3 pawl vs 36t ratchet vs 54t ratchet

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
3 pawl vs 36t ratchet vs 54t ratchet
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 8:21 Quote
Hello all,
I'm looking for some advice on upgrading my driver.
I currently have the synchro boost hub w/ XD driver.
It currently has the 3pawl set up in it but am thinking about upgrading to a ratchet set up.
I ride cross country/Enduro any feed back on durability of the 54tooth ratchet? Or would 36 tooth be better? Or should I just stick to my current 3pawl system?

Thank you

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 19:46 Quote
I did the same a while ago when switching form a DT370 (3 pawl with around 30 points of engegement) to a DT350.
I initially had an 18 ratchet. I dont even know why they bother making those!! I went to the 54 and it is great. Definately a worthwhile upgrade. I cant comment on the 36.

The 54 is excellent. Obvioulsy not as much engagement as some of the modern 100+ or infinite hubs. But plenty for me.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 19:52 Quote
Taytaycoathanger wrote:
Hello all,
I'm looking for some advice on upgrading my driver.
I currently have the synchro boost hub w/ XD driver.
It currently has the 3pawl set up in it but am thinking about upgrading to a ratchet set up.
I ride cross country/Enduro any feed back on durability of the 54tooth ratchet? Or would 36 tooth be better? Or should I just stick to my current 3pawl system?

Thank you

I have been riding the 36 and 54t a lot lately and started riding another bike with the 370 3 pawl hubs and noticed a difference. I am not a POE snob but honestly I feel 54ish POE is great. That said I do like the thicker steps of the 36t for durability but I have a lot of miles on a 54t set that have been on multiple bikes no issue. Also another thing I like about star ratchet is you can carry a spare (even the cheap 18t) in your back pack in the rare case you spin out your existing set. Easy trail repair.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 5:42 Quote
Thanks for the info guys I'll get the parts coming and make the switch to a 54!

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 11:21 Quote
Has anyone noticed increased pedal kickback on bigger drops with the higher engagement?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005179
Mobile Version of Website