close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

22 EVO Comp Alloy coming ..

PB Forum :: Specialized
22 EVO Comp Alloy coming ..
Author Message
Posted: Nov 15, 2021 at 7:28 Quote
Awesome feedback! I got my frame in last week and just waiting for a couple parts before it all goes together. Glad you posted in comparison to the enduro. I had an enduro, and went to a stumpy. All signs point to this being the perfect in between.


lyzyrdskydr wrote:


Just put my Stumpy together the other night, swapped the parts over from my 2020 Enduro.

Did some pedal powered laps in the morning and hit some steeps, then did a bunch of shuttle laps in the afternoon on a higher speed trail with some pretty choppy rough hits

Gonna try not to gush too much after one day of riding but the bike is exactly what I was hoping it would be. Nearly as capable as the Enduro but poppier/more lively and more balanced with the longer stays on the S5 (coming from and S5 Enduro at 6' 5")

Also found it to be a great climber, never felt the need to use the lockout which impressed me as I am pretty sensitive to pedal bob. Also the steeper seat angle and longer stays were nice on steeper climbs coming from the Enduro. Definitely felt like a bit better climber than the Enduro but it is almost a pound lighter than my Enduro (coil shock on Enduro, all other parts identical including 170mm 38 )

The Enduro still has the edge on really rough repeated hits and at super high speeds, but the Evo is plenty capable and I think it will make a great one-bike setup for me

Oh yeah and for the weight weenies: my S5 frameset was 9lbs 1oz

Posted: Nov 15, 2021 at 23:45 Quote
May I ask a dumb question regarding EVO alloy frameset - What does the frameset come with?

1. Headsets (top + bottom) with different cups (+1 / -1 / neutral)?
2. Seat collar?
3. SWAT bottle cage + misc SWAT things?
4. Rear thru axle?

thanks in advance

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 0:32 Quote
mtb2104 wrote:
May I ask a dumb question regarding EVO alloy frameset - What does the frameset come with?

1. Headsets (top + bottom) with different cups (+1 / -1 / neutral)?
2. Seat collar?
3. SWAT bottle cage + misc SWAT things?
4. Rear thru axle?

thanks in advance

Full headset (bearings, neutral and offset cups, headset covers, carbon spacers, star nut and top cap), seat collar + 30.9 shim, axle + hanger, shock, SWAT stuff (bag, zee cage w tool, cover door)

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 0:40 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
mtb2104 wrote:
May I ask a dumb question regarding EVO alloy frameset - What does the frameset come with?

1. Headsets (top + bottom) with different cups (+1 / -1 / neutral)?
2. Seat collar?
3. SWAT bottle cage + misc SWAT things?
4. Rear thru axle?

thanks in advance

Full headset (bearings, neutral and offset cups, headset covers, carbon spacers, star nut and top cap), seat collar + 30.9 shim, axle + hanger, shock, SWAT stuff (bag, zee cage w tool, cover door)

Thank you so much! Smile

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 6:27 Quote
Also comes with the rear shock. You probably know this but just confirming.

mtb2104 wrote:
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
mtb2104 wrote:
May I ask a dumb question regarding EVO alloy frameset - What does the frameset come with?

1. Headsets (top + bottom) with different cups (+1 / -1 / neutral)?
2. Seat collar?
3. SWAT bottle cage + misc SWAT things?
4. Rear thru axle?

thanks in advance

Full headset (bearings, neutral and offset cups, headset covers, carbon spacers, star nut and top cap), seat collar + 30.9 shim, axle + hanger, shock, SWAT stuff (bag, zee cage w tool, cover door)

Thank you so much! Smile

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 16:35 Quote
Yes, and thank you guys! Smile

sempertoy wrote:
Also comes with the rear shock. You probably know this but just confirming.

mtb2104 wrote:
lyzyrdskydr wrote:


Full headset (bearings, neutral and offset cups, headset covers, carbon spacers, star nut and top cap), seat collar + 30.9 shim, axle + hanger, shock, SWAT stuff (bag, zee cage w tool, cover door)

Thank you so much! Smile

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 1:40 Quote
Another dumb question regarding EVO alloy frameset. What is the box measurements it comes in? S4 in particular.

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 8:31 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:


Just put my Stumpy together the other night, swapped the parts over from my 2020 Enduro.

Did some pedal powered laps in the morning and hit some steeps, then did a bunch of shuttle laps in the afternoon on a higher speed trail with some pretty choppy rough hits

Gonna try not to gush too much after one day of riding but the bike is exactly what I was hoping it would be. Nearly as capable as the Enduro but poppier/more lively and more balanced with the longer stays on the S5 (coming from and S5 Enduro at 6' 5")

Also found it to be a great climber, never felt the need to use the lockout which impressed me as I am pretty sensitive to pedal bob. Also the steeper seat angle and longer stays were nice on steeper climbs coming from the Enduro. Definitely felt like a bit better climber than the Enduro but it is almost a pound lighter than my Enduro (coil shock on Enduro, all other parts identical including 170mm 38 )

The Enduro still has the edge on really rough repeated hits and at super high speeds, but the Evo is plenty capable and I think it will make a great one-bike setup for me

Oh yeah and for the weight weenies: my S5 frameset was 9lbs 1oz

Thanks for sharing. I had similarly sized 2020 gt force and 2019 meta am frames.. Both were more than a pound heavier. I think the weight of this alum frame is on par with some burly c.f. enduro frames.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 23:31 Quote
Anybody know when the S2 framesets will be released? Weird that they only released S3 and S4 frame sets.

