Help. Can somebody explain the hesitance to ship used gear from USA to Canada?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Help. Can somebody explain the hesitance to ship used gear from USA to Canada?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 14:51 Quote
I don't understand how this is even a thing. I've shipped countless used sports gear items to the US (and Europe) over the years. It doesn't even cross my mind where it's going. WF cares!? I have a buyer!! That's what counts.

WTF is with sellers not being cool with shipping outside of their own country? There literally is no risk, aside from the 9.5 extra seconds it takes to complete a customs declaration.

WHAT? What is it? Help me, please. I want to understand this.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 18:22 Quote
Because it 2-3 times more expensive to ship out of the country. Even just to Canada. Not only that, once it gets to customs there is almost nothing you can do if it turns up missing. Now the buyer and PayPal are angry at the seller, and the seller loses the money and the item he sold.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 18:42 Quote
?, The buyer pays shipping (somebody please tell me how you convince sellers to cover shipping, is that a Jedi mind trick sort of thing??) - so why would the seller care what it costs? They aren't paying for it. And it's not 2-3 times more expensive btw. I'm in BC, I just bought a crankset from Alabama, it was cheaper to ship from there than the equivalent distance in Canada (i.e. Toronto). Not kidding.

It's tracked! Virtually all cross border service is tracked. The moment it leaves the sellers hands, as a buyer - I know! If it gets lost at customs (I have never seen or heard of this in 25 years and hundreds of items bought and sold from the states) how tf is it the sellers fault? The seller has the tracking history to show it was mailed!!

Folks, c'mon. Maybe there were issues like 30 years ago that your Dad warned you about, but it's no longer the 1990's! We've come a long way since then. Cross border commerce is alive and well, and carries no. freaking. additional. risk. vs domestic sales. Seriously!

Boom, just like that the market you are looking for to buy your used shit just got bigger. Better pricing and faster sale times for you.

Your welcome!

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 8:31 Quote
We are all canukaphobics

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 10:30 Quote
I hate to limit sales to Canada, but for Domestic US shipping, we are "spoiled" and have a very simple, efficient system for buying, printing labels and shipping. I had to ship something back to a manufacturer in Canada last week, and dealt with the issues around custom forms in triplicate, exemption identifications and listings to avoid some sort of duty penalty that shouldn't be, concerns over tracking accuracy, etc. etc. It is a lot of headache compared to our typical procedures for domestic shipping. It wouldn't be a huge deal if that was the typical process, but a few times a year that I need to ship overseas, it is another refresh/relearning affair.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 11:31 Quote
Thanks for posting that previous thread - I searched but could not find any previous discussions.

And thanks everyone for your input. Mostly I'm just trying to understand this phenomenon. I'm a bit old school - I just write the ship to address on the label when I send something - so no real issue for me where it's going. Customs documentation for outbound items from Canada is so easy and quick - it's not a decision point at all.

Like I mentioned, for me, I just want to sell my used stuff at the best price - the largest market possible helps me do that. I'm willing to do a bit more work for that, but understand how other circumstances might make a bit more work a barrier.

If you are selling a tough to find item, and get a cleverly worded PM asking you to step outside of your comfort zone and sell to me in Canada, please don't be pissed!

;-) have great rides everyone

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 15:54 Quote
Gwaihir wrote:
If you are selling a tough to find item, and get a cleverly worded PM asking you to step outside of your comfort zone and sell to me in Canada, please don't be pissed!
As a Canada canuck myself with family in the USA, I side with the choice of the American seller.

It's simply too much work for them to "expand" to an extra 0.5% more marketshare.

Canadians just aren't worth it. Your present attitude and conumdrum is proof.

It would be similar effort for a USA seller to sell to Central America, yet much more marketshare.

Not entirely sure why you're so upset that a seller won't accept your money.

Look elsewhere.

That's what I have done. And discovered new awesome solid suppliers that I would not have found otherwise.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 21:42 Quote
"It's simply too much work for them to "expand" to an extra 0.5% more marketshare."

Based purely on population it's actually 11.5% (CAN pop / US pop). I would wager (based purely on observation) there are likely more active mtb riders / capita in Canada than the US, but again no data to prove that. Pushing that % up even higher from a marketplace perspective.

Not entirely sure why you're so upset that a seller won't accept your money.

Not upset at all, just trying to understand the why of it. Clearly the process to ship a package out of country in either country is vastly different. My assumption was that they were similar (hence the initial q: so why the resistance to ship from US)..

Look elsewhere. That's what I have done. And discovered new awesome solid suppliers that I would not have found otherwise

That is what I have done, and discovered a newer home grown manufacturer for the component I was searching for I was previously unaware of (and sell direct to customer).

Always psyched to buy local when and where possible - recent shortages have just made that really hard for some items.

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 16:09 Quote
Matt7082 wrote:
once it gets to customs there is almost nothing you can do if it turns up missing. Now the buyer and PayPal are angry at the seller, and the seller loses the money and the item he sold.
I forgot to quote this very important point.

When stuff from outside Canada comes into Canada, it is subject to customs and excise duties and brokerage and federal and provincial taxes.

These are all LEGAL costs and are REQUIRED.

Then, when Canadian buyer gets a surprise COD bill where they have to pay exhorbitant amounts, they fuss and cuss AND blame the seller.

Majority of Canadians are just too ignorant thinking they can cheat the import system, and get upset when they are forced to play by rules their own federal government has made for them.

No wonder USA sellers refuse to ship to Canada. Too many headaches.

Yes, I am Canadian and I agree with the USA sellers.

Posted: Oct 24, 2021 at 6:18 Quote
Soyabeans, I take exception to your “quoted” ignorant comment . . .

…”Majority of Canadians are just too ignorant thinking they can cheat the import system, and get upset when they are forced to play by rules their own federal government has made for them.”

Do NOT post lies on here about Canadians importing goods that are NOT true! If you are using yourself as an example and cheat the system, then that is you, ALONE! But to say that the majority of Canadians are just too ignorant thinking they can cheat the import system is total bullsh*t, and you know it! I am ashamed to call you a fellow Canadian with a comment like yours!

Posted: Oct 24, 2021 at 11:30 Quote
Say what you want, none of that makes a USA seller want to ship to Canada, and your defensiveness is proof.

Again, as a Canadian myself, I stand by the fact that Canadians are just too ignorant and troublesome. They simply want everything for almost free or lowest cost possible.

I am a business owner that is Canadian federally corporated and I know exactly what it takes to import legally. I have accounts with UPS Brown Logistics and FedEx Trade Networks just to handle all the brokerage. By the way, those aren't normal UPS and FedEx. Feel free to call your Ups/FedEx reps to explain.

And when I sell an item to a stupid local buyer that snarks "but I see it on ebay for blah blah blah dollars", I simply tell them good luck trying to find someone that will ship to Canada ^_^

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 18:39 Quote
Sorry folks, was not intending this to become a dumpster fire / troll feeding trough.

I appreciate the legit comments.

All the best and great rides, G.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006167
Mobile Version of Website