close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Looking for a Bosch powered 170-180mm gravity ebike £5-6k UK - Please Help

PB Forum :: eMTB
Looking for a Bosch powered 170-180mm gravity ebike £5-6k UK - Please Help
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 13:26 Quote
Hi all

As per the title, I'm in the market for a motor powered partner to my 180 mm park bike. I'm really keen on the Bosch drive system. Seems to have excellent reliability and in use reviews.
I could free up some cash to buy outright, but would rather the 0% finance option for 2 years.I also prefer rockshox suspension as getting the spares and servicing is far easier IMO.

I like the Focus Sam2 6.8 which suits my budget at £5.2k, but no stock currently.

The Whyte e-180 S also looks pretty good, practically same spec as Focus but £5999

My regular bike is a Propain Spindrift, so I was considering the ekano, but it's over £6k delivered now due to brexit and not on 0% finance.

Hoping to tap into the collective knowledge here to draw up a more comprehensive list, so any help identifying what other options should I be considering would be greatly appreciated.
I don't mind waiting for the right bike to come into stock, and I'm not necessarily looking for a big name as they usually come with a high price and lower spec.
Many thanks

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 3:30 Quote
huw169 wrote:
Hi all

As per the title, I'm in the market for a motor powered partner to my 180 mm park bike. I'm really keen on the Bosch drive system. Seems to have excellent reliability and in use reviews.
I could free up some cash to buy outright, but would rather the 0% finance option for 2 years.I also prefer rockshox suspension as getting the spares and servicing is far easier IMO.

I like the Focus Sam2 6.8 which suits my budget at £5.2k, but no stock currently.

The Whyte e-180 S also looks pretty good, practically same spec as Focus but £5999

My regular bike is a Propain Spindrift, so I was considering the ekano, but it's over £6k delivered now due to brexit and not on 0% finance.

Hoping to tap into the collective knowledge here to draw up a more comprehensive list, so any help identifying what other options should I be considering would be greatly appreciated.
I don't mind waiting for the right bike to come into stock, and I'm not necessarily looking for a big name as they usually come with a high price and lower spec.
Many thanks

The one I use can be your answer, which is Scott Ransom E-ride

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 7:56 Quote
I'm looking for a similar setup to you but holding out for a 2022 Mondraker Level RR which is a little further up the pricing scale. The first wave of 2022 bikes are due in November but nobody really knows what will actually turn up and what free-stock will be available.

The 2022 Level R seems to fit your bill @ £6k but comes with Fox rather than your preferred RS. You would of course get the newer Bosch setup with increased battery capacity, but the 2022 motor is basically the same as the 2021.

If you are prepared to go used there's a 2021 Mondraker Level R in the for sale section for 5k but it's an XL which might not suit you.

I'd love a Focus Sam2 6.9 but nobody I talk to seems to know when there will be any available, which is pretty much the norm at the moment.

The Whyte looks like great value for money and the reviews I've read are very positive. I just cant get over that curved top-tube no matter how well it rides so it's a no for me. If you can live with the styling then that would be a great choice and Whyte have started shipping their 2022 range bikes last week so there a reasonable chance something will become available in the coming weeks if you keep your eyes peeled.

Good luck :-)

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 12:51 Quote
[/Quote]

The one I use can be your answer, which is Scott Ransom E-ride[/Quote]

Thanks for the info, its a really good spec for the price, but there is just something about it that doesn't appeal to me. Not sure what. Maybe frame shape.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 12:54 Quote
Jph98 wrote:
I'm looking for a similar setup to you but holding out for a 2022 Mondraker Level RR which is a little further up the pricing scale. The first wave of 2022 bikes are due in November but nobody really knows what will actually turn up and what free-stock will be available.

The 2022 Level R seems to fit your bill @ £6k but comes with Fox rather than your preferred RS. You would of course get the newer Bosch setup with increased battery capacity, but the 2022 motor is basically the same as the 2021.

If you are prepared to go used there's a 2021 Mondraker Level R in the for sale section for 5k but it's an XL which might not suit you.

I'd love a Focus Sam2 6.9 but nobody I talk to seems to know when there will be any available, which is pretty much the norm at the moment.

