close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

2021 TR Race Weigh-In

PB Forum :: Commencal
2021 TR Race Weigh-In
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 11:57 Quote
Here is a snapshot of my new crane scale and where the 2021 TR Race falls on the scale for those that were wondering how accurate the weights on Commencal's website are.

I have XT Pedals, a Race Face Carbon Next Bar 35mm, and a Race Face Turbine 35 Stem in 40mm. Both the bars and stem are lighter than stock. Tires are Assegai Front, and Dissector rear which definitely are on the heavy side.

As planted as this bike is, especially on descents, the weight penalty for a long travel trail bike going uphill is significant compared to longer travel carbon rigs, including Enduros options in the 31lb range. I guess it all depends on what's important to you and your type of riding, but I wish I had a much lighter bike despite the positive attributes of this model.

https://imgur.com/O9c3hi6

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
what enduro option at 31lbs exactly ?

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 21:16 Quote
TBro wrote:
Here is a snapshot of my new crane scale and where the 2021 TR Race falls on the scale for those that were wondering how accurate the weights on Commencal's website are.

I have XT Pedals, a Race Face Carbon Next Bar 35mm, and a Race Face Turbine 35 Stem in 40mm. Both the bars and stem are lighter than stock. Tires are Assegai Front, and Dissector rear which definitely are on the heavy side.

As planted as this bike is, especially on descents, the weight penalty for a long travel trail bike going uphill is significant compared to longer travel carbon rigs, including Enduros options in the 31lb range. I guess it all depends on what's important to you and your type of riding, but I wish I had a much lighter bike despite the positive attributes of this model.

What size is your bike?

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 8:10 Quote
no-good-ideas wrote:
TBro wrote:

What size is your bike?

I have a medium 2021 TR at 36.04 lbs

I'm not unhappy with the TR. I purchased mine back in 2020 and have been riding it for over a year. It's a great bike for what it is and I was fortunate to get one before the price increase happened. I paid $3999 which makes it a bargain for how it's spec'd. I'm 56 years old so maybe the weight takes it's toll on me compared to a younger rider, but I'm in a position financially to afford a lighter weight carbon rig assuming I can actually get my hands on one. If we were only talking a lb or two, then I would question my sanity for wanting to spend that much on such a small return in weight savings but if I pulled the trigger on an SB130 Lunch Ride that would be 6lbs I wouldn't have to lug around. After a couple of hours of riding with a lot of climbing, the weight penalty on this bike really takes its toll IMO.

Specialized Enduro Comp is one of the lightest I've seen at 29.67
SB130 Lunch Ride is between 30-31 depending on which trim package you choose
Transition Sentinel is 30.7
Evil the Wreckoning is 32lbs but includes a coil shock and Zeb fork
Ibis Ripmo is 31

Some of these are without pedals so that will change these numbers slightly. I didn't factor cost of these other bikes as a consideration but for a lot of people some of these models may be unaffordable.

In comparison, the Ripmo AF is 2lbs lighter than the Meta TR

Posted: Oct 24, 2021 at 5:00 Quote
In my opinion, the comparison here is problematic for the following reasons:

1) Each build is different. I rode both the Meta TR race and the Ride build, and I can say the the Race build is heavier.

2) One of the perks of the Meta TR is how durable the frame is. Just go into the different owners groups online and see how much "light" frames are getting broken.
For how durable and confident aspiring it is, the Meta TR actually feels light in my opinion. And The race build is by far the heaviest.

3) Carbon is not neccesarily better. Its basically giving the same strength for lighter weight, but giving up flexibility and basically "crispier" then Aluminium. I personally prefer Aluminium and willingly pedal an extra 1 kg for it. Its really not that bad...

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 8:13 Quote
I am on my second meta Am29 now. A ‘21 model RS. In between this one and my 2019, I thought I wanted a lighter weight AM/Enduro rig so I bought a Santa Cruz Hightower CC. 33lbs with pedals and cushcore with Exo+ casings. Didnt really like it that much. Felt I was giving up too much on long decents and steeper tech. Now my Meta with a Zeb, super deluxe ultimate, DT Swiss 240s/ex471, cushcore exo+ tires, aluminum bar and cranks must weigh (afraid to weigh) in the 37lb range, but wouldn’t give it up for the type of trails that are in my area,PNW. Find that these bikes are bulletproof for one, but just allow to take advantage of just about anything you come across and the price is so reasonable. Have noticed Transitions build spec’s-and pricing, now pretty much mirror commencals.

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 14:38 Quote
oldnw wrote:
I am on my second meta Am29 now. A ‘21 model RS. In between this one and my 2019, I thought I wanted a lighter weight AM/Enduro rig so I bought a Santa Cruz Hightower CC. 33lbs with pedals and cushcore with Exo+ casings. Didnt really like it that much. Felt I was giving up too much on long decents and steeper tech. Now my Meta with a Zeb, super deluxe ultimate, DT Swiss 240s/ex471, cushcore exo+ tires, aluminum bar and cranks must weigh (afraid to weigh) in the 37lb range, but wouldn’t give it up for the type of trails that are in my area,PNW. Find that these bikes are bulletproof for one, but just allow to take advantage of just about anything you come across and the price is so reasonable. Have noticed Transitions build spec’s-and pricing, now pretty much mirror commencals.

You're absolutely spot on with the type of trails you typically ride dictating your bike selection. I live in Minnesota(Twin Cities) so our trails just don't even compare to the PNW and other mountain regions like Colorado, Utah, etc. The TR is amazing on descents just like your AM, but there are just not enough of them to justify the weight for regular trail riding with punchy climbs, and a few jumps and drops sprinkled in. I appreciate the bullet proof durability as well, but for what I see on a day to day basis for trails, I would love to have a bike with similar travel around that 30lb mark. Even the new carbon Spectral models are sub 30lbs. I guess I need to move to a more Mountainous region.

Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 11:44 Quote
@TBro, for sure. Probably a 130/140 carbon bike for your local would be perfect.

Posted: Nov 20, 2021 at 8:49 Quote
oldnw wrote:
@TBro, for sure. Probably a 130/140 carbon bike for your local would be perfect.

I ordered a 2022 Esker Rowl 150/140 in the R3 build witch comes in at 29 lbs before pedals. ETA is next April just in time for riding season. Hopefully I can get another ride or two in over the Thanksgiving weekend and then will be putting the Meta TR up for sale to help pay for the Rowl. Looking forward to a lightweight all mountain rig that can do everything well.
My shop also sells Pivot and I was seriously looking/lusting after a Switchblade but the lead time on new orders is 18 months out so I abandoned that idea. I like supporting smaller boutique brands that are based in the USA. You would never see me on a Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc. Just not my thing. Don't get me wrong, the Stumpjumper EVO looks amazing. I just like to have something unique and different than everyone else. I guess that is one of the reasons that led me to Commencal. You just don't see a lot of those in MN.

I had an opportunity to speak with Tim at Esker who is one of the founders and is also based in Minnesota. Not too often you can pick up the phone and speak directly with one of the owners of a mountain bike manufacturer. I'm really excited about the Dave Weagle designed Orion suspension as the reviews have been great.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005738
Mobile Version of Website