongey on climbs. I don't know what most people would call that but somewhere between trail and enduro I guess. But its a bike with the aspects I like!

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 15:21 Quote
Yeah my Stumpy is almost an "in-between" (tween-Duro?) with 140r/150f and a 66.5 HT. The new ones (LT's) have gone down 10mils on the travel so I'd guess I have a slightly aggressive TRAIL bike (by the new standards). The EVOs first got me due to the geo', but I've decided the 66.5 HT and slightly shorter stays on my Stumpy are perfect. (riding an XL/S5 too)

Travel as you know too gets effected by the type of shock and the set-up. I think if I didn't have it so progressive and with the CC link it would feel like maybe a bit much or too "soft" on the deeper end of the travel. The way it tightens up nicely past mid-travel really gives me the feeling when riding that it's longer than 140.

Not riding for too long of a stretch into heavier and more gNarLy terrain means I don't typically need it too "plush" on the deep end and I like that it responds with a firmer feel, especially since the CC link was installed. I have my rebound set so it's not kicking back at me over roots and big rocks either--really is just right. Those EVO's though I'd still enjoy that ride as much as long as I had the same amount of progressivity as my LT Stumpy. Maybe the FLOAT X2 would be better than the DPX2 on the EVO's geo though.

~JSV

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 19:39 Quote
Absolutely agree with you. Between different frames; some bikes can make a certain travel amount feel much more lively or sporty than others. And shock choices; based of the actual design or ability to tune based off of volume, clickers, and pressure, and aftermarket link options. It is a good time to be alive. Then you have the ability to shop geometry that you feel best suits your preference and general type of terrain. You can make a bike with 140mm travel feel similar to a bike with 120mm, and vise versa.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005458
Mobile Version of Website