The Whyte looks like great value for money and the reviews I've read are very positive. I just cant get over that curved top-tube no matter how well it rides so it's a no for me. If you can live with the styling then that would be a great choice and Whyte have started shipping their 2022 range bikes last week so there a reasonable chance something will become available in the coming weeks if you keep your eyes peeled.

Good luck :-)

Good shout on the Mondraker. Really like that, but last years colours are way way better. Definitely on the short list though. Thanks

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 7:19 Quote
After careful budget scrutiny and spec consideration, I've ordered a Focus Sam2 6.8. I found a 2021 in Large. 2022 are not due in until Spring/Summer next year and the spec and cost is not fully nailed down yet obvs. I don't ride that much over winter so it was a bit of a gamble, but will see what its like.

Mondraker looked good, but a little more of a down hill charger I think, whereas the Sam seems bang on target for me.

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 7:42 Quote
huw169 wrote:
After careful budget scrutiny and spec consideration, I've ordered a Focus Sam2 6.8. I found a 2021 in Large. 2022 are not due in until Spring/Summer next year and the spec and cost is not fully nailed down yet obvs. I don't ride that much over winter so it was a bit of a gamble, but will see what its like.

Mondraker looked good, but a little more of a down hill charger I think, whereas the Sam seems bang on target for me.

Sounds like a good outcome. I'd be really interested in your first impressions when you get it as I've found an XL 6.9 in stock somewhere and I'm very close to pulling the trigger.

The main thing that is putting me off is the weight so I'd love to know how noticeable it is when riding.

Cheers.

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 9:05 Quote
Jph98 wrote:
huw169 wrote:

Sounds like a good outcome. I'd be really interested in your first impressions when you get it as I've found an XL 6.9 in stock somewhere and I'm very close to pulling the trigger.

The main thing that is putting me off is the weight so I'd love to know how noticeable it is when riding.

Cheers.

Should have been delivered today, but I never have much luck with the timing of these sort of things. Most are around the 25kg mark from what I gather, and anyone who rides one always says they don't notice it. Who knows.
I just figured life is too short to keep waiting.

If it arrives and I get a go this weekend, I'll let you know. Good luck.

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 8:21 Quote
Not coming until Mon 1st now as they arsed it up yesterday, and I'm not about to receive it. Gutted....

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 12:22 Quote
Had it a couple of weeks now. I know we all love a new toy, but it is incredibly capable. Powers up anything with ease, battery only dropped one bar out of 5 and I was out for 3 hours in emtb/Turbo mode. It chews up anything my limited skill level can throw at it.
The motor is quiet and very efficient in emtb mode. You do have to be in the right gear to keep cadence.
It's no lightweight at 26 kgs, but I had no idea of the weight when riding or jumping, and I now have to break for sharp switch backs when climbing (that will take some getting used too...)
Its like someones thrown an anchor out at 15 mph though. Typical of all UK bikes, so not specific, but i find 15-20 is ideal for me, so a bit annoying. I know there is an easy fix for this, but we'll see.

I was a bit concerned about the air shock on a heavy bike, but didn't want to be fiddling with different coils, but it was very good. Nice and comfy and didn't bottom out once. Second half of the travel is very progressive, so I may be able to take some air out or remove some spacers (not sure if any are in there)
ZEB forks are the base model Charger R, but are still very good. I'm 90/95 kgs and there was no flex that I could detect. I'm no Fox fan as I prefer the simplicity and parts being readily available for rockshox, and I don't spend anywhere near enough time on a bike to dial in all the Fox settings (and I don't care enough to put the time in LOL)
The single up and down shift for emtbs is great, and it still works fast enough. Code R breaks were amazing after I bled them properly (don't rely on Rutland to send it 'ready to ride')

Chain stay protector is great shape and right where it needs to be, until it starts to come un-stuck. Not great for first ride, but a small cable tie in the right spot is a discrete and easy fix.

Purion display is a little '80's casio', but I like it. Easy to read an operate and tells you everything you need to know at a glance so you don't hit a tree!.

Overall, I'm really impressed. Would have preferred Maxxis tyres, but will cross that bridge when/if I mullet it

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006140
Mobile Version of Website