Posted: Dec 11, 2021 at 8:06 Quote
Built one up a month or so ago now, awesome bike. I have a 170mm fork on it, currently in the low/mid setting.
Actual HA with a digital angelometer measures around 63.6, BB height w/ 2.4/2.5 Maxxis tires is 338mm. Weight is 32#.

Much firmer/sportier feeling compared to the Enduro. Only bummer is the Float X is the budget version w/o compression damping adjustment.

Just got a Cascade link installed for a touch more progression, but 9" of snow on the ground so might be a bit of a wait to test it! Confused



Posted: Dec 13, 2021 at 12:55 Quote
bikebasher wrote:
Built one up a month or so ago now, awesome bike. I have a 170mm fork on it, currently in the low/mid setting.
Actual HA with a digital angelometer measures around 63.6, BB height w/ 2.4/2.5 Maxxis tires is 338mm. Weight is 32#.

Much firmer/sportier feeling compared to the Enduro. Only bummer is the Float X is the budget version w/o compression damping adjustment.

Just got a Cascade link installed for a touch more progression, but 9" of snow on the ground so might be a bit of a wait to test it! Confused



That second shot makes miss home…. Looks like a great high country bike, and not too bad at 32 lbs. Are you going to swap the Float X out for the factory or something else?

Posted: Dec 13, 2021 at 18:24 Quote
Cantle406 wrote:
bikebasher wrote:
Built one up a month or so ago now, awesome bike. I have a 170mm fork on it, currently in the low/mid setting.
Actual HA with a digital angelometer measures around 63.6, BB height w/ 2.4/2.5 Maxxis tires is 338mm. Weight is 32#.

Much firmer/sportier feeling compared to the Enduro. Only bummer is the Float X is the budget version w/o compression damping adjustment.

Just got a Cascade link installed for a touch more progression, but 9" of snow on the ground so might be a bit of a wait to test it! Confused



That second shot makes miss home…. Looks like a great high country bike, and not too bad at 32 lbs. Are you going to swap the Float X out for the factory or something else?

Yeah, that is my test /setup loop. Unfortunately all fenced off now until April.Cry

Compression damping adjustment would be nice, but the shock works pretty good as is so it's staying for now.

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 8:07 Quote
Just got my Alu frame, unable to thread in the left bb cup, threads need to be re faced. so now I have to deal with that, spec rider was no help...

Posted: Dec 24, 2021 at 19:44 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:

Just put my Stumpy together the other night, swapped the parts over from my 2020 Enduro.

Did some pedal powered laps in the morning and hit some steeps, then did a bunch of shuttle laps in the afternoon on a higher speed trail with some pretty choppy rough hits

Gonna try not to gush too much after one day of riding but the bike is exactly what I was hoping it would be. Nearly as capable as the Enduro but poppier/more lively and more balanced with the longer stays on the S5 (coming from and S5 Enduro at 6' 5")

Also found it to be a great climber, never felt the need to use the lockout which impressed me as I am pretty sensitive to pedal bob. Also the steeper seat angle and longer stays were nice on steeper climbs coming from the Enduro. Definitely felt like a bit better climber than the Enduro but it is almost a pound lighter than my Enduro (coil shock on Enduro, all other parts identical including 170mm 38 )

The Enduro still has the edge on really rough repeated hits and at super high speeds, but the Evo is plenty capable and I think it will make a great one-bike setup for me

Oh yeah and for the weight weenies: my S5 frameset was 9lbs 1oz

This is actually super surprising. I demo'ed stump jumpers back in '15 and '16 and was very disappointed by the amount of pedal bob.

I haven't had a chance to demo Ibis' DW link, but it's supposed to offer a superior climbing platform. Can anyone compare the Ripmo vs Evo, alloy or otherwise? Prefer not to start a new thread on the topic.

I'm also surprised there aren't more posts in this thread! Pinkbike just published a very positive review on this bike. The ripmo AF I assume, has a huge thread devoted to it.

Posted: Dec 24, 2021 at 21:10 Quote
mtb1101 wrote:
This is actually super surprising. I demo'ed stump jumpers back in '15 and '16 and was very disappointed by the amount of pedal bob.

I haven't had a chance to demo Ibis' DW link, but it's supposed to offer a superior climbing platform. Can anyone compare the Ripmo vs Evo, alloy or otherwise? Prefer not to start a new thread on the topic.

I'm also surprised there aren't more posts in this thread! Pinkbike just published a very positive review on this bike. The ripmo AF I assume, has a huge thread devoted to it.

To clarify there definitely is some pedal bob when out of the saddle, but the bike feels very efficient seated. Even out of the saddle the bob is minimal enough that I'd only ever use the lockout if I was hammering up a steep paved climb.

I haven't ridden a Ripmo but I've ridden plenty of other dual link bikes with similar reputations for efficiency. I'm sure the Ripmo is more efficient but theres always a compromise, usually in form of less sensitive or active suspension for descending.

The new Evo is far more efficient than previous generations of Stumpjumpers but is not quite as snappy as some dual link bikes like the Ripmo


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011870
Mobile Version of Website