Formula Cura 4 Questions

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Formula Cura 4 Questions
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 4:23 Quote
Has anyone tried yet or came with the idea, to mess around with different Mineral Oil's in their Formula Cura 4's ? This question applies to Cura 2's and Cura X owners too.

Formula will always be really lip sealed and sit by their claim that the Mineral Oil they use is the best it can be, for their standards.... *blah* *blah* marketing shenanigans.....

This question is more or less out of curiosity and maybe to save some money.... Instead of paying 15 euros for transport, from bike24, to get Formula oil in 250ml bottles....

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 5:49 Quote
I'll add it applies to any mineral oil brakes. I now have dropped the idea of buying genuine, relatively expensive, Shimano fluid for Putoline HPX R.

Shimano haven't tried to sort out my wandering bite point issues so why should I pay extra for their fluid.

Been using it in my brakes for well over 6 months and all is absolutely fine and performing well. My risk, my reward or not maybe but it's working for me so far.

Considering this alternative fluid is £12 a litre compared to around £7-8 for 100mls, financially it's a no brainer. Wink

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 14:53 Quote
Reaperactual wrote:
I'll add it applies to any mineral oil brakes. I now have dropped the idea of buying genuine, relatively expensive, Shimano fluid for Putoline HPX R.

Shimano haven't tried to sort out my wandering bite point issues so why should I pay extra for their fluid.

Been using it in my brakes for well over 6 months and all is absolutely fine and performing well. My risk, my reward or not maybe but it's working for me so far.

Considering this alternative fluid is £12 a litre compared to around £7-8 for 100mls, financially it's a no brainer. Wink

Will give it a go to some Putoline HPX R and others. Had soo many issues with my saint's because of the shimano oil...

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 23:27 Quote
Sounds like you had similar issues that I had. Changing to an alternative oil didn't solve my wandering bite point, it was the last thing on a long list of things to try.

After many attempts to solve this problem with all those inevitable bleeds afterwards it was costing me a fortune so I'll live with the bite point issue but happy that I'm paying a fair price for fluid that is working.

For safety sake I recomend just doing your rear brake only for a while if you intend on trying Putoline or other oil for piece of mind and as a base/front comparison test. Salute

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 16:26 Quote
Reaperactual wrote:
Sounds like you had similar issues that I had. Changing to an alternative oil didn't solve my wandering bite point, it was the last thing on a long list of things to try.

After many attempts to solve this problem with all those inevitable bleeds afterwards it was costing me a fortune so I'll live with the bite point issue but happy that I'm paying a fair price for fluid that is working.

For safety sake I recomend just doing your rear brake only for a while if you intend on trying Putoline or other oil for piece of mind and as a base/front comparison test. Salute

Will do ! Thanks.

Shimanos always kinda had that wandering bite point... got to a point where i will never get a pair from the ever again.
Had even some friend literally have the calliper mounts brake off randomly.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 21:25 Quote
Yeah, I've seriously considered changing brands but nothing catches my eye or tempts me and all seem to have their own set of issues.

Possibly Magura but then it would seem the best option is to keep the levers and have Shigura's but picture still having bite point issues....maybe?

Hey thank you @e4r33d! I'm going to look into Formula's as you've changed over to those, they're the ones I don't really hear or know much about tbh. Salute

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 14:16 Quote
I've bled my formulas with shimano mineral oil since I have a big bottle of it, haven't seen any issues after running for 6 months, I don't think the formulation could be very different between different brands of mineral oil made specifically for brakes.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004933
Mobile Version of Website