close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Santa Cruz guaranty claim - hanger cracked the frame

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Santa Cruz guaranty claim - hanger cracked the frame
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 2:42 Quote
Hey,

I had recently a bad accident. Wooden stick jumped between rear wheel and rear derailleur. Wheel spin rotated hanger backwards. Hanger body cracked frame, it looks nasty. In my opinion the hanger move should not be possible in this direction, it should break preventing frame damage. Santa Cruz refused a warranty claim, no crash replacement possible.

What do you think about this? Was it hanger failure and should be accepted by Santa Cruz?
Can I safely use this frame? May that cause further cracks ?

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 7:12 Quote
I definitely wouldn't think that was a warranty replacement issue and can see why SC denied the claim; it's not their fault that a frame cracked because you hit a stick and it went through your spokes and caused damage. Really sucks and I feel your pain, but not a failure on their end.

I am curious about the "no crash replacement possible" comment, though. Did you buy this bike secondhand, is it not possible because you can't afford a crash replacement, or did they say that they don't have anything in stock to replace it with?

If I were you, I'd look for local carbon repair and take it easy on the bike until fixed. Doesn't look absolutely detrimental to me, especially since that side isn't the threaded side, but still not pretty.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 7:15 Quote
I can see why they won't warranty it but should still offer a crash replacement. Are you the original owner with purchase receipt?

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 7:54 Quote
To play devils advocate. Shouldn't they have designed the hanger in such a way that it breaks sacrificially, instead of damaging the frame or derailleur. That is kind of the whole point of them.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 7:59 Quote
If they won't warranty it, I'd be getting a carbon repair company on the case.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 8:04 Quote
LeithB wrote:
To play devils advocate. Shouldn't they have designed the hanger in such a way that it breaks sacrificially, instead of damaging the frame or derailleur. That is kind of the whole point of them.

I all depends on the situation. I've mangled plenty of rear derailleurs without the rear hanger snapping. I've gotten a few wrapped up in the wheel and all it did was bend the hanger.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 20:58 Quote
LeithB wrote:

I've only been riding Shimano 11 speed for a while now but the derailleur has a plastic hanger that attaches to the main hanger. That will break. The hanger for my SC Bronson is a solid chunk of metal....it's definitely taking the frame with it if it gets trashed.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 8:58 Quote
SC use the SRAM universal derailleur hanger that has a reverse thread and has to be torqued to 25NM. It is designed to allow some rotation to try and save the mech in the event of an impact. Perhaps it was not properly torqued and spun too easily. I know the hanger is supplied loose with frame only purchases and has to be fitted, not sure about complete bikes.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 14:12 Quote
From those pictures it looks like it mostly just cracked paint and and maybe the first layer of carbon that backs up the derailleur hanger. If it were me I'd keep riding it with no worries, just keep an eye on it and if starts spreading stop riding it.

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 0:40 Quote
Thank you all for many replies Smile
SC could not offer crash replacement at the moment as they are out of stocks, but at the end I was assigned to a priority list of "awaiting for crash replacement" and I will receive new free of charge hanger as the one was bent. I think they behave customer friendly and I appreciate it.

I contacted carbon workshop. They claim that damage is not serious and I can ride it with no worries. Repair would cost me about 150 usd if I want to fix it perfectly (with a paintjob). It is recommended to fix in future it as cracks may enlarge.

Regarding the hanger . I crashed several hangers in my life and never had issue like in this case. In all cases hanger broke and no harm was done to frame. I am sure that hanger was screwed with torque wrench 25nm but I don't remember when I did last checking and I did not use thread lock ... maybe it loosen while riding but now I cannot tell for sure. I think that I was reaaaaally unlucky

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006028
Mobile Version of Website